collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Storing Dos & Don'ts  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Pony Storing Dos & Don'ts
« on: August 15, 2016, 11:50:49 PM »
I know, this must be the millionth thread of it's kind, so if linking to other topics is more appropriate I understand.

I'm seeking advice on the absolute 'Dos and Don'ts' of putting ponies in storage.
With particular focus on long term storage in the hot/humid Australian climate. I'm possibly going to be moving somewhere I can't take my collection for years on end, so they'll have to stay in the family home until I settle down somewhere permanent.

My collection consists of: loose & MOC/MIB of all 4 generations, plus customs (sculpted and painted)... As well as fakies, MIB Sweetie Pups and Monster High dolls.

I'm thinking plastic tubs but I need details... Any advice is greatly appreciate!
- Do I wrap ponies in acid free tissue paper?
- Should they be loosely packed to avoid warping plastic?
- Would chucking some silica packets in be a good idea to soak up moisture?
- Can MIB ponies stain other boxes?
- What's the best way of storing MOC?
- Will being in the dark damage them at all?
- Should I expect to find more age spots and such each time I check them?

Gah, I feel so ignorant, please help me  :blush:
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: Pony Storing Dos & Don'ts
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:52:42 AM »
You should call your local library or historical society and see if they have any advice for storing them in the local climate. I saw this tip for another toy line recently and its genius. They might not be able to help with storage ideas for ponies specifically but they could probably provide some information at least.

The only answer I know for sure is this one:
"- Will being in the dark damage them at all?"
Darkness is best! Light actually damages collectibles. Both sunlight and indoor lighting can be harmful so its a delicate balance to find. Collection rooms should be kept dark if no one's in them so dark storage should be absolutely fine.

I would avoid packing up customs if possible since there's so many variables to consider, like how different brands of paint and sealer react to different things. Is there any chance you could leave them in a safe display case, cabinet, or drawer?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 04:02:21 AM »
I personally buy heaps of silica packets online, and pop a dozen or so per tub, as well as tissue paper and fabric in a plastic rubbermaid. I use fabric, because I'm paranoid about hard flat surfaces warping my ponies, and it keeps them in the dark if they become uncovered for some reason and I don't notice. So I put the silica packets around the bottom of the tub, line with fabric, then wrap ponies loosely in tissue paper and put them in standing up. The under-bed tubs are great, because they fit the ponies standing, so no-one gets messed up. then I stack the tubs for storage in a closet, and cover them with a thick blanket, because the wardrobe has angled slats on the doors, and light gets in. Brisbane is much more humid than my hometown, so I've noticed different issues than when they were stored out there. The humidity seems to produce more regrind/plasticizer leak issues, whereas the dry air with higher temperatures seemed to be more age-spot prevalent. Age spots are less frequent, and some have faded almost completely since the move 7 years ago to a more humid, but cooler climate. I do *try* to keep the ponies as dry and cool as possible, but we're in Australia, so it's not really possible without a dedicated climate control system. My stored ponies are stored in a room that is shut off when the air conditioning is on, so it does get hot unfortunately at times. Prior to the move though, they'd never been in air conditioning, and that was even hotter, so their situation is much better now! I personally haven't had many issues at all in the last few years, other than recent additions. Ponies I've been storing myself for years seem to be doing okay!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 05:00:41 AM »
Personally I like to place all my ponies in sealed plastic baggies and then placed them all in a plastic bin. I also wrapped a bit of plan white gifting paper around their necks and tails to avoid staining from their hair on their own bodies. Now the results of this I don't know because they are still in storage orz

I also bought an indoor storage unit (do they have these in Australia?) which is a great choice if you have the option because it's climate controlled to be cool and dry

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 05:04:42 AM »
I always heard if you use plastic baggies to store plastic things you should leave them slightly open so the stuff inside can breathe.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 06:33:10 AM »
yes definitely, sealed plastic baggies can lead to plasticizer leaking in particular. For my sales ponies, they go in open zip locks in storage, easy to prep for shipping, but still able to be stored for long periods if necessary.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 06:48:11 AM »
Don't pack them if they have damp hair or moisture in body from bathing- they will breed mold.

Don't stack them/pack them too tightly- their plastic horns and appendages will warp.

Do give so softs extra room, so as to not crush their flocking.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 06:49:00 AM »
Watching thread to see what awesome ideas everyone has. I have a friend with in Ontario Canada  (cool damp climate) that will need to pack and store their collection long term soon, so any ideas/advice would be helpful.

For MOC we were thinking of wrapping in tissue paper then putting in a large plastic zip bag with a silica packet and packing sealed bags loosely in a Rubbermaid bin. Our concern with that is potentially warping the cards or denting the bubble.

Love the comment about the under bed bins so ponies can be only one layer high, that might help MOCS avoid warping too.

I have not tried it, but someone suggested buying floral silica in bulk and empty tea bags and making your own silica packs for cheaper.

Question, what are opinions on storing accessories with ponies or separate? Playsets or other merchandise?

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 07:04:33 AM »
I always heard if you use plastic baggies to store plastic things you should leave them slightly open so the stuff inside can breathe.

I can attest to this.  I left mine in sealed ziplock bags when I moved, and they stayed like that for a few years until I had display room again. Problems like plasticizer leak and cancer went way up.  Since I've taken them out, there has never been such a sudden condition change in my ponies.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 07:08:14 AM »
I've been using little bubble wrap bags in plastic totes for mine. The close by folding over with a sticky strip but don't completely seal. It hasn't been a super long time yet but so far no issues. Everyone I've taken out of bags has been okay. Then I have the totes stacked in the closet.

I do like the blanket idea, gonna have to give that a try.

That said though it's humid here (although probably not near as humid as it is there) but it's not that bad in my apartment and I have the AC running all summer and almost never turn on the heat in winter. I like it cold.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 07:43:17 AM »
Single absolute BEST investment you can buy to PROTECT your pony collection (stored or displayed):

a dehumidifier

Spend ~$200 for a good one- you won't regret it! Why would you spend $1,000s (and thousands...) of moolah on ponies and accessories, and then cheap out on this?!? (I speak from experience- I only JUST invested in a proper room dehumidifier last week, and it's transformed the environment in my lower level. Why did I wait so long?! Sorry ponies!)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:52:54 AM by ponyqueen »

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 09:04:54 AM »
For MOC we were thinking of wrapping in tissue paper then putting in a large plastic zip bag with a silica packet and packing sealed bags loosely in a Rubbermaid bin. Our concern with that is potentially warping the cards or denting the bubble.

Love the comment about the under bed bins so ponies can be only one layer high, that might help MOCS avoid warping too.

You could put layers of thick white posterboard between the MOC layers and gently stuff the surrounding, around the bubble, with acid/dye free tissue paper to help keep the layers properly stacked?

I'm not sure what tissue paper is best for pony storage but that's what I used to ship some expensive dolls so its my best guess.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 01:56:09 PM »
The biggest advice I have is don't store them in a hot place, like an attic.

I have always used sealed plastic baggies (ziplock style) and I've never had any problems with plasticizer leaking or cancer.  There was actually a higher rate of cancer in the ponies stored in Tupperware style containers (no baggies, standing upright).   Just to be clear, I don't think the Tupperware CAUSED the cancer--the cancer was on ponies who had cancer before being stored, and they would just develop more cancer spots over time.

Possibly there is another factor involved with plasticizer leaking, like humidity or heat?  The only plasticizer leaking ponies I've ever had were Kimono and Gingerbread, and Gingerbread was a hot mess before she was ever stored.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »
I know, this must be the millionth thread of it's kind, so if linking to other topics is more appropriate I understand.

I'm seeking advice on the absolute 'Dos and Don'ts' of putting ponies in storage.
With particular focus on long term storage in the hot/humid Australian climate. I'm possibly going to be moving somewhere I can't take my collection for years on end, so they'll have to stay in the family home until I settle down somewhere permanent.

My collection consists of: loose & MOC/MIB of all 4 generations, plus customs (sculpted and painted)... As well as fakies, MIB Sweetie Pups and Monster High dolls.

I'm thinking plastic tubs but I need details... Any advice is greatly appreciate!
- Do I wrap ponies in acid free tissue paper?
- Should they be loosely packed to avoid warping plastic?
- Would chucking some silica packets in be a good idea to soak up moisture?
- Can MIB ponies stain other boxes?
- What's the best way of storing MOC?
- Will being in the dark damage them at all?
- Should I expect to find more age spots and such each time I check them?

Gah, I feel so ignorant, please help me  :blush:

Yes to the first three. Staining only if damp but separate them anyway. Not in plastic bags. Air flow is good, dark is good. Avoid extremes of temperature like in a loft space or shed.  Age spots depend on a lot of factors. The above should help to minimize plastic breakdown. Hope this helps.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
Lots of stuff is covered. So I'll tackle climate. :)

Climate- MUST MUST MUST. consistently cool and dry. MUST.
RH: < 55% ideal.
The highest temp maintained- 68°F/20°C

Heat alone, and  heat with humidity will ravage a collection- they'll (the PVC) will off-gass acidic vapours and ooze out plasticizers and ruin a collection. seal them up tight too, and it's the perfect storm of destruction. and those highly damaging vapours will remain in the bags and it'll be a nightmare.(various spots and stains appearing quickly, oozing slimy bodies- essentially a way to bait your ponies in short order)

When my collection was stored off site, I was there roughly annually to keep tabs, switch out wrappings. my brother "babysat" them (he lived there) by emptying the dehumidifier and checking to ensure climate was maintained.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:50:23 AM by FantasticFirefly »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal