collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ever regret customizing a pony?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Ever regret customizing a pony?
« on: May 17, 2016, 05:10:05 PM »
I got them Friendship Blossom ponies a while ago (The ones that came painted with flowery designs all over) and ended up taking off said designs with an acetone treatment. Took off some of the eyes/lashes as well, but I found a friend that should be able to fix them for me.

Fast forward to now, I kinda wish I didn't remove that paint job. On one hand, the uniqueness of that toy line is lost. At first I did not like those extra designs at all, having second thoughts now. And this isn't something I can replace easily, unless I want to shell out $30-40 for a new set of Friendship Blossom ponies.
I'm thinking I might feel better about this situation once my friend fixes the eye's paint.

Just felt like talking about this and getting it off my chest.
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Terra

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Longeared/
Re: Ever regret customizing a pony?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 05:45:10 PM »
Awwe yeh... Like you, there is a pony I've customized to be more "show accurate". While I like it better the way it is now, I similarly have been feeling recently like I messed up some of its uniqueness.

I repainted the Celestia from this set some years back,  because, you know... Pink celestia???

http://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/Name/princesscelestiaFIM.html

Here she is, I still think she looks pretty nice - but she did come from the very first g4 set, which as far as I'm aware is tough to come by now. Besides, now that Hasbro wised up and started making her the proper color, the pink thing is a bit quirky!
Princess trio by Terra Dinosaura, on Flickr
I still have a pink Celestia in the same mold, from the target exclusive pack with the first luna figure. She is a little different though, colorwise!

I'm second guessing myself, but you know... she still looks nice, and I'll bet your cleaned up set of flower ponies will be nice too. They're still unique in their own way!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:45:39 PM »
We live and learn. Next time buy two of each:)

I customised a beautiful Slugger only for him to come out in loads of brown spots. Might have to fbr and start again :(
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:36:59 PM »
Just because of "Customizer's Remorse" I never customize a pony unless I have another one of the exact same pony or unless it's already been destroyed (hair cut/markers/etc.).  I bought three sets of the Friendship Blossom ponies specifically so that I could take the extra designs off a set and have a set to customize even further.  I did the same with the Fashion Size Daring Do.  I like her better without all the extra stuff.  I also bought six or seven sets of the molded hair ponies that Terra talked about when they first came out way back when G4 was starting because I wanted to customize them and at the time I wasn't sure we were ever going to get brushables.  I didn't paint any of the Celestias white (I thought about it but didn't get to it until after Hasbro released white Celestia so I decided to save her for a different project) but I did "Princess" up the mane six.  They're on my DA page along with a few G1 to G4s I did using some of the molded hair ponies.

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:43:05 AM »
Yeah if there's a line that gas a feature I don't like I usually buy double .  One to keep original and one to modify to how I think it should look.

It's more expensive that way sure but it saves the regret later on down the track.   Ad there is no way to know if a set will be worth anything down the track when they first come out

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:25:33 AM »
When I was still new and young at collecting, I was trying my hand at customizing and I customized a mail order Valentine baby. Not a huge deal, but I still haven't replaced her. :(

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
I have a different kind of customizer's regret.

I spent a decent amount of time customizing wings for a couple of fakie ponies

sculpted, airbrushed, and started to re-root..  and then the paint peeled since the plastic is such low quality that it started seeping plastisizer immediately-  and they never really stood up right because of the wonky mold-  and the plastic is so thin that the re-hairing just didn't go well...

Anyway, I regret putting so much time into a couple of ponies that I ended up tossing.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:29:46 AM by Galactica »

Offline Iceglider

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Mommy, Artist, Roleplayer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/creaturepainter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 06:09:19 PM »
I regretted someone else customizing a pony.  :lol: I saw these REALLY ugly customs on Ebay years ago that had beads glued all over them (not like all of the gorgeous ones that you ladies make!). One was in Lucky's pose (which is not too common). I felt someone should buy him to re-customize and make him look nice again.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 07:20:29 AM »
Yeah, once, but I fixed him now so it's all good.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 05:14:31 AM »
I have only once customized a pony I regretted later, it was one of my childhood ponies and a bit harder to find. He was bitten and broken so I thought I wouldn't mind it in my teenage foolishness but as you can see it stills troubles me.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 07:01:02 AM »
Galactica, I hope you salvaged those great custom wings before tossing the fakies!

I am new, but I always get a second one even to style differently.  I liked Star Catcher and wanted to de-tinsel her hair so I got a second one now I am not even sure I want to de-tinsel the second one either.....is that pre-remorse?

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 07:09:34 AM »
Yes, it wasn't the worst choice, but I did customize two of the more valuable g4s (not Muffins valuable thank goodness).  I wish I had just rehaired them instead.

Offline Ambar

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 08:14:21 PM »
i customized a ton of mexican nirvanas when i was a child, i didn´t know that they were collectibles in that moment, so i regret it because i still have some of them, and my customs weren´t good enough so i been working on them recently, but yea...they were nirvanas

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 11:45:38 PM »
I customized some of my childhood G1's about 12 years ago  :cry: I wish I had left them original. What makes me more sad is the ponies I stole hair from to make those customs because back then there was no Dollyhair.com so my only source of hair was other ponies.  >_<

Offline puuush

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Customizing is my destiny
    • View Profile
    • etsy
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 05:12:41 AM »
Yes, I started to customize my childhood baby seapony foamy and her float. She had filthy hair but was otherwise perfect.
I also destroyed the float as I was new to customizing and threw it away.
Foamy is still sitting in my baitbox to be turned into something special but I now don't have an idea for her and she makes me sad everytime I pick her up.
I replaced her for my collection but it's not the same... *sigh*

wanted | etsy Avatar by AnnaPommes, signature by LunaCat. Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal