collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your favorite anime recommendations  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Your favorite anime recommendations
« on: July 01, 2016, 12:13:39 AM »
Hi all! I always looking for new amines to watch and thought I'd start a thread for your recommendations! I'd love to know what you recommend for the following!

Magical girl:

Long running series:

Dark/horror:

Slice of life:

Comedy:

Romance:

Spin off series:

Short series/movie/ova:

Just plain weird:

Here are mine!

Magical girl: sailor moon (and sailor moon crystal), card captor Sakura, madoka magica, pretty cute yes 5.

Long running: ranma 1/2

Dark/horror: pet shop of horrors, vampire princess Miyu, mermaid scar

Slice of life: himouto umaru Chan

Comedy: azumanga diaoh

Romance: marmalade boy

Spin off series: magical project s

Short series/movie/ova: coicent, devil hunter yohko, wakakozake, studio ghibli

Just plain weird: squid girl, humanity has declined.

Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

BryteStar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Your favorite anime recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 12:45:30 AM »
I'm not super well versed with anime because I'm picky so I can't fill out that whole list but some my favorites are:

Cowboy Bebop (it's a classic!)
Tenchi Muyo! (And its spinoff Galaxy Police, which is like a silly Cowboy Bebop)
Trigun
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Sailor Moon
Gundam Wing
Zoids ... is Zoids an anime? That was like my favorite thing when I was little but I'm not sure it was actually anime.

....I also didn't realize I had a type, but I guess I only really watch action animes!  :lol:

EDIT: Oh and Paranoia Agent for dark/horror! Its really surreal and creepy!

Princess Lala

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 02:06:40 AM »
I have seen many an anime  :P

Magical girl:
Princess Tutu. You can't be a real magical girl if you don't like it. You also dont have a heart if you dont like it. Hands-down a beautiful not well known majokko anime. BEST story ever omg I was crying at the end. I also recommend Tokyo MewMew- not that mewmew power English dub garbage.

Long running series:
Fairytale or FMA-FMA brotherhood.

Dark/horror: Elfen Lied, Tokyo Ghoul (not that scary), Blood C, or Parasyte (funny mixed horror)

Slice of life: Nichijou or Himouto Umaru-chan

Comedy: Prison School, Golden Boy (teens and up only), Senyu. , High School Days, Shin-Chan (husbands favorite anime), Shimonita (omg so funny). The Devil is a Part-Timer is also hilarious omg LOL.

Romance: Chobits was cute, Kimi No Todoke, Gurren Lagann, my personal favorite romance is Kirara Princess (manga). Everything else I recommend for this genre is nsfw LOL.

Spin off series: ???

Short series/movie/ova:
I Dont know what my husband is saying or Gurren Lagann/Wolf Children/ Samurai X and the other Kenshin OVAS

Just plain weird: FLCL is kind of weird, Gintama, NaruTaru (teen and up only...omg first episode was too much for me, so messed up. I CANT believe Toonami once wanted to on put this on CN.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:30:18 PM by Princess Lala »

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 02:16:32 AM »
Slice of Life/Romance/Comedy: Lovely Complex, Maria+Holic, Little Busters, Chobits

Just Plain Weird/Comedy: Magical Pokaan (not that weird, but hilarious regardless)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 04:31:53 AM »
Hamtaro. Always Hamtaro. :silly:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Sweet Stuff

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Lil Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 04:51:34 AM »
I can't fill out the whole list so I'll just pick some :D I don't watch anime as often as I used to...

Magical girl: Tokyo Mew Mew.

Dark/horror: Tokyo Ghoul and Shingeki no Kyojin.

Slice of life: Kimi to Boku. It's like one of my all-time favourites. I love it. Also My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU.

Comedy: Ouran High School Host Club, Makai Ouji, Cuticle Tantei Inaba, Fruits Basket (another favourite) and Keroro Gunso.

Romance: Toradora! and Kimi ni Todoke.

Short series/movie/ova: Tsuritama.
Currently looking for: NIP G1 Sweet Stuff.

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 05:49:12 AM »
Whenever I see a thread asking for anime recommendations, I always suggest Tsuritama!  It's my favorite and I've seen it so many times but it is super underappreciated!  I've had trouble getting people to watch it because the premise is kind of weird (it's about fishing and aliens and the power of friendship, more or less) but once they see an episode, they're totally hooked (fishing pun not intended  :P).  It's really cute and fun and the art is gorgeous and I could go on and on.  There's something for everyone in it, comedy, action, heartfelt scenes, exciting moments, etc.  The opening song is also awesome, I think.  I cosplay one of the main characters (Haru, the blond) so I learned the dance that goes with it lol.  I highly recommend it!  I know the chances of one are super duper low, but I always dream of it getting a second season.

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 06:40:34 AM »
There's a really good Mowgli anime that IMO is more faithful to the books than the Disney version.  It also gives the wolves more in depth personalities. :)  It's called "Shonen Mowgli" and you can find the English dub on Youtube.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 07:23:34 AM »
Magical girl: Sailor Moon, La Corda D'oro (not really sure if it counts as magical girl, but a girl gets a magic violin from a fairy.  The music in this series is wonderful.),  Princess Tutu, Madoka Magika, Card Captor Sakura, Magic Knight Rayearth

Long running series:  Sailor Moon, Natsume's Book of Friends, Gundam Wing (is 49 episodes considered long running?  I love this series, yes, it's a mecha, but it's also about 5 child soldiers making a decision about whether or not what/who they're fighting for is the right choice.  I think a lot of people miss that aspect of it.)  Robotech, Yu Yu Hakashu

Dark/horror: Vampire Knight, Bungo Stray Dogs, xxxHolic, Death Note, Blue Exorcist

Slice of life: Peach Girl, Princess Jellyfish, Fruits Basket, Your Lie in April, Kids on the Slope, Silver Spoon, Here is Greenwood

Comedy: Cuticle Detective Inaba, Ouran High School Host Club, Silver Spoon (city boy goes to agricultural school.  In the first episode he learns where eggs come from...enough said.), Kyo Kara Maoh! (kid gets flushed down the toilet, becomes king of the demons.)

Romance: Peach Girl, Fruits Basket, Ouran High School Host Club, Kamisama Kiss, Romeo X Juliet

Spin off series: Tsubasa

Short series/movie/ova: Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (OVA), So Cute it Hurts, The Fantastic Adventures of Unico, Unico and the Island of Magic, Summer Wars (bought this one on a whim before I ever saw it and was not disappointed), The Girl who Leapt Through Time, Whisper of the Heart, Colorful, Wolf Children

Just plain weird: Tsuritama,

Other recommendations (because I'm not sure which subject to put them under): Sword Art Online, Log Horizon (both use the idea of being trapped in a video game and having to live within the rules/boundaries of the game), No.6

Some of these are recommendations from one of the girls I work with (we work at a library) and I may come add more later as I think of them. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:13:54 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Keemax

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 07:39:01 AM »
 :biggrin:

Long running series: Fairy Tail

Dark/horror: Shiki  ^.^ Tokyo Ghoul is awesome too.

Comedy/Slice of life: Ouran Highschool Host Club, The Wallflower (both have romance elements in them, but no-one actually gets together in the anime versions of either, so I'm not listing them under romance...)

Just plain weird/Romance: Sankarea, D-Frag.

I'd also recommend Beyond the Boundary. It's sort of Romance/Action/Fantasy, and I guess you could argue there's a darkish element to it since one of the characters uses her own blood as a weapon.

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 10:48:52 AM »
Whenever I see a thread asking for anime recommendations, I always suggest Tsuritama!  It's my favorite and I've seen it so many times but it is super underappreciated!  I've had trouble getting people to watch it because the premise is kind of weird (it's about fishing and aliens and the power of friendship, more or less) but once they see an episode, they're totally hooked (fishing pun not intended  :P).  It's really cute and fun and the art is gorgeous and I could go on and on.  There's something for everyone in it, comedy, action, heartfelt scenes, exciting moments, etc.  The opening song is also awesome, I think.  I cosplay one of the main characters (Haru, the blond) so I learned the dance that goes with it lol.  I highly recommend it!  I know the chances of one are super duper low, but I always dream of it getting a second season.

Tsuritama is one of my most favorite animes of all times, cannot recommend it enough!
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Flarewing

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 11:33:05 AM »
I'm on mobile and don't really wanna fight with it to make categories. I'll list a bunch of oldies and newer series that I have particularly enjoyed. All of them can be streamed, either via Hulu or Netflix.

Chobits has been mentioned and I heartily agree. Trigun was one I also enjoyed. Spice and Wolf. Angel Beats. Saiyuki. Strike Witches. Soul Eater. Last Exile, highly recommend, especially for ssteampunk fans. Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Black Lagoon is a little dark but fun. One Punch Man. Sword Art Online. Desert Punk. The Devil is a Part-Timer. Rurouni Kenshin. Expelled From Paradise was a good movie. Harlock Space Pirate (the new-ish CG movie) is pretty good. Anything from the .hack franchise.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:34:52 AM by Flarewing »

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 07:21:49 AM »
Magical girl: Not really my type of thing but I kninda wanna see Madoka Something or other

Long running series: Fairy Tale and Dective Conan. I think Conan is pretty close to 900 episodes now.

Dark/horror: Also not really my thing

Slice of life:

Comedy: Rune Soldier, Gintama, Ouran High school Host Club

Romance: Maid Sama, Kamisama Kiss, Fushigi Yugi (even though I wanted to beat the crap out of Miyaka for being dumb)

Spin off series: No idea

Short series/movie/ova
: The cat returns

Just plain weird: I think the english name was Lil Slugger. It was on CN back in the day when Cartoon Network didnt suck
Hetalia is also pretty "special" in its own way
Revolutionary Girl Utena makes no damn sense to me either
Yu Yu Hakashu
  :inlove:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:29:25 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
I'm going to put additional recommendations for Kamisama Kiss and Fushigi Yugi under romance.

Deadman Wonderland is an interesting horror-ish type scenario about a kid sent to death row in prison who ends up with special powers. Death Parade could be considered dark and psychological, considering that its about a man who has dead people compete in potentially life threatening games to weigh the morality of their souls.

The Devil Is A Part Timer is a mostly comedic / satirical look at working in the fast food industry, complete with the premise of 'what if Satan worked at McDonalds?' On the more cute and fluffy comedy side, I'd add to the resounding recommendation for Ouran High School Host Club.

My favorite longer series are One Piece, Inuyasha and Eyeshield 21 (I knew nothing about football when I started watching this. It's all about the amazing characterization.)

And now for a few random extras: Mushi Shi is a really interesting series about a guy who helps people who've had encounters with spirits called mushi--it's artstyle, story telling style and music are all really good. I've only seen a couple episodes, but Yona Of The Dawn looks very promising. (still need to buy the full English dub) Last, I will recommend Initial D: First Stage. Yes it's about racing, but what makes it really special is the way the characters come to life and the way that the artstyle and music come together to actually make the racing really exciting.

Hopefully you'll find something in there to enjoy. :)

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Princess Lala

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 07:20:35 PM »
Okay I just updated mine from browsing my watch history LOL I have got some good ones in there! ^-^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal