collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about customizing playsets  (Read 474 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Question about customizing playsets
« on: June 13, 2016, 07:03:38 AM »
I picked up a spare Dream Castle that is so discolored it's bordering on disgusting, so I want to try customizing it.  What's the best paint for the job?  Since it's hard plastic could I spray paint it?

Offline Alipes

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Custom and Diorama Photo Gallery
Re: Question about customizing playsets
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 09:05:06 AM »
Yep, spray paint would work fantastic in that case!  If you want a solid color, your best choices are Krylon Fusion for Plastic or Rust-Oleum Specialty Plastic, as they're designed to adhere and bond better to plastic items.

If you're feeling a little fancier, you could also use Rust-Oleum Stone Creations spray, which creates a speckled and slightly textured stone effect.  I've been using the Bleached Stone and Pebble colors to customize a Playmobil castle for my ponies, and there is a learning curve to it, but the result looks lovely.  Here's an example:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 10:12:27 AM »
That is 100% what I wanted to hear, thank you!!

OMG, if I can get this DC to look half that good I will be happy!  Your castle is gorgeous!  O.o 

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »
wow Alipes! that looks amazing! thanks for the brands and names
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 12:48:53 AM »
Wowsers!!! I love this idea, maybe I can spray paint the sad Peachy's Parlor I got... it's pretty yellow! :O
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

sunshine29102

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 06:35:31 AM »
Good info! Thank you so much for sharing.  So I'm guessing this would work on the Show Stable too...?

Alipes, that textured spray paint looks amazing! Have you finished that castle oe are you still working on it?

Offline Alipes

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Custom and Diorama Photo Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 08:14:53 AM »
Good info! Thank you so much for sharing.  So I'm guessing this would work on the Show Stable too...?

Alipes, that textured spray paint looks amazing! Have you finished that castle oe are you still working on it?

Yep, this should work the same on any hard plastic pieces on playsets.  If you have softer pieces like accessories, I wouldn't recommend spray paint, just because that's not what it's intended for and the results can be unpredictable.

Thanks so much for the kind words!  The castle spraying is still in progress, largely because I am working on a lot of other customizing for it at the same time, like wallpaper (or like the wood floors I just finished in the library, holy moly... ), and because we had several weeks with ridiculous humidity that meant I had to hold off on any work.  Once I get a bit more rebuilt and completed, I do intend to start up a new thread, but that will be a bit still.  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal