collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lawsuit Against Hasbro because of Water Cuties  (Read 4455 times)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Lawsuit Against Hasbro because of Water Cuties
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 06:49:14 PM »
It also depends on her contract.  Like, was there a clause in there saying all her ideas belonged to Hasbro while she was working for them? 

When I was working at Disney World, they had us sign a contract that stated any ideas we came up with during our employment were property of the Disney Company.  So if I had submitted an idea or design for a toy or a ride, Disney could have used it without any compensation.  It wouldn't surprise me if Hasbro has a similar clause. 

I remember having to sign something similar for one of my (retail) jobs.  Which I thought was kind of silly - still do, actually.  How do they prove you thought of something during their time or your's?

As for *this* case....  Yeah, I don't think we have enough info to decide if she has a viable lawsuit.  I wouldn't put it past Hasbro to "borrow" her concept/idea or even how to make it work.  And it's pretty slimy if they did so.  But if they made it *just* different enough, then she probably won't have a strong enough case to prove it was her's first and her's alone.     
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 07:38:55 PM »
You can read the original suit from April of last year on Scribd here. The new one seems to drop the copyright infringement claim and add violation of the Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016.

I don't really understand what's considered a trade secret in this case, but it does seem shady that Hasbro would invite a designer's pitch, pass on it for one toy line, then produce something very similar in another toy line. Hasbro claims that they were already in the process of developing the snowglobe ponies before they received Ms Shapiro's submission --- and they appear to have produced corroborating evidence of that at the preliminary injunction hearing(s) -- but it definitely looks suspicious on the surface of things, and I don't blame Ms Shapiro for feeling robbed.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 07:06:57 AM »
You can read the original suit from April of last year on Scribd here. The new one seems to drop the copyright infringement claim and add violation of the Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016.

I don't really understand what's considered a trade secret in this case, but it does seem shady that Hasbro would invite a designer's pitch, pass on it for one toy line, then produce something very similar in another toy line. Hasbro claims that they were already in the process of developing the snowglobe ponies before they received Ms Shapiro's submission --- and they appear to have produced corroborating evidence of that at the preliminary injunction hearing(s) -- but it definitely looks suspicious on the surface of things, and I don't blame Ms Shapiro for feeling robbed.

If Hasbro had been working on the snowglobe ponies before hearing her pitch, I can see why they would have rejected her submission.  But the only people who would know for sure are the Hasbro employees that were in charge of that project.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 07:38:06 AM »
But if they were already working on snowglobe ponies, why specifically ask her to do a presentation on snowglobe toys?  It does sound fishy.

They might have already had the idea in progress but wanted to glean some of her technical experience, especially since with snowglobe toys you would have to make absolutely sure they couldn't leak while on store shelves or in transit to stores.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 08:50:51 AM »
Did they ask her specifically for snowglobe style toys or just ideas in general?  If it was just ideas in general then there's no guarantee that someone else hadn't already submitted the idea and maybe the "wishables" were just included as part of her pitch.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 08:59:08 AM »
But if they were already working on snowglobe ponies, why specifically ask her to do a presentation on snowglobe toys?  It does sound fishy.

They might have already had the idea in progress but wanted to glean some of her technical experience, especially since with snowglobe toys you would have to make absolutely sure they couldn't leak while on store shelves or in transit to stores.

This was my thought as well. The "totally made first" pony sets could have been a cover to help them "save money" by cheating the designer out of her money. It wouldn't surprise me.

Do toy inventors still approach companies with pitches they came up with on their own? If it was that kind of situation it would be a different story.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 12:26:33 PM »
The saddest thing about all of this is that we could have had water globe LPS.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline BerylBreeze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 12:34:38 AM »
What makes this case specifically different from older snowglobe-type toys like Krystal Princess or Novi Stars, just how it's sealed?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 08:56:17 AM »
What makes this case specifically different from older snowglobe-type toys like Krystal Princess or Novi Stars, just how it's sealed?

Probably nothing.  This lady probably received legal advice that there was something fishy about the process and procedure of how Hasbro did what they did to her, and she's hoping to get them on a technicality.  Maybe they DID send her a communication on a particular date that proves something else was going on at a certain point in the process.  Clearly her lawyer feels there is a chance to present the case, though; usually these types of consulting relationships with toy designers are very cut and dry and the contracts have been the same since 1912.  ;-p  As above posters have mentioned.... 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 04:05:02 PM »
Very interesting...but considering the $$ value probably something that happens more than we ever hear.

Although I cant help but feel...I have seen snowglobe toys in the past (I loved the G4 releases but dont remember thinking of them as particularly unique in concept).

Guess I just ... hope she wins if she is in the right ... hope Hasbro win if they are :P And with no more knowledge I cant comment further.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal