collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do pony flaws bother you?

Yes! I pick through all the ponies to find the perfect one.
12 (29.3%)
Not really, minor flaws are fine. I don't like major ones like scratches on the eye/symbol, stray hair plugs or excess glue.
15 (36.6%)
I don't really care.
4 (9.8%)
I'm not picky at all! I love all ponies!
7 (17.1%)
N/A - I buy ponies online so I don't have much of a choice. :P
1 (2.4%)
Not really, minor flaws are fine. Misaligned eyes are the worst though!
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: How picky are you with ponies? (with print errors and hair flaws etc)  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
Today I received a translucent Starlight Glimmer from an online retailer. (I usually buy ponies in store but she was so hard to track down!) I noticed her right eye is misaligned - it was printed a bit too much to the left and missed the oval indent where the eye should be printed on. :(

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It bugs me but I don't really want to go through the hassle of returning her, and the retailer might just send me another flawed pony anyway. :huh: And I guess this devalues her a bit too... but anyway!

I was wondering, how welcoming of pony errors are other collectors? Or am I just too picky? :blush: Surely I'm not the only perfectionist pony collector out there! :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:09:27 PM by Cadence »
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How picky are you with ponies? (with print errors and hair flaws etc)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 02:21:09 PM »
You have a right to be as picky as you want to be.

I, on the other hand, am not really picky at all. I have a lot of flawed ponies in my collection. I just want them to be in good condition. They don't have to be mint. I even bought G1 Cascade recently with a haircut. Factory flaws bother me even less.

You'll see there are lots of differences in collectors when it comes to this area. Collect how you like.....picky or not.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »
I don't mind most of em! I don't like really bad body head mismatch, especially if its going to be a set completer that I'm spending a lot of time hunting down.

but most things are fixable, so not much bothers me!
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 02:29:54 PM »
i, personally dont care about minor factory flaws. I care more about the quality of the hair, but i have a few G4s where the eyes are not centered correctly, even tho they are from the first few years of FiM.

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 03:29:54 PM »
Lol, I cannot tell you how long I will stand there comparing every pony on the shelf to find the least flawed one. Eyes are my #1, symbols, body and hair all next. I think I have mild OCD. :blush:

I'm much more forgiving with previous generations, but then I've never seen a G1/2/3 with eyewonk. I do have G4 ponies with errors, and most often I find a way to accept it instead of replacing or buying a double... because a lot of the time I can't find better, every pony on the shelf is flawed to some degree (really how hard is it to print the eyes correctly?).
So yeah, you're not the only one. :P
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
I had to stop buying G4s because of all the flaws. The last few I have are up for sale too. I just couldn't take it anymore. Everything is an error with Hasbro and its exhausting.

But as far as older ponies go, I LOVE factory errors! A G1 with a misprinted symbol is one of the jewels of my collection. I dream of MIB G1s, G2s, G3s, and G3.5s with big symbol errors like that.

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »
Newer ponies, ugly factory errors i'll pass but errors that look kinda cool i'll take.But for flaws by their previous owners, i love them.I absolutely love ponies that have been loved by a child, it gives them so much personnality

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 05:25:30 PM »
I guess I'd say that I'm sort of picky. I won't buy G4s with eye misalignment, paint smears, or cutie marks that are too far down the leg. Needless to say...it makes finding ponies hard for me.  :lol:

Offline Kikwifluff

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Bait ponies need love too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 05:30:06 PM »
I love g1 ponies in any kind of condition- I think it gives them more personality. :lovey: :lovey:
And as a few other people said, some flaws can be fixed.
So I don't really mind if my g1 ponies have lots of flaws, I'll display them anyway.   :blush:

But I do understand that some people prefer a pony (of any generation) to be in better shape- it just depends on the collector, I think  ^.^

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 05:59:16 PM »
But for flaws by their previous owners, i love them.I absolutely love ponies that have been loved by a child, it gives them so much personnality

I forgot about kid-induced flaws! I actually tend to prefer my G1s with haircuts and I love missing tails. "Baity" ponies are best ponies :D

pinkity

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 06:12:35 PM »
At the store, I'm sometimes picky. However, I'm way less picky with blind bags and lots/swapmeet finds. I do find that errors, etc. make the pony very unique!! =^.^= Especially if the pony is a gift, I never nitpick.

Ponies just mean so much to me there's not enough room in my heart for me to be particular unless I haven't bought them yet and I'm choosing one from the store/picking up a blind bag. ;_;

Well... I am actually very picky on Build-A-Bear ponies' faces, on contrary to any other. ^^;

Offline vira

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 09:52:10 PM »
for me, it depends!

im VERY willing to accept flaws on used ponies; haircuts, symbol rub, age spots, and the like are all fine with me! honestly, id even take ones with missing/chewed limbs, just so i can give them a good home! i figure that since theyve been around and played with, its better for me to accept that no pony will be perfect! im glad someone else loved them before me!

however, with new, fresh off cardboard, g4s? i need some quality!

its disappointing to see ponies with misaligned eyes or mangled hair. im okay with head/body color mismatch, because i understand hasbro probably cant use the same kind of chemicals to keep the plastic vibrant as they used to.

but it seems like hasbro should have WAY more control over the quality of other cosmetic features with the g4 ponies, like symbol markings and eye stamps. it sucks that theyre selling carelessly low quality toys to kids; if theyre getting a pony, they at least deserve to have its eyes on the same axis!

anyway, thats just my two cents!  ^.^

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 10:09:12 PM »
im okay with head/body color mismatch, because i understand hasbro probably cant use the same kind of chemicals to keep the plastic vibrant as they used to.

Hasbro is absolutely capable of making ponies without head-body mismatch. Fashion Styles don't suffer from it, or at least the early ones I had don't as far as I know. (Unless it takes years to show up and happened after I sold mine.)

MLP and very cheap toys (often knockoffs) are the only ones that have mismatch to the degree of G4s. Slight mismatch is common, especially with dolls since you often have hard plastic torsos/limbs and vinyl heads, but it is NOT "required". I haven't ever seen a recent doll (ie Barbie, MH, EAH) with mismatch anywhere near as bad as G4s. Hasbro willingly chooses to make this "quality" of product :)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 10:09:42 PM »
For me it depends on the specific pony, where I buy it, and how much I pay.
If I find something at a fleamarket, I am happy, no matter the flaws.
If I find a lot with good ponies, I don't mind the flaws so much either.
However, if I decide to pay a lot of money for a specific pony, then I want it as mint as possible. For example, I'm looking for Tornado right now. If I'd be able to come across him at a fleamarket (hypothetically speaking), I'd be happy beyond words with whatever way he looked. But I'm looking online, so I'm looking for a mint one with pink hair and no flaws at all.

Offline Cadence

• The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 10:35:09 PM »
What a relief to know I'm not the only picky one out there! (Guess perfectionism isn't such a rarity after all - whew :lol:)

I'm okay with imperfection on G1s as well - I just expect a more pristine pony if I'm buying it new. But I guess I haven't many expectations with the current line :P

I just opened my Starlight Glimmer and I have to say, I'm really happy with her despite her misaligned eye stamp. In the end, I grew to accept her flaws. XD
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal