collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: White pony age marks.  (Read 364 times)

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
White pony age marks.
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:52:50 AM »
Anyone know why the white ponies seem to get more age marks? I'm thinking Gingerbread, Chief, BNG Bouquet. But then again I don't see many Princess Tiffanys with age marks! I'm thinking maybe it's the type of plastic used?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: White pony age marks.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 03:37:55 AM »
Likely down to plastic formula / supplier.  Certain ponies almost never crop up with some problems, while others are notorious for them. If it was just an age/storage/environment vector, that wouldn't be the case.  The more translucent whites seem to be more prone (early Starshines, Gingerbread, etc.) to both for age spots and burning. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 05:08:09 AM »
Thanks, that was what I was thinking. It's such a shame that it's so difficult to find certain ponies without age marks.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:14:26 AM »
I sometimes wonder if it not only has to do with the plastic but what the location/weather was like when they were made. Like how some paints don't set right if it's super humid. I wonder if the same thing happens to ponies?

Offline sleepykris

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • my avatar was done by the talented aluke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 03:18:50 PM »
I think it has to do with the material used.  US Confetti is notorious for turning yellow and cancer, while I see a lot of Wedding Bells Confetti in pretty good shape.  It took me forever to find the US pose in good enough condition and she was fairly expensive compared to my other more mint condition ponies.  Gusty ponies seems to fare pretty well also. 

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 01:41:34 AM »
I sometimes wonder if it not only has to do with the plastic but what the location/weather was like when they were made. Like how some paints don't set right if it's super humid. I wonder if the same thing happens to ponies?

Doesn't seem likely given that certain ponies were produced over multiple years, and yet still seem to have commonality in their problems.  Where you do see a split, there's almost always an obvious difference to the plastic - see Starshine as a classic example, who must have had multiple production runs evidenced by variations in hair color / symbol size / underpaint.  Most Starshines burn when exposed to the sun, and also get age spots, and have a slightly milky, off white plastic type.  There are also Starshines (possibly mail orders, and/or just ones made at a different factory or supplied with a different batch of plastic) that are more opaque white, don't burn, and hardly ever crop up with age spots.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal