collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Prototype furbob toys? Edit: And Flutter Pony Hideaway??  (Read 9489 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Prototype furbob toys? Edit: And Flutter Pony Hideaway??
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 12:04:43 PM »
WOW! I've been a G1 collector since the 80's (well, kid-lover-of-ponies and now adult collector XD ) and I had no idea any of that existed! That is so cool! Thanks for sharing the pics!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »
And just when you think you know everything about G1... Some cool surprise shows up again. Always. XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »
Just amazing!  What a gorgeous set, and what truly breath-taking artwork from a very talented artist!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 05:24:11 PM »
Aw!  I so want furbobs and a flutter pony hideaway!  So cute!  I wish they'd gone into actual production.  I wonder why they didn't.   :what:
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 05:50:15 PM »
Something about "how many is too many play sets?"
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 07:57:38 PM »
Huh, the flutter pony hideaway resembles those flutter valley little tree houses they had in MLP the movie; which kinda makes sense, if you think about it.

But Okay, I HAVE to use the flutterpony hideaway in my mlp stories now!

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline sparkykandy

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 11:27:43 AM »
It's really cool to see the concept art and prototypes of what could have been.  I am mildly intrigued by the yarn ponies though.  Would they have been made out of actual yarn?  It kind of looks like it based off the description, but I can't tell if they would have been patterns/kits, so people could make their own yarn ponies. 
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »
I'm very interested in what looks like a beach themed gift pack, and the 2 sets of ponies with blazes and other spots. I wonder what those would have been like, and why they weren't made?
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »
It's really cool to see the concept art and prototypes of what could have been.  I am mildly intrigued by the yarn ponies though.  Would they have been made out of actual yarn?  It kind of looks like it based off the description, but I can't tell if they would have been patterns/kits, so people could make their own yarn ponies.

The manes and tails would have been actual yarn, but the bodies would have been just sculpted to look like it. :)

I'm very interested in what looks like a beach themed gift pack, and the 2 sets of ponies with blazes and other spots. I wonder what those would have been like, and why they weren't made?

The gift pack was picnic themed. :) There was a picnic table with an umbrella, a blanket, a picnic basket, and various little picnic-y bits and bobs. Like the birthday party and slumber party packs before it, it would've had an assortment of five ponies in the current styles for the year. It looked to me like the concept showed a TAF pony, a big brother pony, peek-a-boo baby twins(?), and a newborn. (Ruth could neither confirm or deny at the time; it had been decades, after all! ^^;)

The five ponies with the colorful markings were called something like quilt ponies or patchwork ponies or something to do with sewing. I'm afraid I can't quite remember what. :( Their concept drawings were in the gallery space, but weren't available for photographs. Their blazes and stockings were all painted in cute little fabric patterns. (The fabric prints reminded me of the Fancy Pants babies'... um, pants.) It was neat to see more "horsey" markings on ponies again! :biggrin:

As to why they didn't make it into production... Ruth said that there was an economic downturn in 1987 that caused Hasbro to cut back on its planned offerings. People didn't have as much money to spend on frivolous things, so Hasbro didn't want to put out a lot of big-ticket items like play sets and party packs. :( And the patches ponies could've just been an idea that didn't pan out for one reason or another... Maybe they were too expensive to produce or didn't test well. Maybe management just didn't think they were a good fit for the line. (I like to think that they could've been an inspiration for the Fancy Pants babies though. ^.^ The Fancy Patch Mommies?)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:13:15 PM by BlushingBlue »

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 05:21:51 PM »

Maybe they'ed look like lala loopsy?

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 05:35:14 AM »
This all looks like such a treasure trove! I hope someday all of these photos, concepts and information can be released to the general public, like in a book or something.

The furbobs would have been cool to see released. I love seeing elements of the cartoon incorporated in the toyline. Unless they were originally created with the intention of releasing toys of them, but if they were intended to go with the second set of princess ponies, that would have been two years after their episode originally aired. And by then all of the characters from the TV show would be gone from the shelves. Then again, at that point there might have been plans to continue the tv series, and we would have gotten an episode with the second set princesses along with the furbobs.

Offline ruthbush

• Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 04:14:43 PM »
after reading all these comments about the flutter pony hideaway and the furbobs, I just want to say thanks for appreciating the effort that went into these, even if they werent produced....It was a most fun time for me and its nice to know there are pony fans out there...

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 04:18:05 PM »
after reading all these comments about the flutter pony hideaway and the furbobs, I just want to say thanks for appreciating the effort that went into these, even if they werent produced....It was a most fun time for me and its nice to know there are pony fans out there...

Hi Ruth Bush! Welcome to the Arena! :hug:

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 04:28:50 PM »
THIS THREAD IS SO AWESOME!  Ahem, I had no idea any of this existed!  I want that playset!!!  The presentation must have been amazing!!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 04:32:29 PM »

Wow! Hi Ruth Bush! Those designs were great! Welcome to the Arena. :thumb:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:36:24 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal