collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What were the 80s like?  (Read 11814 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What were the 80s like?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 12:06:08 PM »
Great point about music!  MTV was huge and so was music.  I think the popularity of MTV was actually part of the inspiration for Jem.

Oh, also anime was unknown.   I think the first time anime entered into the American consciousness was when Pokemon was dubbed, which was the 90s I think?

(I mean, I'm sure there were a few specialized geeks who got imported anime, but the average joe on the street wouldn't know what it was.)

True, it was largely unknown.  However, I remember watching some anime movies on The Disney Channel (back when it was good--no commercials and awesome programming).  We taped some and wore out the tapes.  I remember a version of Aladdin (which I have never been able to find on DVD) and The Fantastic Adventures of Unico and Unico in the Island of Magic.  The Unico movies are available on DVD now. 

Offline Sumire

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 01:35:45 PM »
I can tell you what the eighties were like in a small town in Michigan. It would be quite a bit different if I lived in California or New York City or another country. It took a lot longer for fads and fashions and pop culture to circulate before the internet.

We had a hand-me-down TV with dials - one for VHF and one for UHF. We had to rubber band the dials to make them stay in place. We got PBS, ABC, NBC and CBS and a TV station out of Toledo that became Fox I think but only came in sometimes. Sometimes you could hear it but all you saw was fuzz. I was such a big Heathcliff fan back then (actually a Cleo fan but she was on Heathcliff's show) I would watch the fuzz waiting for the picture to come back in.

Fox was just getting started in the mid-eighties. It didn't have original prime time programming until 1987 and even then it was only one night, Sunday. My memory is that it mainly ran syndicated shows and seemed "cheap" compared to the "Big Three."

My dad and grandparents always watched 60 Minutes and Sunday Morning with Charles Kuralt. The newscasters still seemed to most people like really honest, dependable, serious, intelligent and unbiased people. I can still list the anchor's names from memory. Dan Rather, Tom Brookaw, and... okay my family must not have been big ABC viewers because I did have to look Peter Jennings up but the name was instantly familiar. The women in the field tended to not be granted the same standing as their male co-anchors back then but I can name a few of them too, Barbara Waters and Connie Chung spring to mind. Diane Sawyer stands out too.

My favorite Saturday morning cartoons were Alvin and the Chipmunks, Muppet Babies, Pound Puppies, Kidd Video, Galaxy High and My Little Ponies. If you got up really early (which my friend Elizabeth did whenever I stayed over) you could watch Woody Woodpecker and Popeye and other cartoons like that which I didn't like at all. After Saturday Morning Cartoons, usually WWF (now WWE) wrestling came on or some sport. It was such a letdown for me every week - so much fun and then so much boringness.

My cousins had cable and watched things like Pinwheel, You Can't Do That on Television and Double Dare on Nickelodeon. I wasn't very jealous. I didn't like those shows. When my dad got cable in 1988 or so, I did watch a lot of MTV though. Music videos were so cool!

Kids would get yelled at on the school bus for bringing boom boxes on with them. I remember them playing Living on a Prayer and You Give Love a Bad Name. I really wanted a radio/cassette player of my own but I didn't get one until I was in fifth grade or thereabouts so I didn't even know Sting was a person rather than a band when people mentioned him at school! I did know The Bangles (I remember roller skating to Walk Like an Egyptian at the roller rink) and Michael Jackson (my ballet teacher had us practice jetés to his Thriller album on the record player and one of the girls in school had a Michael Jackson doll when we played Barbies) and Madonna (everyone was talking about how she didn't shave her armpits) and Whitney Houston (I remember listening to How Will I Know at a Girls Scouts YMCA lock-in).

I sent away for a "portable tape player" by saving up UPC symbols from Kotex products. Receiving that peach box of Kotex samples with the inspiring quotes and the cool scribble design seemed so amazing to me! How did they know that I was a teen (or close enough)? It came with a peach plastic carrying pouch as well as a little catalog of free stuff you could send away for. I cut out all the inspirational quotes and stuck them on my bedroom wall.

I was in the third grade when the Challenger disaster happened. The fourth graders had a TV in their room especially for the launch. I can still remember a fourth grade teacher, Ms Martin I believe her name was, come into our room frozen in shock and announcing that the Challenger blew up. I can't remember the rest of the day. We were all in shock. We had been reading about the mission for months in our Weekly Reader (a classroom publication). Christa McAuliffe being on board was such a huge deal! A teacher! She was going to send us lessons from space!

On to happier topics. Along with Weekly Reader we got book order pamphlets fairly regularly in school like Troll and Scholastic. You could of course wait for the school book fair but I was desperate to get the next Little House book so we ordered one whenever we had the money to do so.

I was super jealous of Samantha Smith. She wrote a letter to Gorbachev about wanting peace and became super famous. (This is my child self speaking, looking her up she died in a plane crash in 1985 and she wrote to Yuri Andropov not Gorbachev who wasn't even in power back in 1982 - childhood memories are like that I guess, I remember a kid being famous but not much beyond that obviously).

My friends had posters of the two Coreys: Corey Haim and Corey Feldman on their bedroom walls from Tiger Beat, Teen Beat and Bop. Kirk Cameron was also huge, along with Johnny Depp and Michael J. Fox. Jonathan Brandis was beginning to gather steam. I never got any of those magazines but I did subscribe to Barbie magazine (I remember a tip about drinking a glass of water before Thanksgiving dinner so you wouldn't eat too much and a comic strip about Barbie's aerobic class done with dolls). My family also got Cricket magazine (which is a great magazine and still around) and I think Zoobooks for a while (and maybe Ranger Rick). Later I subscribed to YM myself like a big girl. I think I may have gotten Seventeen for a year as well. Sassy eventually became my magazine of choice though - it was so alternative!

I also subscribed to Especially For Girls. I don't think I got the books they sold, just the cards with information on everything from how to talk to boys to how to do a scalp massage for thicker, stronger hair and they all fit in my Teen Works binder. (I wish I kept some now as I can't remember how to do the scalp massage.)

On the topic of subscriptions, we had Sweet Pickles books which my dad hated. We had a few ValueTale books but I don't think we signed on for all of them. I think we got Doctor Seuss books from a subscription service too and maybe Disney too. My mom also sometimes got books from the Mystery Guild book club. My aunt and uncle also got us four whole sets of Encyclopædia Britannica. (They didn't have any kids of their own.) We had the Britannica Discovery Library, the Young Children's Encyclopaedia, the Britannica Junior Encyclopædia and then the actual Encyclopædia Britannica. They looked very impressive on our bookshelves. I do actually remember reading them from time to time too.

Speaking of things sold door to door, my mom bought a Rainbow Water Vacuum Cleaner from a door to door salesman.

I remember in Michigan we were really hyped up about the Japanese. They were going to overthrow America's power (especially on the car manufacturing front). Japanese kids went to school on Saturday and had no summer vacation. They were really good at math and diligently studied all the time. They were so hard-working they even cleaned their own schools! We were falling behind and total slackers! We worried about the Soviet Union too but it seemed less "you need to do something" to me back then. (Later when I taught in Japan I found out they get about as much vacation from school as we did, just spread out through the year and the "cleaning" they did was just about as thorough as you can imagine handing a 15 year old a broom and a dustpan would entail.)

Ads targeted at kids were so out of date. There was no way to easily track what kids were saying so three years after no one was saying it advertisements for Bubble Tape were slinging around "Radical" and "Awesome." I can't decide if Madison Avenue tracks trends on Twitter and keeps up now or if I'm too old to know how out of step they still are. >_<

There was a lot of graffiti inspired art. Paint spatters and scribbles and splotches were popular. Glitter too and puff paint.  The Bedazzler actually made things look cool. Unicorns on things like your Trapper Keeper and notebooks. And I'm not talking Lisa Frank just yet, the early eighties stuff looked like the art you saw airbrushed on vans.

Jelly shoes were in, rubber bracelets (no stories back then about secret sex meanings - at least not that I was aware of), plastic charms with bells you wore on plastic chains around your neck, frosted denim everything, scrunch socks (layered scrunch socks is two different colors), scrunchie hair bands, side ponytails, crimping (including pressing designs like hearts and stars in your hair), stirrup pants, bangs curled and teased and fluffed up as high as they could go, neons, pastels, mixed patterns like polka dots and stripes, parachute material, Guess jeans, pegging your jeans (folding them over and rolling them up), fishnets, Boy Toy sweatshirts a la Madonna, Pound Puppies and Cabbage Kids had their people beat each other up for Christmas gifts heydays (I still remember Jodie had over twenty of them - including Koosas!), and legwarmers of course some even to match your sweater designs.

I had a Holly Hobbie doll bunk bed and carried a metal Strawberry Shortcake lunchbox to first grade. When we went on our summer road trip to see my mom's family out in California my mom would tuck a sheet across the back seat so we couldn't lose Legos down the seat crack. She would keep us busy with comics (Ewoks, Archie and Muppet Babies), coloring/activity books and car games like bingo. She bought stuff all year long and would tuck them away and give new things to us as we drove along to keep up the surprises. We drove out in my grandma's Lincoln Town Car which was like a limousine! The back seat was huge and it had velour seats (you didn't stick to them like you did to vinyl) and power windows! And a tape deck! We could listen to The Best of Peter, Paul and Mary: Ten Years Together, and Sesame Street's 10th Anniversary Album and collections of folk songs for kids. Of course it stunk like cigarettes because there were ash trays in the armrests and my grandma smoked but despite that it was a dream car. (Yes, we did wear seat belts, lap belts in the back seat, I would scream if anyone tried to back out of the driveway before I got my seat belt on, I was a cautious kid).

Oh, also anime was unknown.   I think the first time anime entered into the American consciousness was when Pokemon was dubbed, which was the 90s I think?

True, although Sailor Moon was the first time I knew something was anime and that was a few years before Pokemon (1995 to Pokemon's 1998) but I was in college and able to look stuff up on the brand new internet so I was in the know like that! :P Actually Nickelodeon had some anime shows back in the day, we just didn't know it. Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, Maya the Bee and Noozles were all anime shows. (Or Japanimation if we really want to go totally 80s!)

Okay, that is way more than enough rambling from me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:40:45 PM by Sumire »
If wishes were horses, they'd be My Little Ponies.
Thanks to moonflower for my adorable adoptable!

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »
I remember seeing a few Japanese shows dubbed into english and shown at weird times on the weekends.  They were usually the kind of program that you caught flipping channels at 2:30 on Sunday afternoon or something.  I didn't know they were Japanese at the time(found out much later), but anime technically was around in the 80s.  It was just hard to find and not advertised as being from overseas. 

I do know for a fact this was on cable during the summer of '86:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysterious_Cities_of_Gold

It's not your typical anime thing since it's a French-Japanese thing, but it's in the range.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 03:22:28 PM »
There was anime available in the 80's but it was highly limited - I remember watching Astro Boy every summer in the mornings before any of the adults were up.  You could rent some of it from the video store too, though again very few options and it was usually one or two episodes out of a whole show which often didn't make much sense.

I remember the first Compact Discs, which were hella expensive but so 'high tech' at the time. No ribbons to wear out or break, no rewinding!  Truly space age.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 03:25:03 PM »
I had an atrociously massive tape player that I would carry around with me as a little girl.

I remember those!  They were called portable stereos, and took six D batteries.

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »
My biggest memories of the 80s was PacMan on the Atari (loved that thing). And then of course the Challenger explosion. The biggest event for my family though was the Berlin Wall coming down. My family emigrated to the US right before WW2. I remember watching the tv while my grandparents cried. We were able to talk to family for the very first time since the war. It was amazing

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 05:06:59 PM »
Unico! 

Let's see.  It was the time of a recession.  Many areas, including my family's neighborhood, were hit hard.  All of my jeans had holes in them.  My mom hated that manufacturers later started selling them with holes because they wore out faster.  Songs about being poor, surviving and then "making it" were popular (since late 70s).  It became more accepted for both parents to work but there was still a lot of backlash for the working woman, especially if she was trying to break into a new field.  My mother really struggled with this.  Both men and women had the same attitude.  Rock and Roll was faster and louder with lyrics actually getting shouted and sometimes screamed.  Rap went mainstream.

As time wore on, holes in jeans and jean jackets were glamorized.  Rhinestones, big bows, puffy paint, neon were pasted all over "cheap" clothing although much of it wasn't cheap at all.  I remember the slightly older generations making fun of clothes with holes already in it.  They claimed those holes weren't earned.  :P

But I think the clothing trend at the time was about making run-down look sparkly and colorful.  Kind of a funky rebellious look. Rebellious until it became mainstream.  Haha.

In the early 80s cable was just catching on.  My family didn't get cable until the late 80s.  No internet, two channels on TV and so most of my time was spent outside.  I saw about 5 movies in a theater my entire childhood.  And... kids actually did get hurt.  In my school, a little boy lost his arm climbing on a train, one drowned, another had amnesia from falling from the monkey bars, some lost fingers and there were a lot of broken bones.  But parental attitudes didn't change other than use those kids as examples of things that happen when you aren't careful.  I do remember the made for TV movie called, "Adam" that really started scaring parents about letting kids roam.  That movie, started the missing kids on milk cartons trend and also a movement for giving kids more rights and keeping them safer.  But maybe they've gone too far... I never see kids running around the neighborhood now.

Toys started getting their own TV shows and became a form of escapism.  Since parents couldn't spend much time with their kids, vacations were impossible and kids were spending more time alone after school watching TV,  the toy industry really took off.  They were cheap, collectable and kept kids occupied. 

I really, really loved My Little Pony and Transformers.  It became the only two shows I ever wanted to watch.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Thrice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I drop science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 10:09:37 PM »
This post!! I *love* it.

I was born in 1983, so I'm technically a millennial, but an early one so...like...a prototype millennial? Tech looked a lot different in the 80s. Our house had a rotary-dial phone; I was a fast dialer. Our TV had rabbit-ear antennae and thirteen channels; we watched movies on VHS. My grandpa and dad had a shady recording apparatus set up that enabled us to make copies of VHS tapes that, say, we rented from the movie store. CDs weren't a thing. Giant laser disks weren't even a thing until later down the line, when we started watching programs on them at school. They were huge and shiny and presented to us as THE FUTURE.

Our cars were stick-shift and locked manually. Our garage door was manual. My mom used to buy dairy products from a drive through. Our sprinkler system wasn't automated; we used a metal prong to open the valve. We had a window-box air conditioner and a gas heater that I'd huddle in front of on school mornings in the winter. It made pleasant, gentle clanging sounds when it was on.

Big hair really was a thing, for women and men both. Big hair, toned bodies, and OMG shoulder pads. Music was frantic, bouncy, often high-pitched. Synth and electronic percussion. TV was terrible quality broadcast, but no one noticed because it was in color after all. Cartoons were frightening-yet-awesome lucid dreams, with fantastical landscapes and muscular heroes. Fantasy movies from the 80s, I think, are a unique genre all their own. The lack of digital at that time meant heavy compensation with practical effects, which could either make the film (a) more realistic or (b) more disturbing depending on the quality of the effect.

Computers. My dad had a Mac that he'd use, and all I'd see was lines of green text on a black background. Windows was barely beginning to exist when I was two. Before I started using floppy disks, I had large cartridges that I'd lock into place to play pixelated games. Most of my play was with physical toys, but I liked having Oregon Trail at school. I learned to type on an electronic typewriter in the mid-90s. I remember the birth of the internet, and remember being unimpressed at the time, because it meant teachers having us use it for even more research in our reports.

Okay, that's enough out of me, jeez. Moonchild forever over here.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 11:19:50 PM »
Hmmm I will quote some definite agreements I have about my memories of the 80's.  I was born in '82 for perspective.

Bullying was a fact of life and accepted. Spanking was acceptable. It had only been a short time since the principle stopped paddling children.

It was still legal in Utah when I went to school.  Not that they often had to use this kind of disciplinary force but it apparently has upgraded that now teachers can carry guns too! :(

I had 6 whole years in the 80's ha, so I remember the awesome cartoons!! MLP, care bears, Jem, Fraggle Rock, Popples, TMNT, Transformers, etc. I remember getting our cassette tape player, walkman, VCR, the original Nintendo. I feel like technology was really getting a foothold in homes at this time. I had an atrociously massive tape player that I would carry around with me as a little girl. I was only a kid but the 80s fashion still sticks with me and some I hate and some of it is still awesome.  Lot's of bright colours and shoulder pads (still hate these). The music was great with Michael Jackson and so many now classic hits playing all the time. It was a fun time to be a kid :)

No one really had a cell-phone and no internet so it feels like a different time. In elementary school and going into the 90s I remember knowing all my friends phone numbers off by heart. I can remember a time before the internet. it's changed so fast it's hard to believe we lived without all this technology. I'm happy I new a time before all of it.

Oh the cartoons... *sigh*  I used to eat massive bowls of cereal while sitting on the top of the projection box of our projection TV.  Not that my parents liked THAT at all but I thought it was an amazingly cool place to watch the TV from and not be in the way of the projector - when you are less than 4 ft tall, you can't see OVER the silly box, so... uhhhh child logic?

Oh yes, our generation was into music VERY VERY much and our access to it was extremely limited.  I have very fond memories of all my personal music players - a Poochie AM/FM radio, a little pink radio/cassette player, a black and aqua boombox stereo, the Walkman, a stereo CD player, the Discman and then the Rio...  LOL  clearly access to music was important to us if I can remember all that!

There was no such thing as "bored."  If you were "bored" it was because you were boring.  Kids learned to use their imaginations instead of a tablet to entertain themselves.  If you threw a tantrum your parents smacked your butt and sent you to the corner and nobody called the cops because they weren't abusing you, they were being responsible parents and you were being a little *&^% that needed discipline. 
Kids played OUTSIDE without worrying about being kidnapped.  We played on wooden jungle gyms.  We drank out of the hose.  We scraped our knees and threw mud at each other. 

If you said "bored" your parents OR your friend's parents! found some evil horrible chore - polishing silver, dusting moulding and baseboards, scrubbing cabinets and the fridge (my mom's favorite), helping iron the heirloom linens, change mothballs, empty and sort and scrub down a shed/garage, etc. 

We were expected to entertain ourselves outside.  "Be home by sun-down!"-commonly heard in my childhood by friends' parents.

We dared each other to eat the mud. We ate the mud too, out of comraderie.

My friends and I would save all our allowance to spend on walking to the grocery store, renting movies, and buying candy while staying up all night.  Oh it was glorious...

You could record songs off the radio onto tape.  If you were really lucky and had a dual tape deck, you could copy from tape to tape and make mix tapes for yourself or your friends.  I'd spend my evenings trying to catch that one song I wanted from the radio.  The first few seconds were always cut off unless the DJ announced it was going to be the next song:p

It was possible to record tv shows onto tape.  It was even possible to set the VCR to record a certain channel at a certain time, but it was so complicated you probably needed a degree in Electrical Engineering to get it to work.

HAHA Oh my goodness... I think I may have possibly saved some of my mix tapes and radio recordings from childhood simply because they were so nostalgic...  I memorized the VCR manual to figure out to auto-record MLP episodes but one of our renters wrote over the tape with WWF wrestling - AAAAAAAAAAAAAURGH!  *throws fakie*

Phones were not cordless so if I talked to someone I had to sit on a stool in the kitchen or the livingroom depending on which phone I choose. I could never talk about personal and private things because someone would always be able to listen. Not that I had a lot of private things to talk about in that young age but still.

Definitely remember this!  I had to sneak extra cord out of the junk drawer when I wanted to have a "private" conversation and snake the cords under doors... LOL
 My household's first cordless phone was a little too liberal on its frequencies - I could listen to the neighbours' conversations! 

All the book series were so awesome - even now I enjoy them!  Sweet Valley, BSC, Girl Talk, Sleepover Sisters, Fabulous Five...  the Boy Scouts had an awesome magazine at the time... Ranger Rick, etc.

Comics were huge - I read a LOT of MAD Magazine and Calvin & Hobbes, also Garfield. Garfield was a favorite for a long, long time... 

Anime and manga didn't really rise as a trend until about '92 with Pokemon, Dragonball/Z, Sailor Moon... I mean we had watered down "robot and space" shows like Voltron and some child-friendly classics like Unico, but ALL the animation we saw, including MLP cartoons came from overseas and we knew it, we didn't distinguish the specific style really. 

SO MUCH BRIGHT NEON EVERYTHING.  You went momentarily blind walking into clothing stores... :)

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 02:24:15 AM »
Even though it's a 70s cartoon I saw Candy Candy a lot in the 80s.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Candy
In Dutch dub because it wasn't an English cartoon. I think that was one of first anime on TV?
Most cartoons over here were dubbed in Dutch but I also watched the English versions on Sky channel.

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 03:10:22 AM »
this song sums it up i think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeEWtNaW6KE
i cried when i first herd this as i just wished i could go back in time and live the good times again
most of the refs are british though

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 06:04:04 AM »
A lot of playing outside. Not much on TV most days. We made clubhouses out of trees and our best friends tended to live within range of our bicycles. Climbing trees was a big part of play. So was sneaking up onto the roofs of our houses.....Mostly because if we got caught our parents made us get down......Injuries. Lots of injuries. My knees have so many scars it isn't funny and every one has a story. The big ones I even remember. They were my favorite collection as a kid and I wore them as badges of honor. We caught frogs and lizards and made mudpies and then tried to convince younger siblings to eat them. Sometimes we succeeded. Then we got in trouble. We had family dinnertime and our mom read us stories every night before bed. We knew the monsters under the bed were really and they would steal your stuffed animals as you slept and if you weren't careful they'd get you too. And forget closet monsters! Those were worse! We spent our days as mermaids, or detectives, or Tarzan, or aliens, or a myriad of other things. We played. And our toys didn't play by themselves..... I remember once when my nephew was about 3 or 4 (he was born in 98) he looking for a new toy in the store and I picked up.....Something.....I don't remember what and he said "What does it do?" I looked at him like he'd lost his tiny little mind and said, "What do you mean what does it do? It doesn't DO anything! You PLAY with it!" But the thing was, in his world nearly all of his toys did something. They moved or made a noise or in some way "did" something. He didn't live in a world were you drove the car around on the floor. In his world, you flipped a switch and it went on its own. He didn't make the teddy bear talk in a funny voice and move around. He pressed a button and it had its own voice and walked itself. In my world,if a toy did something, it was nearly always because you made it do it and not by pushing a button or flipping a switch. We usually had a few with gimmicks but they were the less fun toys. They were exciting for 5 minutes or so when you first got them, but then they were toybox warmers as you went back to the ones whose lives YOU created. I can't really tell you what went on in "the big world" or really anyone's life outside of my own and those I encountered. We had no internet, so what we knew really came from the tv or those around us and news was boring to a kid. Oh and reading! We read a lot. It was fun. There was nothing on tv for kids most of the time and we typically only had 1 tv anyway so we couldn't always watch what we wanted anyway. Reading was an exciting adventure to have when our friends went home. And most days there were always friends. Kids now seem to spend a lot of time alone with screens. We really didn't. We usually had a least one non-sibling child with us during all daylight hours and we did dumb things together. We got hurt and got in trouble and had wonderful amazing adventures.  Lot of days we even had sleep overs and stayed up all night freaking each other out hearing random scary noises and telling stories after the parents went to bed. And every town seems to have a few haunted houses or witches to be wary of. The number seemed to depend on the size of bicycle ranges because every range had at least one. We had a witch. Lived halfway between mine and my best friend's houses. I don't know WHY we decided she was a witch. We just did. Probably because it was a good location for one and it was fun either sneaking passed or running as fast as we could passed her house everyday. We even had "The Brown Rusty Van". I have no idea who or what was in this van.....I'm not certain it was even real or if it was our town's version of an urban legend, but we all feared The Brown Rusty Van. There were all sorts of stories about it. They were kidnappers and everyone always knew someone who knew someone who knew a kid they took. And the crazy things we imagined they did to kids....Yeah.....We were darn good at using our imaginations. Rainy days sucked because you couldn't go outside usually and your friends had to stay home too. Those days you laid on the floor wallowing and whining at your mom that you were bored and she'd tell you "Then go clean your room." Eventually, you'd find something to do, you always did but not without complaining and moping first. And sometimes SOMETIMES your mom would even let you put on old clothes or a bathing suit and go out to play in the rain and the puddles if it wasn't a big storm. Oh and there were no cell phones. If you left home, you couldn't be reached. People had to leave messages on your answering machine if your family was lucky and had one, that or you just missed calls. Somehow......The 80's world was much more free in that way. It was nice being able to not be reached ALL the time......A kind of escape......Maybe I'll start leaving my cell behind.....

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 07:11:09 AM »
We had a witch too! A scary looking house across from the kindergarten.

I love this thread so much, there are sooooooooo many memories coming back! Some things were clearly different in America, but many things were the same.

My best friend and I pretty much lived on our bicycles. Littlefoot or Ducky or both from Land Before Time always on our bike basket rack. My parents complained when I stayed indoors too much.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 07:15:14 AM »
We had a witch too! A scary looking house across from the kindergarten.

See?? Every town! Always. It's just how it was.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 07:21:23 AM »
I was born right at the end of 1988, so I'm technically from the 80s, but I have no memories of the time whatsoever because I was too young.

TBH, I can hardly even remember the 90s.  :P

|My Collection|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal