collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can a Pony's Personality Affect Whether You Buy Them?  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Can a Pony's Personality Affect Whether You Buy Them?
« on: August 09, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »
Since alot of us have grown up with some Toy-toon franchise or another, can a character's personality decide whether you want to buy them or not?

For example, I never liked Truly. She's shallow, melodramatic, selfish and rude, her color scheme is personally not my cup of tea. I love her name, symbol and pose, but I would never get her.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:39:31 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Can a Pony's Personality Affect Whether You Buy Them?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 10:34:49 PM »
Totally. I feel this way about Trixie. :huh: I love her color scheme, since it consists of mostly blue, and blue is my all-time favorite color. But...I just can't stand her in the show so much that I really don't want to buy any merch of her because of it. I sort of feel this way about Rainbow Dash sometimes as well. But with her, I did like her in season 1. So I try to remember her from then and not now. If that makes sense. :lol:

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 10:39:51 PM »
I never really gave this much thought but it's probably why I never cared about acquiring Wind Whistler or Whizzer. I always saw Wind Whistler as being too robotic. With Whizzer someone really needs to quit putting caffeine in that girl's watering trough.

I think the same is true for Gusty. Her personality discouraged me from buying her toy version. Although to be fair, if I were Bart Simpson and someone turned me into a female unicorn, permanently painted a bunch of leaves by my butt and sentenced me to live in a girly land where everyone randomly breaks into song I'd hate the world too. (Yes I know MLP came before The Simpsons  :P)

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 10:47:18 PM »
I would say no for me. If I like a character on the show, I'd be more inclined to want them, but toys don't have personalities to me. If they look cute on a shelf that is all that matters, nasty personality or not.

Offline nemubones

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • With every mistake We must surely be learning -GH
    • View Profile
Re: Can a Pony\'s Personality Affect Whether You Buy Them?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 10:57:39 PM »
I never really gave this much thought but it's probably why I never cared about acquiring Wind Whistler or Whizzer. I always saw Wind Whistler as being too robotic. With Whizzer someone really needs to quit putting caffeine in that girl's watering trough.

I think the same is true for Gusty. Her personality discouraged me from buying her toy version. Although to be fair, if I were Bart Simpson and someone turned me into a female unicorn, permanently painted a bunch of leaves by my butt and sentenced me to live in a girly land where everyone randomly breaks into song I'd hate the world too. (Yes I know MLP came before The Simpsons  :P)

Lol, I thought the same about Gusty. Her pony is actual very pretty but her TV persona was so rude sometimes. :P

Post Merge: August 09, 2016, 10:58:23 PM

Lol, I thought the same about Gusty. Her pony is actual very pretty but her TV persona was so rude sometimes. Its no wonder I never asked for her growing up. :P

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 11:34:02 PM »
I don't really consider personalities from the show, though I do tend to project a certain degree of individual personalities onto ponies when I already have them (for example, Moondancer is a friendly witch, Desert Palm is really laid-back, Cloud Climber is really energetic and social and so on.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 11:48:17 PM »
No, it doesn't have much effect for me.  :)   I found Magic Star one of the most annoying ponies, but her toy is one of my favorites.  And I had Baby Lickety-Split as a kid even though I hated her movie / show portrayal.

I don't have much emotional connection between the show(s) and the toys.  The shows are the shows, the toys are the toys--two separate things.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 11:54:23 PM »
It's worked positively for me in the past.  :)

For example, I'd be bored with Twilight Sparkle.  She's not my favorite color scheme and I really don't collect g4s.  But she's my favorite character on FiM, so I felt the need to own her.  She reminds me of Wind Whistler (though I know she's based off of G1 Twilight.)

Fizzy's another one.  I'm not fond of Twinkle Eye ponies but she'd just so adorable on the TV show.  Plus, in my head canon, she's best friends with Wind Whistler.  So, I had to have her.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 05:40:39 AM »
Definitely! When I still watched FiM and collected G4, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were my favorites so I liked having them. But I also hated Trixie as a character so I wasn't really interested in any of her versions. I still don't really have any interest in Trixie stuff now.

I've never watched G3/3.5 stuff so that's never had any impact on my collecting. And for G1, if I like a pony in a movie/show/story I'll be more inclined to seek them out but I don't think I'd cross out anyone I didn't like. I love G1s too much to start disqualifying any, haha.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 06:22:53 AM »
As someone who grew up with the show and found the ponies later, I have to say yes.  I got Wind Whistler, Fizzy, Galaxy, and Paradise because they were favorites from the show.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 06:34:22 AM »
I watched the show when I was teeny. I remember LOVING Wind Whistler. She's in my memory as the anxious data pony, which I related to as a little. I made sure I bought the SS in beautiful shape when I was newer to the internet. one of my early loose purchases.

I don't really remember the other ponies show persona's very well. I mostly remember RaMC. I watched it so many times (my dad would be happy when it was already rented out at the video store I went to each weekend so then I would pick my 2nd choice. boring kid. only two movies.) so I got all those when I was new.

Mostly though. I am a Toy collector. So other then that one, and all the ponies I wanted from that special as a child. I usually target anything I like under the radar as a collector. if everyone wants Dream Beauties and the price shoots up, I collect something else until them being the "it" ponies dies down.

Oh, I did give my neighbor a blind bag Fluttershy. My buddy made me watch some FiM at her house. that pony totally reminded me of my neighbor.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 06:40:08 AM »

It did?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 07:11:07 AM »
Not really.  When I was little I wanted all the ponies on the show so I could re-enact episodes, and I got most of my ponies as gifts so I didn't get to choose them anyway. 

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 07:16:47 AM »
Not at all. I actually like having a diverse cast of characters. Although sometimes knowing the personality of a pony will make me want them even more, or affect the manner in which I choose to display them.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 07:50:03 AM »
I might be more inclined to get a toy if it's a character I like, if I like the look of the toy. I wouldn't avoid a character I'm not fond of.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal