collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to fix EXTREME frizz?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
How to fix EXTREME frizz?
« on: June 12, 2016, 10:54:52 AM »
Hello,

Some ponies come out good when using the curling iron/heating method. But some ponies hair is really, really frizzy at the tips. Especially ponies who's hair is mixed with white. I used the heating iron on ponies like Ringlet and Waverunner. But it still looks horrible at the tips. I just don't know how to fix this.

Ps: This is about G1 ponies.
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
Re: How to fix EXTREME frizz?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:57:39 PM »
Have you tried wit Pantene conditioner? its very good in ponies also a pin comb (for pets)  works well

Sadly the hair can also get too damaged to fix, an easy way to see this is when you grab the hair wit your fingers and squeeze it , if the hair makes a crunching sound it means is very dry and damaged so a simple treatment wit conditioner of hot iron is not easily going to work

When this happens doing a rehair might be a better option

You see this was my Tuneful before, the hair was a mess and it made the  crunching sound, I tried many methods but nothing worked, so I did the rehair on the mane and the tail is a donor one from another pony

Before rehair

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please
register or login

After rehair

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:59:55 PM by Sapphire-Light »

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »
I leave conditioner in for an hour +, leave it in the hair (or wash out and reapply new, and run it through the straightener a couple times really fast (you want the sizzling noise, but you want to drag it through quickly so it doesn't melt) in reaaally small sections. sometimes I have to was and redo the whole procedure. usually works fine for me :) The only hair I haven't been able to save is chartreuse hair like Shady has.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »
Wave Runner is a Sunshine pony, right?  Her white streak is made of different material than "normal" pony hair.  It frizzes SUPER easily and no amount of conditioner will tame it.

You might be able to tame it with a heat method, but be careful.  It might melt at a different temperature than normal pony hair.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline StarlightFrost

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 10:58:03 PM »
Honestly the boiling method has worked wonders for me thus far.
Prime example:
 (excuse the spoon, i didn't want to use tongs or pliers for dunking.)

I stuck this poor baity rosedust in a pot of boiling water and then cold water. Did that a few times, brushing it out, that whole thing. It didn't work for a while. Then when i was pretty much like "welp, guess i should cut my losses and see is she looks good with shorter hair...it started to defrizz!

This was the end result. It took me a WHILE to get there. A good 20-30 minutes of dunking and combing out and repeating. I think it took so long because the hair was so so bad?

I stopped when most of the water had boiled away and I was tired of working on this. So she and a few other crunchy hair ponies I have are eventually going to get dunked again.

The process was
Put hair in boiling water for a bit, 10 seconds at most while moving it a bit.
Dunk in cold water, and while I am not sure if the cold water actually fixes anything, it does take the heat out of the water in the pony's hair. Which is a good thing, because the water beforehand is boiling hot.
Brush out pony's hair straight, a comb is probably best.
Repeat a number of times and hope for the best.

Afterwards conditioning the hair with something that is good for dry and lifeless hair and leaving it in for a while is a good practice. The product i used made another pony's hair who was just sorta dull and dry all silky again. I used it on Rosedust, and it worked well on the fixed parts, otherwise it didn't change the crunchy parts.

Now a question similar to the OP's is:

Anyone got any advice for this Build a Bear RD's hair?

(I found her at a Good Will.)

Her hair is totally wrecked in its current state, I am thinking of boiling it like i did with my rosedust. But does anyone know if that will negatively affect the plush?

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 11:20:27 PM »
Are you using the curling iron on the whole mane/tail at once or separating into smaller sections? I first started out trying to do large sections at once and got nowhere and then found that if I separate into sections maybe 1 cm wide it works a lot better. You'll end up separating the mane/tail into about 10-15 smaller sections which is a pain, but works great. Also, are you wetting the hair first and making multiple passes over it with the curling iron? That helps too. Good luck!

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 12:39:47 AM »
I am new and I've been trying various things to attack various problems mostly on pretty messed up ponies.

For hair I have had pretty good results with a small flatiron and hair conditioner, going in sometimes small bits and sometimes larger bits of hair, holding the pony up and letting the hair hang straight down.  I comb until the hair separates into small groups on its own then iron again....the crackle of water evaporating is very good but I am also sometimes pushing it pretty far into dryness with repeated strokes of the iron on more hopeless subjects.  It seem to help to iron in more than one angle so comb the hair such that it groups perpendicular to the pony neck and iron that as well as parallel to the neck...

My friend assures me that using liquid laundry soap instead of conditioner is more effective and allows the hair to be gotten a lot hotter but I have not tried it yet.

I defrizzed some color change hair that was pretty kinky and stiff and the worst parts were at the ends but, thos ponies already had severe haircuts so I just did what I could then trimmed off the rest and in the future when I learn how might rehair them.

I found that on hair that is tangled so bad that even being very gentle and careful detangling increased the frizz, I was able to detangle more easily and less damagingly by running the iron quicky over the tangled (and already very wet with water and conditoner) hair once or twice then continuing to detangle.

I boiled some ponies for body material problems including some of them for an hour or more (don't let the water run too low) and while the hair looks a total mess afterward it does comb right up nice.  Boiling does have a risk to the ponies and the Fire Chief head I just boiled for two full hours to blanch "age spots" (cancer/pox) worked well but darkened slightly so I have a head/body mismatch problem and that head is on its third day in a peroxide sunfade attempt to rematch it to the body.

As for BaB Rainbow Dash the one I got in thrift had only 1" of hair left so...good luck with that...probably boiling isn't going to kill the plush but will take days to dry it once it gets wet...maybe just dip the hair?  I have a G1 Moondancer plush whose hair is so clumpy and brittle I couldn't even begin to detangle it without losing a lot of hair so it is in a box in storage while I learn how to deal with it...

Good luck!! 

Thoruna

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 01:34:59 AM »
Hello,

I use conditioner, i wash it and then i use a curling iron always on wet hair never on dry hair. And as Shadowlark said, it better works if you use it on very little portion of hair. I discovered this method 2 weeks ago and i was amazed by the result!

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 01:40:00 AM »
I also recommend a hair detangler spray. I keep some on hand for all ponies and pullips.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal