collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Making Wings for G4s  (Read 1288 times)

amberthest

• Trade Count: (0)
Making Wings for G4s
« on: June 23, 2016, 11:54:33 AM »
I'm working on a custom g4 and need to make wings. I can't find any tutorials, so I was wondering if anyone here has advice on the type of clay to use and how to attach them to the ponies? (The pony won't be for only display, I'm giving it to a kid, so hopefully not super breakable clay)

Once I get it figured out, I will post a reply here with pictures and instructions :3

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
Re: Making Wings for G4s
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 04:46:44 PM »
I use Apoxie clay for all of my sculpts and will make sure there's enough wire boning to keep the wings from falling off. If the wings aren't too thin or too big and the child is aware that such a special toy is for gentle play then you're good. That being said, my brotherinlaw dropped a fragile sculpt of mine once while roughhousing with hubby. It barely was chipped and only one feather came off.  ^^;  You can drill a couple of tiny holes in the back of the pony and push some hanger wire through. Even if the wings come free from the body they should remain attached to the wire. If you do so twice and make it look like a chicken's wings then it will be even sturdier and less for you to worry over.

Hope that helps!  ^.^
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 05:16:21 AM »
I too recommend Apoxie Sculpt and wire armature. archidraca has good advice, I would follow it. :)

amberthest

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 06:49:21 PM »
Thank you guys! <3

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 08:36:14 PM »
all clay can break if dropped or played with rough
you might consider non-sculpted wings which could include scavenging wings off another toy and attaching them with clay or superglue or something...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 12:20:45 PM »
I made a pair of feather wings for this custom -> http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,332819.0.html

In that case, I used a wire base and mesh, and attached the feathers to that. I could probably find the tutorial for you with some searching...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

lostpony

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 06:21:48 PM »
I'm making Princess Big Mac with some Pinklestia wings. 

Durability will be a real issue for a child's toy, have you thought of using something flexible, materials that some to mind for me just now include rubber kitchenware, like rubber spatula or dish drainer, that sort of thing...maybe glue more of similar material inside the pony for them to anchor to using a flexible cement like Loctite Fabric and Vinyl Repair cement (can find at Home Depot).  Watch out for using anything that can become sharp if anything breaks.  Could use stiffened leather too, maybe from shoes?

Looks like it's too late to comment there so I will put it here:  I love those feather wings, Twizel!  So great using natural materials.

amberthest

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 07:22:45 AM »
Thanks for all the awesome ideas and advice! <3

lostpony

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 10:02:20 PM »
You know...you can make flutterpony wings from plastic bottles, check out these amazing results:

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380423.msg1560174.html#msg1560174

Or use those thin fake credit cards that come in as Internet offers, the Paypal money card etc...make sure you trim such materials nice and round so they can't poke the recipient or, hehe "put your eye out with that thing" oh I love that one.

G4s are pretty thick, such plastics can probably just stick into a slit cut in them, and use some silicone, flexible cement, adhesive caulking or something like that on the inside to hold them in...maybe make both wings from one big piece that goes through, or connects together inside a right angles with interlocking slots...* I would go with that last one personally.  Make sure you rough up any slick plastics you want your adhesive to stick to!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal