collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to keep factory curl?  (Read 715 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
How to keep factory curl?
« on: August 04, 2016, 11:10:34 PM »
Its time for a massive deep cleaning of my herd and I have quite a few ponies with atrocious hair. I got them too early into my collecting days to know what to do for them (or to be comfortable trying after some very bad advice). Most of it is pretty straight forward but I have a couple ponies with horrific hair hiding lovely factory curls. I don't want to lose them but I'm not sure how to go about keep them and still getting the hair under control.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep factory curl?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 11:36:32 PM »
MLP Reservation Project has a section about curls, maybe that will help. :)

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/hair.html#Curls

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:51:42 PM »
If you do wash them, use cold water, support their hair with your hands, and pay attention to the direction the plastic fibers "want" to go!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 02:04:43 AM »
I'm gonna reply so I can keep track of this post - a pal of mine (who restores/collects vintage Barbie) suggested I try a 'boil curl' before I wash them, so the hair would naturally spring back into the original curl after combing. I just don't want to ruin Salty's beautiful waves, even though he's a mess! TnT
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 03:00:22 AM »
Thanks for the tips, guys! Its scary to think about going at those curls with a comb, haha.

That idea actually makes a lot of sense, Snapdragon. I can't do full boils but I'll give it a shot with water as hot as it gets from the tap (which is pretty impressively hot) on one of my girls with less impressive curls. Its definitely worth a try but I don't want to risk Sugarberry's lovely locks before some tests.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 04:41:51 AM »
I think for barrel curls/ringlets, it may be a better idea to finger-comb them? I'm not sure honestly, I have some fuzzy barrel-curl tails that NEED to be rebrushed, but while I hate messy original curl, I don't want to destroy it to make it look "neater"... O_O
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 04:58:28 AM »
Sadly I think they're all past finger combing, though that's probably the best option. Their hair isn't too tangled or anything like that, but its so rough and icky feeling. Conditioning without combing might help a few.

Edit: Moving this to a new thread since no one noticed it and I'm super curious
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:22:32 PM by Taxel »

Offline telelle_wings

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • G1 Unicorn Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 08:11:52 AM »
You need to saturate them with a boatload of water & conditioner to give the hair slip. Don't rinse at this point. I'd then finger detangle and when that looks reasonable then I'd use a comb. When you feel like you've gotten all the tangles out immediately reform the curls. I still wouldn't rinse yet. Do it in small sections. Once all of the hair is detangled and you've gotten the curls to reform I'd then support the hair in your palm and rinse the hair through your fingers so that the curls don't unform. Then just squeeze the water out with that hand, do not towl dry. And like a previous post said - cold water.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:16:49 AM by telelle_wings »

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 08:36:30 AM »
Cold water only!!! Boiling will help set new curls, but may wreak orginal curls. I use a fine misting spray bottle to dampen the hair and very very carefully comb from the tips up a little at a time and try to hold the natural curl while combing over a finger, never pull straight! It's a lot of work honestly but the results are wonderful. Orginal curls have a factory finish of some kind that washing will remove, if you only use a small amount of water you can sometimes preserve that finish and it will help hold the curls too. As long as the hair is still wet make sure it's well supported while it dries, frequently it's best to dry the pony flat on a towel until the hair is dry enough to hold its own.

Offline telelle_wings

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • G1 Unicorn Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 08:50:48 AM »
very very carefully comb from the tips up a little at a time and try to hold the natural curl while combing over a finger, never pull straight!

Very important technique. Do not start from the base of the hair. Start from the tips (the end) and work slowly back towards the base. If you start from the base the tangles will just get worse and can result in strands being pulled completely out and or damaging the strands themselves.

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 07:56:40 PM »
Following ..great tips!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 08:52:38 AM »
I tend to find that you can "untangle" single strands of hair with a sewing pin or the like.... and gently put them back in place with it, too!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 09:22:17 AM »
Cold water only!!! Boiling will help set new curls, but may wreak orginal curls. I use a fine misting spray bottle to dampen the hair and very very carefully comb from the tips up a little at a time and try to hold the natural curl while combing over a finger, never pull straight! It's a lot of work honestly but the results are wonderful. Orginal curls have a factory finish of some kind that washing will remove, if you only use a small amount of water you can sometimes preserve that finish and it will help hold the curls too. As long as the hair is still wet make sure it's well supported while it dries, frequently it's best to dry the pony flat on a towel until the hair is dry enough to hold its own.

THIS. everything that was said about using cold water, and supporting the curls so they don't fall or loosen. I blot at excess water (especially at the tail base. you want as little water as possibly wicking inside a pony) and I also lay a pony flat to dry, arranging curls so when she is dry and stands again, they are perky! and not drooped in any way.

I cut a touch of conditioner in my mister of water and mist the ends if the hair is dirty or really matted. Pristine hair with some flyaway bits I use water only mist.

*for more tangles* scrunch in a little water/conditioner mist and gently comb. I only use metal tooth combs (wig shops!) as plastic teeth DAMAGE (shred at fibers causing frizz). I rinse after. blot dry gently. ALL cold process all SLOW and gentle. It takes the longest but to me it's worth it keeping hasbro hair.

Practice on stuff not for your collection. and then work on special ponies once you've gotten the hang of it. :)

All of these were washed by me: ***SS ponies. I do not wash or wet flocking, just hair. this is why they look "plush"***
The ones with very little curl (german swirly whirly, had a very tangled tail with not much curl left. worked with what was there)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:39:13 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »

THIS. everything that was said about using cold water, and supporting the curls so they don't fall or loosen. I blot at excess water (especially at the tail base. you want as little water as possibly wicking inside a pony) and I also lay a pony flat to dry, arranging curls so when she is dry and stands again, they are perky! and not drooped in any way.

I cut a touch of conditioner in my mister of water and mist the ends if the hair is dirty or really matted. Pristine hair with some flyaway bits I use water only mist.

*for more tangles* scrunch in a little water/conditioner mist and gently comb. I only use metal tooth combs (wig shops!) as plastic teeth DAMAGE (shred at fibers causing frizz). I rinse after. blot dry gently. ALL cold process all SLOW and gentle. It takes the longest but to me it's worth it keeping hasbro hair.

Practice on stuff not for your collection. and then work on special ponies once you've gotten the hang of it. :)

All of these were washed by me: ***SS ponies. I do not wash or wet flocking, just hair. this is why they look "plush"***
The ones with very little curl (german swirly whirly, had a very tangled tail with not much curl left. worked with what was there)

I second all of this!  I always work to keep/restore original curl.  It takes a little more time and effort, but is so worth it in the end. 

P.S.  Just to re-iterate what others have said...ONLY cold water.  Warm or hot water can be used to set NEW curls, but FACTORY curl is best kept using cold water.  Good luck! :)
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 06:23:07 AM »

All of this! And such a critical point about the comb choice (the wide tooth ones you get from pet shops also work) but using a metal comb and ensuring the hair is wet with enough slip is so important.

Its amazing what simple water, wash in/wash out materials can do - much better than anything else.

I add a little bit of baby oil along with the shampoo sometimes as it makes the hair even more likely to detangle :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal