collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony hair and heat?  (Read 607 times)

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
Pony hair and heat?
« on: June 09, 2016, 10:34:01 AM »
Hello,

I saw this video on Youtube a while ago. A woman was using a curling/flattning iron to straighten her pony's frizzy hair. I did the same thing to a couple of my ponies. But eversince I did, I feel like my Ponies hair lost their "soul". It's all flat and no volume in it at all. Nothing, Just straight, super silky hair. It makes them look boring and I regret doing it. Is there a way to fix it?

Also, is using a curling/flattening iron bad for your ponies hair? I have an flattening iron which minimum tempreture is 130 celcius. It can't go lower then that. So that's what I used on some of my ponies.

Anyone has any tips for me?

Thank you.
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Pony hair and heat?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »
Oh, no! What a bummer. Can you post a pic?

I'd give her hair a wash and leave in conditioner for a bit, then when it's dry, brush, brush, brush. If you want to recurl, try the straw curl method. Nexxus Promend works awesome for keeping frizzies down for me. I don't use curling irons or flat irons on my ponies because their nylon hair is prone to melting and I learned the hard way I can't figure out the perfect temp so it's hot enough to style but not melt. If you must use a flat iron, insulate the heat by putting a wash cloth or two layering between the hair and the iron.

Offline Pierlala

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 10:50:39 AM »
I will make some pics.

Post Merge: June 09, 2016, 11:13:58 AM

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I know some of them have trimmed tails and mane, cause I bought them in my earlier stages of collecting. When I didn't really care. I just wanted as many ponies as possible lol.

Post Merge: June 09, 2016, 11:15:00 AM

You see what I mean? The natural "factory" flow is gone from their hair. It's all flat and so super silky that you can't even handle it right. I can't do anything with their hair anymore.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:15:00 AM by Pierlala »

Offline pilarsworld

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 11:34:42 AM »
I think their hair looks gorgeous.x

Offline Pierlala

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 11:41:48 AM »
Thanks hehe, but I don't like it  :lol:

It's too straight and lifeless.

Would the boiling water method work to reshape their hair?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 11:44:29 AM »
I get what you're saying.  I'd hate to lose the natural factory "bounce" too.  Try running a faucet very hot and put the pony under it while "scrunching" her hair with your hand.  I've found that technique can sometimes "revive" completely lost curls as the hair "remembers" its original shape.  Worth a shot. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Pierlala

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »
I get what you're saying.  I'd hate to lose the natural factory "bounce" too.  Try running a faucet very hot and put the pony under it while "scrunching" her hair with your hand.  I've found that technique can sometimes "revive" completely lost curls as the hair "remembers" its original shape.  Worth a shot. :)

Yeah that's exactly what I mean. Thank you very much for the tip. Though...I don't wanna burn my hands! :stressed:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »
Gloves, I wear then when I wash dishes.
Yeah that's exactly what I mean. Thank you very much for the tip. Though...I don't wanna burn my hands! :stressed:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »
I think they just need a bit of style ♥  A brand new out of package pony is going to have much softer hair than one that's been played with, washed and combed over the years.   But the new pony has some curl, so it's going to look better than the stick-straight look of flattened hair. 

For straight hair, try folding up a paper towel in a small square and put it under the mane, up against the roots, like a pad.  Wet the hair a bit.  Take a 1" strip of paper towel and wrap it around the head and mane.  Let it dry. The paper towel pad should help boost the mane at its roots and the wrap should curl the ends under slightly.   For the tail, I would use a large curler with wet hair and let it dry. Maybe hang the pony upside down, so that you get that lift at the tail base when it's dry.  It still might feel a little different, but it'll look more natural.

For curly hair, try using curlers. Wet the hair and let the curlers dry overnight.   I've heard of people steaming the hair, using a hot air dryer, or really hot water to help the curls set too.  Adding curl should help add volume. 

If you really miss that thicker feeling, maybe try playing and styling it like a kid would.  Braid it, comb it, tease it, comb it, wash it, comb it .....   you get the idea ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:45:10 PM by ashlyne »

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 12:58:44 PM »
I think you just need to style the hair after you use the hot iron. For manes, I usually just wrap the hair around the ponies neck and hold it in place with a paper towel and loose elastic overnight. For tails, I usually wrap the tail around a thick marker and secure the end with a paper towel and elastic overnight. For tighter curls I use the straw method.

Here's Little Giggles, the only one I know off the top of my head I defrizzed with a hot iron. But then I styled her hair after as well:

Hope this helps!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »
You can iron in a little curl at the end, too.  I do this with a lot of my nirvanas so their hair doesn't just hang limp when it dries. 

Offline Pierlala

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »
Ringlet and Mommy Apple Delight are enjoying their spa :) Curious what the outcome will be!

Post Merge: June 11, 2016, 12:58:56 PM

Thanks for all the awnsers by the way dear people :)!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:58:56 PM by Pierlala »

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »
looking forward to seeing the results :) I flat iron most of my ponies, then style them. as long as you keep the straws/curlers/hair wrapped around neck in long enough (I usually leave it for ish 24 hours) it should hold up just fine :)

I also flat iron the hair wet and with a bitof conditioner in it, then wash that out and style.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal