collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What were the 80s like?  (Read 11834 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What were the 80s like?
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2016, 09:44:32 AM »
YES.  I had the transforming double-cheeseburger!

Me too!  High five!

I think the TRU sweepstakes was the Ultimate Toy Run, wasn't it?  I knew I'd never win, but I had my route all planned so I could snag all the ponies!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2016, 11:17:55 AM »
I was born in 1984 so my memories of the 80's are very slim.  I remember getting my first MLP I think in 1988 or 1989 when I was around 4 or 5.  Much of what I remember in the 80's is from the 90's when a lot of the stuff carried over into the early part of the 90's.  I had a sideways pony tail, I styled my socks on the outside of my pants and folded them over.  I wore leggings a lot with baggy shirts.  We had a VCR and when I was really little I remember we had a stereo system with a record player.  I had a popple, and a puff-a-lump (not sure if that's spelled right).  I had a talking cabbage patch doll.  We had a rubix cube (again not sure how to spell that).  I used to wear shrunchees all the time.  I also had a Care Bear, it was Cheer Bear.

My brother and I used to watch Nick Jr. back when it had meaning with shows such as Eureeka's Castle and David The Gnome.  The Disney Channel had awesome shows to watch such as Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers and Duck Tales.  Later when I got older it was the 90's Nickelodeon which ruled the world.

Kids actually enjoyed playing outside all day, because they weren't as hooked on TV and electronics to entertain them.  I used to bring my toys outside and play with them too when it was nice out.  I'm trying to think of things that weren't already mentioned.  I agree with the things such as McDonald's was a rare treat and back then the toys were better...McNugget buddies were great for halloween, they had different halloween related costumes and the McDonald's box was a bucket of a ghost, which or pumpkin and you used those for trick or treating.  I know they do the buckets now but they were better I think back then because they were more related to halloween.  I rarely went to Toys R Us and back then it seemed huge and magical.  We used to get our halloween costumes there.

I also loved Pokeyonekenobie's response.  I remember drinking out of the hose.  :P

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2016, 01:36:20 PM »
I remember the McDonald's Halloween buckets too. I still have my Mcpumpkin bucket. I use it to store my Viewmaster and Viewmaster reels. Those must have been big in the 80's too because I have a lot of reels.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2016, 04:30:08 PM »
I remember the McDonald's Halloween buckets too. I still have my Mcpumpkin bucket. I use it to store my Viewmaster and Viewmaster reels. Those must have been big in the 80's too because I have a lot of reels.

Ponyfan

They were big when my Dad was a kid too.  He told me Star Wars never went to VHS after its release in theaters, so that's why back then people saw the same movie several times.  One could only revisit movies through the books and misc. stuff like viewmasters.  My Dad said he had Star Wars viewmaster reels.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:34:21 PM by Majesty »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2016, 12:40:06 AM »
On the whole 'we actually went outside and played!' thing, well... it's not completely true because there's more to it. 

There was no kid's programming on demand.  No youtube, precious few even had the ability to record off live TV, and you usually had to be there to make sure it went off  (That the time/channel the show you wanted was actually there - a lot of things got shuffled around between the printed schedule and broadcast.) 

Electronics were few and far between.  The portable ones were frankly kind of bad.  GameBoys ate batteries like they were going out of style and you could only see the tiny screen if held just right.  Console systems required you to have access to the TV, which was often in use by other people in the household (the whole 'TV in every room of the house' thing wasn't yet a thing unless you were very well off.)  They were also not the ubiquitous possession of today, where it's more 'what system/game should we play' not 'who in the neighbourhood has a video game?'.

So I feel it's not quite fair to pretend like the 80's were all about kids choosing to go outside.  If you played outside, it was probably because staying indoors was less fun.  Personally I was /still/ an indoor kid, and we had no video games and four TV channels that only had kid's programming on weekends.  I played with my ponies, Lego, stuffed animals, arts and crafts, and read lots of books.  Trips to the library were the highlight of the week.   
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2016, 02:22:21 AM »
Need some fitting music for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNAOeU1sqZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meaV9jH2_B4 (ponified video :P )

I was born in 78' so pretty much my entire childhood was the 80's. My family had cable so in addition to the 3 networks for cartoons on Saturdays, we had the Disney Channel also. The list of cartoons I watched is huge. Wildfire (the #1 fav'), Rude Dog and the Dweebs, Muppet Babies, Shirt Tales, Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Show, Pole Position, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Saturday Supercade, Bravestarr, Garfield and Friends, Popples, The Littles, Foofur, Get A Long Gang, The Real Ghostbusters, MLP (of course), Transformers, Go Bots, and a few others.
 When Oliver and Company came out, I wanted to see it, but we never went to theaters, and Disney never released it on VHS or put it on their channel so I didn't get to see it until they finally released it in the 2000's. Other animated movies I liked were both Unicos, The Last Unicorn, Secret of NIMH, Mr. Rossi (2 movies), I Go Pogo, Animalolympics, and The Brave Little Toaster.

As for other TV shows: Fav's included Hey Vern it's Ernest (sat. morning), A-Team, Night Rider, Airwolf, The Fall Guy, BJ and the Bear, Dukes of Hazard, and The Highwayman. Movies included Top Gun, Smokey and the Bandit 2, Cannonball Run, Maximum Overdrive, Iron Eagle (though I didn't find that one until the mid 90's), Six Pack, and Stroker Ace.

For Music: My family was country, so that's pretty much all I listened to back then. REAL country unlike today's junk. Alabama, Sawyer Brown, Highway 101, Restless Heart, Baillie and the Boys, Earl Thomas Conley, Keith Whitley, George Strait, Mel McDaniel, O' Kanes, Steve Earle, Foster and Lloyd, on and on. I did hear some 80's songs in music class in grade school (was only in public for 4 years but that's a different story). The Bangles, Starship, Madonna (was never really a fan of her though), Kenny Loggins. I also liked songs I occasionally heard on TV or radio like Dire Straits Walk of Life, Paula's Opposites Attract (loved the video), and We Didn't Start the Fire (today I like tons of 80's rock and metal a bit of pop. Boy was I missing out on stuff being country only).

We lived (and I still live here with my older brother) right next to our town's fairgrounds, so to watch fireworks on the 4th we just sat at the end of the driveway to watch them, and at fair time just walked over to  it. I never went on any of the big rides. I stuck to the smaller ones like a mini carousel (me being nuts about horses), and a small roller coaster called the Go Gator. I also remember one year they had a little rink for those Roller Wheels things (where you moved the handlebar left and right to move). Always wanted one of those back then but never got one. Amazingly the last couple of years the fair has had the same company come that was around back then (they quit using them in the early 2000's), and they still have some of the same rides including the carousel (no I'm got going to ride it for old times sake :silly: ).
 The fair also had quality entertainment. Often they had a demolition derby, and later on modified midget and outlaw quad races. More importantly was country music talent thanks to our local radio station. In 1987 they got The Girls Next Door (another of my favorite groups). We went to see them, but the concert got cut short by a severe thunderstorm. After we got home we turned on the radio and it was announced the group was signing autographs at our local motel to make up for it. I got my picture taken with them (my mom also took one for another kid). The next year they had kind of a comedy show by Shotgun Red. He was a puppet who hosted the country music video show Country Clips on The Nashville Network (now Spike TV). It was pretty funny. Then in 1989 they got Becky Hobbs, whom I also met (I have a VHS clip of Country Clips where Shotgun interviews her, and he announces she'll be at our county fair).
 To play music my mom had a Zenith console stereo with record and 8 track players. Still have it, though the 8 track squeals through the speakers when you place a tape in it (it's currently a video game system table). The only cassette player we had was a clock radio one and one of those portable "brick" ones. Didn't have any cassettes though. We got records and 8 track tapes (which were still available in the 80's).

As for hanging out with friends: Didn't really do much of that. :blush: Spent most of my time playing with my toys, model trains, or outside. On weekends my dad would often take me on drives out in the country (usually following railroad tracks). At first in a big 4 dr green car (don't remember what it was), then around 1986 he got a 1965 Chevy pickup from his dad. Kind of miss it now.

Speaking of toys: In addition to my G1's, I had many others. First off was large metal tractors, trucks, and construction equipment by Ertl, Nylint, and Tonka. LOTS of them. Unfortunately none survived past the early 90's (I cringe when I see how much some of those tractors go for at auctions now). Also had copious amounts of Hot Wheels and other diecast and plastic cars, most of which I still have in varying conditions. Had tons of Lego sets, and still have most of them (though they're not sets anymore, just a big box full :P ).   
  Battery powered "Stomper" cars and trucks were another thing. I had 2 types: the main ones that bounced through large plastic tracks, and car ones that followed a yellow plastic rope called "Speedsters". If I cringe at what the metal tractors go for now, what the Stompers go for nowadays makes me want to curl into a ball. Only a couple of shells are left of them (I did get one truck one working again recently). As I type this, I'm looking at the cab of a semi that, if it was intact with it's chassis, and tanker trailer, would be worth $800.  :yikes:
 Another of my favorites was my Tyco US-1 trucking slot car set. Tyco made these from around 1981 to 1987 and were like slot cars, but were trucks you could load and unload without touching them. My brother had a set too I later wound up with. The only thing left is a single truck cab. However in 2007 I started buying these off Ebay, and pretty much have everything again and then some. I have them set up on my model train layout at the RR museum here, and kids love them. They need to be brought back (Tyco died in the late 90's though). Here's a video of the set I had that I assembled with what I bought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RHLMPl9CIM
Also had a couple other slot car sets including a Dukes of Hazard one and a Tyco A-Team one, which has cars that can do a U turn (got another set of it at the same time as the US-1 stuff).
 Was also into Transformers, but only had one during my childhood. Instead I had a ton (and still have many, though their rubber tires are missing) of Go Bots, and an even lower tier brand called Mega Moto Bots. Also had the Wheeled Warriors toys.
Others I had 1 or 2 of included The Animal (a car that had claws extend from the tires), Lincoln Logs, Record Breakers (which were super fast cars that ran through channel tracks, and even had competitions at malls. There was a show for them on Saturdays hosted by Jessie Ventura. Only had one and no track, but have the track and several more now), and R/C cars.
 Though not really toys, I had the Radio shack electronics lab sets because I was in to electronics. Still have one.

Malls. We often went to the one in Emporia, KS (Flint Hills Mall) which had Walmart, Montgomery Ward, and JC Penney (got some of my model trains from Wards). I remember going to an arcade there a couple times also. Then there was White Lakes Mall, and later West Ridge Mall in Topeka. Before the latter was built, white Lakes was the place. The edges of the ceilings were mirrored. I remember going to the Kay Bee Toys there. They moved out to West Ridge when it was built in the late 80's, and it wasn't long before WL died. Here's a video of it someone took 4 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uAhyrHmm8I There was talk of revitalizing it. Right now there's one restaurant (I think), and some manufacturing business in it. Some think West Ridge is dying too, but I hope not. They have the only Hot Topic in this part of Kansas.
 Also shopped at the Montgomery Ward up there, which had a separate building downtown. After Wards croaked in the mid 90's, the building became the Topeka Police Dept. headquarters.

Speaking of arcades: That's something I really miss. The Stop 2 Shop in town (now a BP station) had some games including pinball, and later our (soon to be gone) video store had several at one point. Now you're lucky to find a single game somewhere (haven't played pinball in years). another thing the S2S had was a Bear Claw: AKA a claw machine. Me and my mom became masters of them. She would stand on the side of the machine and guide me with the claw or vice versa. Sometimes we'd go home with bags of stuffed toys, even cleaning it out once. Not long after that the company that owned the games took it out, and one of the clerks actually started a petition to get one back, that worked. Still have  bags and totes of those plushies, but the most prized thing I still have is a cup that says "I conquered the crane" on it, which was pretty much our trophy. That was back when claw machines were all electro mechanical. Today's claws are nothing more than slot machines that only pay out after a certain amount of money has been put in. Would like to get one of those older ones.

Video games. We started with a Tandy Color Computer 3 in the mid 80's, which had many games for it. Needless to say a calculator had more memory capacity than it did. We did get a 5" floppy drive addon. Wound up selling it after my mom won a 386 PC in a grocery store contest in 1993. Still have the games though, and a couple of TRS-80's (one was my brother's from when he took an ICS home class on computer programming, which got him nowhere). My mom like a demo derby game we got. In the late 80's she had carpal tunnel problems, and oddly playing the game (joystick was like an Atari with a stick and one button) helped cure it.
 We then got an Atari 7800 and a few games from the new Toys R Us in Topeka in 1987. Dig Dug, Choplifter, and Robotron 2084 were my mom's fav's :P . It wasn't long before it messed up though, so we took it back and got another, which also messed up (looking back: It may have just been dirty contacts), so we took it back and got an NES. And later got several games from Montgomery Ward. The ones my mom liked the most (and she played it into her 60's) was the first Zelda game (gold case too), Super Mario 2, and Bubble Bobble, plus a few others we rented, and later owned.  My fav's were R/C Pro Am, Excitebike, Jackal, and Top Gun.
 We also got a Sega Master System in the late 80's and a few games. Still have them all (except for my R/C Pro Am which I loaned out, and never got back. Got another though).

We didn't get a VCR until 1988. It was a Zenith we got a deal on at Wards because it's manual was missing. It had one of those jump through hoops to set clocks, though I picked up on it pretty fast. Never used the timer function. Recorded a lot of country music videos, performances, and Disney cartoons with it. The first movie we got with it was Lady and the Tramp. Still have the videos and I think the VCR too, but it quit working ages ago.
 that was also the age of TV's that could be repaired. The first I remember us having was a Quazar console one. When it croaked we got a Zenith console from Wards (bought a lot of stuff from them) around 1986 (the box it came in became my indoor clubhouse). On the same night of the Girls Next Door concert lightning zapped it, but we got it repaired. I remember turning it on one morning, and soon there was smoke in the room! I shut everything off and unplugged everything because I didn't know what it was from. It turned out a circuit board in the TV overheated of something. We got it fixed, and that thing lasted until around 2003 before it croaked. It sat in the living room as a stand for the new TV until a few years ago, when I cleared out everything inside, and turned it into a cabinet for tapes and DVD's (kept the channel display which I can turn on with a 9V battery and a switch :P ). Fat chance getting a new TV to last that long.

I really miss those times, and if given the opportunity, would gladly dump the present to go back then. See stuff I missed out on. Guess that's why the Neigh Anything arc of the IDW G4 comic was my favorite, and which is why I made an 80' Shining Armor cosplay (which I'll be wearing again at the 2016 Midwest Brony Fest Friday). I also requested this commission from Andy Price (who did that arc) of 80's Luna at last year's Planet Comicon in Kansas City:

https://twitter.com/AndyPriceArt/status/576559357694849025/photo/1

And of course my Ponies at the Mall and "Quarterhorse" album drawings (have another 80's themed one involving Luna and Celestia in the planning stages):

http://lonewolf3878.deviantart.com/art/At-The-Mall-Color-Version-422339123

http://lonewolf3878.deviantart.com/art/Quarterhorse-Album-Cover-419135391

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2016, 01:13:41 PM »
On the whole 'we actually went outside and played!' thing, well... it's not completely true because there's more to it. 

There was no kid's programming on demand.  No youtube, precious few even had the ability to record off live TV, and you usually had to be there to make sure it went off  (That the time/channel the show you wanted was actually there - a lot of things got shuffled around between the printed schedule and broadcast.) 

Electronics were few and far between.  The portable ones were frankly kind of bad.  GameBoys ate batteries like they were going out of style and you could only see the tiny screen if held just right.  Console systems required you to have access to the TV, which was often in use by other people in the household (the whole 'TV in every room of the house' thing wasn't yet a thing unless you were very well off.)  They were also not the ubiquitous possession of today, where it's more 'what system/game should we play' not 'who in the neighbourhood has a video game?'.

So I feel it's not quite fair to pretend like the 80's were all about kids choosing to go outside.  If you played outside, it was probably because staying indoors was less fun.  Personally I was /still/ an indoor kid, and we had no video games and four TV channels that only had kid's programming on weekends.  I played with my ponies, Lego, stuffed animals, arts and crafts, and read lots of books.  Trips to the library were the highlight of the week.   

Well, it was more fun for me to play outside.  It wasn't for lack of stuff to do inside.  We had an NES but we weren't glued to the TV for 8 hours a day playing it, we didn't really have anything hand-held, I had a Snow White and Little Mermaid hand-held gaming devices by tiger electronics but that's it.  I much preferred taking my toys outside to play on nice days or me and my brother would pretend to be Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers (but that was during the 90's).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:16:53 PM by Majesty »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2016, 01:25:03 PM »
I played a lot of SNES and computer games inside, to be honest.  I played outside too, but not as much as the previous generation had.

I also didn't have any neighborhood friends.  :/  There weren't a lot of kids in my neighborhood.  The only playdates I went on was at a girl's house who lived miles away, so I didn't get to go much.  And she only came to play at our house once that I remember.

In retrospect, I think my mom didn't want her coming to our house because her family was quite wealthy (both parents were doctors) and my mom maybe thought they would judge us or something.  This girl had the entire basement of her house as her playroom and it was filled with every toy ever.

Anyway, mostly I played by myself.  I didn't mind.  I sometimes played with my ponies outside, but not much.  I know because the ponies with fading hair kept their pink hair, lol.

Yeah, Tiger Electronics games were huuuge for a while.  I had a game kind of like that, except it was Mario (so not technically from Tiger).

Oh, one big thing that happened in the 80s was the Berlin Wall came down, and East Germany and West Germany became just "Germany" again.

Another difference between the current day and the 80s was the attitude towards children's / young adult literature.  There were kids books, yes.  But it was considered nerdy to really ENJOY reading books, unless they were franchise things like "Sweet Valley High", "Babysitters Club", or "Goosebumps".   Most of the really good books I enjoyed reading as a kid were written in the 70s or even 60s or earlier--The Rats of NIMH, The Dark Is Rising series, The Rescuers series, Harriet the Spy, Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles, Henry Reed Inc., and so on.

It's weird, because the 80s had a lot of great fantasy movies.  But it was kind of barren when it came to literature.  If you can think of some great 80s series please post them, but I just can't think of any right now.

Reading is much more acceptable / cool among kids today than it was in the 80s.  I'm always happy when I see a kid toting around Harry Potter or The Hunger Games.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:40:59 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2016, 02:54:25 PM »
I love this thread!! I wasn't around in the 80s (did watch a lot of 80s cartoons as a kid tho) but I've always been curious about it, so this thread is super interesting :D

I stuck to the smaller ones like a mini carousel (me being nuts about horses), and a small roller coaster called the Go Gator.

omg, they had those over there, too?!? The fair that comes to my town every year still has a Go Gator (and has done ever since I can remember), it was one of my favourites :frolic:.

(Also, that pic of 80s Luna is super cute!!)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2016, 04:02:31 AM »
I remember drinking out of the hose.  :P
[/color]

Now that you mention it, so do I!

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2016, 08:19:37 AM »
The toilet paper at our school was made of something similar to tracing paper!! Did anyone else have that??!! It hurt and didn't really soak anything up so wasn't very effective at all :D My mum used to put a few pieces of normal toilet roll in my little satchel in case I needed to go while I was there!! That isn't my only memory of the 80s but a lot of it's already been covered.

Jules x

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2016, 11:03:57 AM »
hose water is the best water.

WORD. 

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2016, 11:09:32 PM »
OMG.

I was born in '83, but even so, my 80's was sooo much different from everyone else, mainly because I am at the arse end of the planet.

We had 2 TV channels, and no cable or charge TV.
My parents had hundreds of records, proper albums, with amazing artwork.
Everything shut on a Sunday.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2016, 02:55:31 AM »
Everything shut on a Sunday.

It still does that in Germany. And in the 80s, Saturdays were only until 2 pm or something. Don't remember when they changed that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal