collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's Talk About Your Pony Collection!  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Let's Talk About Your Pony Collection!
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 10:14:42 AM »
-Do you collect all products or just a specific variety/generation?

I collect G1. I have some of all generations, but I only really consider my G1 stuff a collection. The rest is for fun. And grooming.

-What sort of lines of pony products do you collect?
Ponies,  G1 plushies (though if I can persuade sister I want to downsize those), dream beauties, Petites, accessories, playsets. Comics. MIP. Backcards! This is my real obsession, I have over 200, some of which are very difficult to find. They're all part of my piecing back together the history of ponies through the eighties, I guess. I especially love the UK ones, of course - my childhood.

-Is there a specific pony or ponies you have an army/armies of?
I don't really go in for armies, though my sister has a Posey one and a Cotton Candy one. I guess I have two accidental ones, though -small ones. One is Tropical Breeze. I had her as a child, so that's one. I bought a mint upgrade one to display, so that's two. I snared one MIB in European box, so that's three. I bought one from a seller in the US who had bought her from Harrods in the UK and thus had her UK box with her, and I liked her story so kept her, that's four. Then I have one that I adopted because I felt sorry for her for $3 and who I take on trips with me, so that's five. Plus there's one in my trade box at present, which would make six. And my Dad has one, because he always liked Tropi's bright colours, so technically seven in the family?

The other is Dancing Butterflies. I had her as a child, so one. My friend gave me her ponies when she stopped playing with them and obviously I wouldn't sell those, so I have hers too, so two. I bought one recently with her backcard, so three. My sister has one in her box, so four. And I have one in the trade box with her UK card now, so five.

-What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies

These days it's price. Price and the fact the ponies I need are really scarce and expensive. Also the risk factor these days seems much higher in terms of scamming. And the current exchange rate isn't helpful. Most especially, though, it's finding backcards and packaging stuff people have actually kept and not destroyed after 30 years. Every single one I obtain is a little piece of treasure to me, but to most people it's just a piece of card...

-What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections

Buy what you like and can afford. Don't be swayed by other people's opinions or by what you think is hard to find or rare or desireable. Pony collecting isn't about value but about affection for what you are buying. That's true of all collections. You should do it because you love it, not because you think it's a good financial investment or you want to be able to join in all the people sharing their Mimic pictures. Ponies may or may not ultimately hold their monetary value, but the emotional value is permanent, so far more important. Your collection is fine the way you want it, even if it isn't the collection someone else has :)

It does help though if you are new to check with people more experienced about prices to pay for ponies, so you don't get ripped off on ebay. But still, find a pony you like and start there. (Just try not to start of by liking Rapunzel, or you're in for a hard time!)

Oh yes! Also, DON'T RUSH! Take your time. There are thousands of ponies out there. If you don't win the exact first one you saw on Ebay, take a breath and go again. There will always be another one of most ponies. Don't get caught in a bidding war.

Other Collections

Jem and Monster High, the latter of which is casual/when I like a doll I go after it so long as it isn't at a stupid price. Jem has different collecting rules to MLP, though. Not least be careful who you deal with, as some Jem people are lovely, but some are ruthless. While that has happened in the pony world too, I have not seen it quite as fierce here.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:17:18 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »
I collect all gens.

Anything I come across. But my favorite is anything G1

I have a blossom Army and an applejack/apple family on purpose. As well as unintentional armies of the Mane 6.

Because I collect from every gen its hard to decide which gen to spend my "pony money" on each pay period. And there is usually a bunch of sales on all at the same time, then the next time I go shopping there are only ponies that I already have.
There are also a bunch of pony collectors in my area so its hard to get there before all the new ponies have been picked over.

Buy the Summer Hayes books. To ID the ones you have, keep track of what you have and ID the ones you want.
Check out thrift stores. You can pick up ponies cheap and if they aren't the ones you want you can sell/trade them for the ones you do.
Also get friends or family to help you hunt. My husband and mother love to hunt for ponies that I don't have and are just as excited as I am when they find something I want.

Also, if you collect things other than MLP, feel free to talk about those too!
decorative eggs, crystals and real live miniature horses

GypsyTails

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »

I collect g1s, though I do have a few g3s (mainly because they were on clearance and looked sad at the time)

Mainly loose figures and accessories but I'm also working on playsets. I love cells and posters too. The only exceptions for me are the SHS ponies - just not into those.

Nope, no armies.

With the G1s it's very rare to go out and find them at flea markets or yard sales (I've never found one) People who aren't collectors also seem to think they're worth A LOT more then they are half the time haha

hmmm Join the arena? :)

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »
I'm working on collecting all brushables of G2 and G4, otherwise it's just whatever I happen to like.

Brushable ponies, the regular Funko figures, and some plush for the most part I think?

Besides the mane 6 I somehow ended up with 3 pink heart Dazzleglows who I absolutely adore. I don't know if I will add to that or not, I quite like having an army of her.

Easy is finding ponies I'd love to take home, challenging is having the money to take them home lol.

Patience is key

Kitty Kitty Kittens, Merwees, Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders, Lion King - Jungle Friend Babies, 90s Littlest Pet Shop. I'd also like to start collecting Disney Palace Pets.

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2016, 06:06:30 AM »

G1 only.

I have a "thing" for certain types of pony. I love so-softs and any ponies with ringlets and lots of hair to style- so Brush and Grows! I love the princess ponies too. I've started to get into Big Brothers and I'm also a Cool Breeze away from a full set of Windy Wings. I don't collect accessories, playsets, sea ponies or baby ponies (except Baby Princess Sparkle who I adore!). I'd love to collect backcards and comics.

No, I don't have space, and (I might be slated for this) but I think it's not very fair on other collectors if they're looking for that certain pony that you have an army of.

-What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies?

Easy- communicating with other collectors via the arena/Facebook etc, which makes it easier to buy, and most collectors I've bought/sold from have been lovely. People are generally very honest about the condition of ponies.

Challenging- having to say no to myself. I would buy a massive amount of ponies if I didn't. Having to be sensible with money. Getting obsessive about collecting too- I tend to go through phases where I buy and sell more ponies than usual. It's also quite a lonely hobby, despite the online communication. I'm still aware that friends and family think it's a bit weird to collect ponies. Space to display them.

-What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections?[/b]

I think I'd agree with what others have said about setting limits on which ponies you will buy, and budgeting for them too. I like what Taffetta said about not getting caught up in the hype for certain ponies, like Mimic and Rapunzel. My favourite ponies in my collection are the ones I love to look at most- for me that's the Raincurl ponies and my So-softs. I think also, allowing yourself not to feel like you have to complete a set of ponies. When buying from abroad expect to pay customs fees! Leave enough money in your budget for this.

Angels, fairies, unicorns, pegasus, fantasy art.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:36:40 AM by Rachel8125 »

Offline Primaltimediamond

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2016, 09:35:34 AM »

G 1,2 and 3 I'm not a huge fan of the G4 look 

I try to collect as much as I can :3 though my collection is pretty small, I'm looking into restoring some of the ponies, some were second hand so their manes are all tangled D: poor darlings

No :c

Looking up the ones I wish to own, findinf them on the other hand...specially since I know I'll have to look online, accesories are going to be difficult too since most break/get lost over time :c

I'm no master collector I could use the tips myself haha xD

I'm really into megablocks dragons! they are so cool! :D even though it took me many years to discover there were also playsets of it, in my country we only got the dragon eggs

I also collect sleich fantasy toys, horses, animals and dinosaurs. I also am attempting to collect Champion horses

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 10:50:22 AM »

bit of both, really. I have every generation on my shelf, but my favourites are G1s. I just buy what I like, regardless of generation. I reign it in a little and focus on G1/3 because otherwise I would have no room in my house.

I love the weird merchandise. I have an apron, stickers, mugs, that sort of stuff. I'm looking for a radio, and the records/casettes at the moment. I'm a record collector, so having a pony record would be a nice crossover.

I have a rainbow dash army, but I only add to it in small amounts. It's not huge, but it's not tiny, either. I also had a Gusty army, but I haven't added any more to the three I have. There are so many common ponies I don't have, I love the idea of armies, but with the ponies I would want to have an army of rising in price, I don't see the point when I could just buy different ponies. One day I'd love to have a custom Tex of each generation and made a Tex army.

It's easy to find ponies I like and don't have, very easy. It's also very easy for me to buy ponies if the price is right. On the other hand, I'm pretty tight, so it's hard to find a price I'm happy with. And it's also hard to let go of ponies.

Make a list of the ponies you like, look at the styles and types you like. Figure out what you want to collect, or you'll end up like me. It looks like my collection is neat, but I have two bins of G3's under my bed to sort through!

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Draikinator

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 11:48:34 AM »
Do you collect all products or just a specific variety/generation?
Theoretically all! But mostly I just collect brushables. I'll pick up periphery stuff when I can, sure, like if I'm in the dollar store and see some mlp puzzles I'll buy them, if I see a cool castle playset I'll buy it, but in the spreadsheet I keep track of my collection in I don't actually include that stuff. I mark down the plushies I pick up, but I don't go out of my way looking for those, either.

What sort of lines of pony products do you collect?
I think probably my biggest and buffest collection is G4s- they're just so EASY to pick up, you know? I go to the target for milk. oh look! there's more G4s. I'll just buy them I guess. G3s I have a lot of too, mostly because I keep finding lots of them at flea markets haha. I wasn't originally intending to collect g2s, but now that I have some in hand I think they might actually be my favourite orz. g3.5s I keep in a box in my closet. lol

I am a HUGE sucker for gimmicks. :heart: My favouirte g1s are a tie between twice as fancy ponies and boy ponies and i would die for a twice as fancy boy ahahahha

Is there a specific pony or ponies you have an army/armies of?
G4 pinkie pies, but not on purpose.  :rolleyes: I try not to hang on to doubles if I can't help it.

What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies?
A lot of pony collecting for me is the thrill of the hunt! My favourite thing is digging through flea market bins for a dirty g1 to restore. I actually much prefer to buy something in Really Not Good condition and restore it than buy it in collector condition, believe it or not. There's really something valuable about giving something very well loved a forever collector home, I guess. What I find is most challenging is hunting in the north where I live now, because yard sales just dont seem to be popular here. >:x I find restoring ponies and spa days really easy and relaxing. I love spending nine hours doing pony hair and scrubbing dirt. i luv it.

What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections?
hmmmmm I guess start off by buying some big lots off of craigslist I suppose, and then you can work on getting individuals after you have a bunch of them for a much better price? That, or sit down and decide which ones you want and which ones you dont if you dont want to just go for All and stick to that list.
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2016, 02:11:46 PM »

I collect G1, G3, G4.

What?

Nope

What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies?
Finding room to put them all

What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections?

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2016, 03:13:52 PM »

I only collect G3 because those were the ones that were on the shelves when I was younger.

I collect the regular G3 ponies. Like, not Ponyville, Tiny Tin, Prize, Plush, or Breezies. I do, though, collect the babies.

Well, I have two different versions of Sparkleworks, but two isn't really an army.  :P

Since G3 ponies are no longer in stores and are discontinued, I think actually finding them is the most challenging part. I usually have to rely on garage sales and flea markets. Sure there's eBay, but sometimes ponies on there can be expensive, which leads me into my next challenge. Money. I'm only fifteen so I don't have an official job and I and my parents don't buy me everything (which they shouldn't) so I have to save up in order to go on a pony shopping spree. Also, I can't drive yet, so I have to have my parents chauffer me to the garage sales and flea markets. That's another challenge.
One thing I find easy is having fun while collecting. I love the high I get when I find a pony I've been looking for, and it's tons of fun to check ponies off my wishlist. 

-What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections?

Since I don't know much about the other generations, I'll just give advice on collecting G3 ponies. :)I suggest you go to http://www.strawberryreef.com/index.html (Mods: If this is a competing site, please remove this link. Thanks!)  to look at the different ponies, decide which lines you want to collect, and choose your favorites so you know which ones to look out for. My tip then is to go to lots of garage sales and flea markets since those are the best places to find G3 My Little Pony.

My collection includes:

•   Amberlocks
•   Bee Bop
•   Butterscotch
•   Cheerilee
•   Desert Rose
•   July Larkspur
•   Loop-de-la
•   Petal Blossom
•   Pinkie Pie
•   Pink Sunsparkle
•   Rainbow Dash
•   Rainbow Flash
•   Rainbow Sunrise
•   Rarity
•   Scootaloo
•   Sky Wishes
•   Sno-Glo
•   Sparkleworks (x2)
•   Star Catcher
•   Sunset Sweety
•   Tink-a-tink-a-too
•   Twinkle Twirl

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 03:24:53 PM by respositob »

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »

I mainly focus on G1 and G2 but a few G3s and G4s have caught my eye from time to time (in addition to my childhood G3 herd)

Err... ponies? I'm not too fussed on merchandise. There isn't really any lines within G1 and G2 that I wouldn't collect though, I don't really have a focus on particular sets, just random ponies that I like :)

I've got a few duplicates here and there, but no real 'armies' to speak of, unless you count my accidental G3 Rarity army (5 and counting...), I swear she's the most common secondhand pony around these parts!

I can't think of anything that I consider 'easy', but the challenging part is the price! I live in Australia and shipping from the US in pretty damn pricey (certain states may as well be located on the moon with shipping costs like those for such a small item!) and people who do sell ponies over here tend to price them higher than what they're worth as a result, I guess...

Buy bait lots and fix them up - you can find some real gems! A perfectly white Princess Tiffany whose only flaw was a scratched eye in a lot of nine for only $30ish AUD has been my best find so far! That and SS Taffy for 50c in an online store...
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2016, 05:58:13 PM »
Do you collect all products or just a specific product/generation?  I mostly collect G1s.  I have the two G3's I've really wanted.

What lines or products do you collect?  I'm concentrating on Years 2-5 of G1.  I know they're common, but they're the ponies I like.

Ponies I have an army of?  I have So Soft, deflocked, and Euro Wind Whistler best pony ever

What's easy and what's challenging?  It's easy to find ponies.  It's difficult have the income to sustain purchasing them.

Tips for beginners.  Figure out what pony is your favorite and start from there.  Your first pony will form the nucleus of your new collection.  From there go with other ponies you really like.  Your collection is an expression of your love for this franchise.

Other Collections.  I have collections of Star Trek light up/sfx ships, original Thomas the Tank Engine die cast toys, a tube of Pogs, and Star Trek, Star Wars, and Babylon 5 Micro Machines.  Oh, and I have both sets of Marble Works.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:06:17 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2016, 06:17:22 PM »
Seriously collecting- G1. I love them. Most of my fondness is the US/Canada set. My next big goal would be UK exclusive ponies. :)
G2's what I can find.
G3, G4 whatever I think is pretty that will still fit in my other gen box (I limit anything that is not my G1 pony collection to strict amounts of space- once that space is gone something needs to be sold for a new item to fit in)

Ponies, accessories, softies, merch.

Anything I like. Seaponies, Plush/clean so softs, pretty curls, and Surprise (the pegasus) seems to be my weaknesses.

What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies

Availability and cost. I miss out on many deals exclusive to USA shipping addresses. Exchange Shipping/customs is making me more careful about when and when not to buy (i.e I wouldn't buy one comb I am missing and pay $14 in shipping if I know I can find it in a lot of many pony items at some point). (Not the postal services fault. postal employees need to make a living too)

What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections
1) ID websites and books. look at them, ask for links. take your time and see what's out there. The biggest, ponies are often themed, for G1 remember the details and the SET types fuzzy one = so soft, knob on chest = dance n' prance. If you know the set a pony could have come from she/he is SO much easier to look up and find a name for!

2) Set aside a safe place for the collection you plan. (best is cool, dry, dark. if yellowing or faded would make you sad, you need somewhere protected from sunlight. pets sometimes think ponies are awesome chew toys!- eek so keep em out of fuzzy monsters reach!)
Also, plan to keep your collection catalogued. keep information like where you found each pony/lot (place, seller, country), what came with them, what you spent, what condition did the seller sell them in, did they get fixed up by you, what did you do to them? :)

3) make a wishlists of the ones you really love from browsing cool sites, or the collectors guide (year released, set name, pony name- how that pony should look in the condition you want- save online photos for reference!). Use ebay completed listing to price your wishlist. :) keep copies on you. you will know when you spot an amazing deal if you have your list handy.

4) How someone else collects is irrelevant. Collecting anything is a waste of money if you are doing it in a way to "fit in" and not for joy. Just remember you do not need all the accessories or walls of MOC's to be a real collector. Think of how do YOU enjoy the hobby!  Do you like finding destroyed ponies and making customs? so you like restoring sad, neglected ponies? Collector value is irreverent, so is what other people say is hot or popular is irrelevant if those ponies don't bring you any awesome feelings.

3) bait ponies (poor condition ones which are not rare or worth much) are PERFECT practice ponies for fixing and testing. these are the ones to test out flat ironing frizzy hair, or trying a mark remove method on, etc etc. if you make a mistake, you haven't mistakenly damaged one of your collection ponies. :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:22:22 PM by FantasticFirefly »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal