collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have you ever just thrown in the towel  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
Have you ever just thrown in the towel
« on: September 24, 2016, 07:38:32 AM »
I am not a picky collector. I love a good restore and love challenges. I have not done the brightening/whitening of a pony....I want to do more research. As for hair, symbols, eyes, and so forth I am game....

But have you just given up on a pony?

I have flutter pony Yum Yum. Funny story. In my early collecting I was looking for Yum Yum for a swap....did not realize there was two ponies with the same name...so I got the flutter pony and not the white body Pegasus. Hahaha.

Well this girls hair is dry and pouty...makes the 80's hair look flat. So I worked with her and made a tiny bit of progress. I gave her a break and now I am back to working with her. It's been weeks and anything I could try...and I have only see a tiny bit of change.

Do I give up and rehair....or keep going. I will try and post a pictures after her spa treatment.
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever just thrown in the towel
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 07:55:25 AM »
I recently had a pony that took me about 3 months worth of conditioning treatments and a hair straightener to get her hair looking nice. It was worth it in the end though.

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:43:24 AM »
The flat iron can work wonders on some ponies' hair but not others. I'd be interested if others have had success but I haven't found that fluorescent yellow or red hair responds well to heat. Maybe that is the trouble with Yum Yum if you're trying that approach (without looking her up, I'm picturing her as dark purple w/ "electric banana" hair, yes?).
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:51:11 AM »
Try leaving conditioner in for 24 hours.

But yes, I gave up on Sparkler and Paradise. It's like they're determined to have dry hair.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 09:17:24 AM »
I have a skyrocket I got either in a fair to baity lot or at a flea market, her body is hard as a rock and her hair is trimmed and most streaks are frizzy as all hell and beyond repair.

I just gave her a good bath so she'll at least be nice and clean. I would rehair her but I'm afraid I'll break the plastic since I'm a bit brusque sometimes :P

Usually with ponies that have hair beyond hope I'll just wash it, use tons of conditioner and scrub it as soft and shiny as possible and once dry I'll braid it super tight. It helps disguising the crinkly texture, though the tip usually gives it away lol. I did the conditioning thing on my old Firefly and her hair is super soft but it was still frizzy as hell. I suppose some frizz comes to damage to the plastic not so much the dryness (more often it's both tho, that's why I avoid using irons and curlers).

Deep conditioning doesn't help all that much in the long run in my experience (with wigs and ponies), although you could try using a little oil on the hair? Kinda like jojoba or those products for repairing dry human hair (or special conditioner), idk it worked wonders when I dyed my hair blue so maybe it can help ponies with slightly dry hair?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Well, I do know one good trick with dry pony hair. Try fabric softner doesnt matter which. Use a flat iron and it takes the frizz away for the most part. :) I use try it again with Tiny bubbles since she goes into the bathtub alot for play. I dont think I could completely give up on a pony really.

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 04:19:31 PM »
Last night I worked on Curly Lock`s tail forever. The ends of her mane were slightly dry and frizzy but a quick steam straightened them out and are in curlers now. But her tail...I steamed it for a long time, which usually works but not her. I straight ironed it 3 times in tiny little locks, but as soon as it dried it would start to go krinkly again. Its currently soaked in conditioner, pulled out straight and under a heavy book.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 05:08:22 PM »
Sometimes I sell ponies on in mixed lots if they are suffering from plastic breakdown, scrapes or holes that arent easy to fix because I'm not up to full body repaints or sculpting at the moment . I have one lot to sell soon including Moonstone, Gusty, Euro Posey, Masquerade. I'm hoping someone will love them. They are all doubles for me and I have so little space so they have to go.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »
No, I don't give up on ponies. But my situation is a little bit different since I mainly collect baity ponies. If a tail is REALLY bad I might pull it out and let a pony run around tailless, but that's about the furthest I'd go.

I've had a pony sitting around since I got into MLP (five years ago!). Her head isn't on, her horn is falling off, she's FULL of rust/mold I couldn't figure out how to clean, its terrible. But I kept her around in strict quarantine for years. Now that I have more knowledge I can try again and she'll be fine.

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 07:53:33 PM »
I do not have the patience to rehab ponies. I've discovered this with thrift ponies I've found. So I usually just wait until I can find one in a condition I'll be happy with - I usually give up on thrift ponies pretty quickly! As much as for fear of ruining further as anything.

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 07:49:35 AM »
Thanks so much for the tips. This is Yum Yum. I have done some of the tips here and this is what I have so far. She has conditioner in her hair as well.

Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

squishy turdl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 06:38:45 PM »
Conditioner really only does so much.

But I read (a few years ago now) a technique from someone who had restored all these super fuzzy hair and tails to a beautiful shiny condition and they shared their technique (feel free to jump in anyone if you know who it was)...

This is so time consuming your going to (possibly) cry but it does indeed work.

Part 5 hairs out from the mane (no more or it wont work) and straighten them on a low setting. and repeat (for the next hour) until the whole mane is done.. you can then style as normal. Do the same for the tail.

I've done this only a few times for some german Princess Ponies, and it really does work.. but super time consuming.

xxx good luck.

Offline Khayman81

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 08:14:15 PM »
Seeing that hair in Yum Yum l know what you mean... l have 2 or 3 that look that way, l have tried fabric softener and it works better than conditioner, but still is not perfect. Did it to both Galaxy and Buttons and they came out really nice, washing it out after 2 days of "conditioning " worked better. Must try once the long and boring technique, it can't be worse than deflocking... or maybe....anyway, they say everywhere to try to work with parts of the hair and not the complete mane or tail. And as far as I have done that with softener it works well.
What did some good stuff with the deflocked ones is the hot water. They come out from it really shiny and pretty easy to comb (tried with Paradise and Bouncy).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:16:01 PM by Khayman81 »
My wish list
My sales
Instagram: mlpsanti
Check my eBay profile for sales https://www.ebay.es/usr/santiagroz0

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 08:32:56 PM »
Is she soaking in conditioner? It looks like there's not any in her hair. Add more! I use 2-4x as much on ponies as I do when I wash my own hair. Using a TON and letting it "soak" for a while makes a huge difference.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:34:37 PM by Taxel »

Offline Khayman81

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 10:53:33 PM »
By the way, does it work with sunshine ponies? Mine have nice color hair and the white stripe is awful. Thought for Beachball it changes in the sun, for Wave Runner the mane does not change anymore  :cry:
My wish list
My sales
Instagram: mlpsanti
Check my eBay profile for sales https://www.ebay.es/usr/santiagroz0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal