collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Was MLP at one point produced by Marvel...? o.0  (Read 709 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Was MLP at one point produced by Marvel...? o.0
« on: September 17, 2016, 10:01:45 AM »
My random youtube wanderings yesterday brought me to a video made by Butch Hartman (the guy who created Fairly Oddparents, Danny Phantom, etc.) and in the video he mentions he "worked on the original My Little Pony years ago at Marvel Productions." Here's the spot in the video when he mentions it:

https://youtu.be/9n1lxyO9MOk?t=1m37s

I must say I am very confused and intrigued! At some point, was there a Marvel company doing the G1 cartoon? Or was this a MLP series that never aired? I figured the Arena would be the best place to ask, there's so many people here with so much MLP knowledge. Can anyone shed some light on this subject, for my curiosity's sake?

(If you check out Butch Hartman's wiki page, in the 'early career' section it says he worked on An American Tail and shortly after that, he worked as character designer and storyboard artist for "an unidentified My Little Pony animated series" so I assume this was an 80's thing.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Hartman

Ideas?
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
Re: Was MLP at one point produced by Marvel...? o.0
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
This is true!
Marvel was one of the animation companies hasbro licensed to produce the very first my little pony special
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:13:31 AM »
Yes, the original series was done by Sunbow/Marvel. They did a lot of Hasbro's properties back in their hey-day.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 10:13:54 AM »
Marvel Productions worked alongside Griffin-Bacal's Sunbow Productions to make Hasbro's cartoons in the 80's.  Marvel Productions was a separate entity from Marvel Comics but owned by the same parent company, Cadence, which changed them name from DePatie-Ferleng Enterprises when they bought it out in 1981.

So, no, Marvel Comics had no hand in making the My Little Pony series like they did with G.I. Joe and the Transformers.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 10:15:21 AM »
Aha! Looks like it was pretty common knowledge I just had no idea about at all. XD

Thanks for helping me solve the mystery!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal