collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A Question for Fiction - What Would Paradise Estate Actually Be Like?  (Read 558 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
One thing that bugged me in My Little Pony and Friends was Paradise Estate was a little too "on-model".  Even as a kid it was hard to swallow the ponies, who everyone wanted dead, would give away a fortified castle for a house that didn't have a fence around the back.  Even making it bigger on the inside to solve the space issue, it felt like the ponies downgraded because it was the new playset.

And it was clearly the superior playset compared to Dream Castle.  It was larger, more detailed, and well thought out.  The Dream Castle playset was three walls with towers between them and an assortment of typical castle accessories.  Paradise Estate had actual rooms with the appropriate accessories.

However, the specials made Dream Castle seem like the perfect home for the ponies.  It was a fortress they could seek safety within and the ballroom at the end of Escape From Catrina was gorgeous.  They took those three walls and made them so much more.  But the series didn't do much to make Paradise Estate seem more like the playset outside of adding square footage.

So, fair reader, without the budget constraints, what do you think Paradise Estate would be in media (television, comics, prose)?  How would you make it more than what the playset is in reality?

I like an idea some have proposed that Paradise Estate, going by Paradise's backcard story, is an abandoned walled town or outpost North Star and Paradise found.  The two side buildings would hold small apartments, common areas, a kitchen and dining hall, and a nursery.  Between them would be an open area with tables and chairs and a swimming pool under a glass roof.  However, and I like the idea, add a manor as the back with rooms like a library, ballroom, and meeting room.

Anyway, Paradise Estate.  How would you make its fiction depiction as superior to Dream Castle as the playset was?
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: A Question for Fiction - What Would Paradise Estate Actually Be Like?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »
Well, we know it's poorly built because it started falling apart shortly after they moved in . . . :P

I think my idea, for fanfic, was that it was an isolated hippie commune.  It was nowhere near Dream Castle.  It was just out in the middle of nowhere.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 03:53:08 PM »
"Welcome to Paradise Estate, man.  I'm surprised you found it."
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 03:58:12 PM »
It used to belong to Night Shade and he sold it to Mr. Moochik to pay off some of his debts.  The ponies saw it as a good real estate investment with all of the amenities it had and since their castle was outdated and in need of serious remodeling anyway (all those attacks on the ponies had taken their toll on the foundation of the castle), they gave it to the Grundles and moved.  (This wasn't really as nice of a move as they wanted everyone to think because the Grundles spent a lot of time and money trying to fix up the place so it was useable.) Mr. Moochik failed to inform the ponies of the serious magical termite issues in Paradise Estate so there was a lengthy court battle over who was going to pay for it and by the time everything was sorted out the Grundles had decided it was easier to get the flutter ponies to de-smooze Grundle Land and they moved back, leaving Dream Castle to fall into ruin.  However, the legend of Dream Castle was passed down through the pony generations and was later rediscovered by a young explorer named Daring Do...

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 04:01:57 PM »
I like your idea Al, especially because you're basing it on a backcard story.

When I think of the name without putting too much thought into the building itself, I think of a spa / resort for really rich ponies.

Then I started thinking some silly stuff:
What if it was actually a big scam run by a villain that was eventually chased out, leaving the place to become abandoned? That would give it a reason to be run down, because it would have been abandoned by the owners. Or it could have been taken over and rebuilt to add all the amenities (library, nursery, etc).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 05:29:55 PM »
Well, we know it's poorly built because it started falling apart shortly after they moved in . . . :P

I think my idea, for fanfic, was that it was an isolated hippie commune.  It was nowhere near Dream Castle.  It was just out in the middle of nowhere.

:lol:

I imagine it would be a magically enhanced space, like in Harry Potter and is a large house with several bedrooms , kitchen indoor pool and an atrium room.

Let's just say if Barbie was a pony, this would be her house.

Post Merge: September 12, 2016, 05:31:25 PM

It used to belong to Night Shade and he sold it to Mr. Moochik to pay off some of his debts.  The ponies saw it as a good real estate investment with all of the amenities it had and since their castle was outdated and in need of serious remodeling anyway (all those attacks on the ponies had taken their toll on the foundation of the castle), they gave it to the Grundles and moved.  (This wasn't really as nice of a move as they wanted everyone to think because the Grundles spent a lot of time and money trying to fix up the place so it was useable.) Mr. Moochik failed to inform the ponies of the serious magical termite issues in Paradise Estate so there was a lengthy court battle over who was going to pay for it and by the time everything was sorted out the Grundles had decided it was easier to get the flutter ponies to de-smooze Grundle Land and they moved back, leaving Dream Castle to fall into ruin.  However, the legend of Dream Castle was passed down through the pony generations and was later rediscovered by a young explorer named Daring Do...

Head canon accepted  :P
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »
In my head PE was always like a ponified version of the Golden Girls' house. 

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 10:04:41 AM »

I love it!

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 02:02:23 PM »
I guess if I were ever going to really think about it, I would assume the playset is only part of the whole. They couldn't actually sell anything that held every pony in Ponyland, so this is the closest it was gonna get. But Paradise Estate, the whole thing, went on and on and on forever, like a town or a hippie commune. Like the opposite of the front facades on Wild West Towns.

I love reading everyone else's little mini-stories! I love you guys!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »
I was watching Fawlty Towers last night and I changed my mind . . . It's obviously a run-down hotel, poorly run by a frentic, angry, rude pony.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 02:10:17 PM »

Lol I love that show! I am re-binge watching all seasons right now! I'm currently on season 3- the girls are having their garage converted into a guest room.  :lol:

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 03:05:42 PM »
I was watching Fawlty Towers last night and I changed my mind . . . It's obviously a run-down hotel, poorly run by a frentic, angry, rude pony.
Maybe that's why Cheeries Jubilee was so up in Paradise's grill in Revolt of Paradise Estate.

I do think it's more like a walled outpost, maybe a big trading center in its heyday.  It has all of the facilities the ponies had in Dream Castle only with more practical space.  There is a manor house for a lord/lady with many of the facilities Dream Castle had.  There are apartments, shops, and eateries for the citizens and visitors.  The open area is a large square with tables and chairs and an Olympic-sized swimming pool in a glass structure.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal