collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is a nirvana?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
What is a nirvana?
« on: May 05, 2016, 08:58:50 AM »
As the title really?  I've not heard of them and wondered just what they were please

[moving from nirvana sales to the nirvana forum love pkw xxx]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 11:46:03 AM by pinkkittywinks »

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: What is a nirvana?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:38:40 AM »
For me they are variants of ponies we know from other countries than US and UK.I also think there needs to be a physical difference between the normal US pony and the variant,not just the printing on the hooves, but that's my personnal definition.Others may have a different definition of who is a nirvana and who isn't.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 10:04:57 AM »
Back in the g1 days, Hasbro gave the MLP license to several toy-producing companies across the globe to make ponies. Some of these foreign-made pony variants that look almost exactly like their standard US release (like Italy or Spain) or nothing like them, distinguishable only by symbols (like Colombia or Argentina). Some of these can be very rare and expensive - like Japanese or South African ponies, which can go for thousands of dollars! - or cost about the same as standard releases.

There are also ponies that were made in China but only sold in select European countries. Generally, from what I've seen, these aren't counted as nirvana, but rather Euro ponies.

So basically, nirvanas are ponies made in countries other than China :) sorry for the incoherent rambling and any business specifics I got wrong.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 10:23:16 AM »
My collection has USA, UK and Euro ponies but no nirvanas.  I have come across a couple of Italians because they are very common but I sold them on as I don't collect them.  OK I just told a lie, I forgot I have a Dutch pony called Green Baby Schoolbag that counts as a Nirvana, also the German version of Sweet Clover that I think also counts as Nirvana.  If anyone could inform me that'd be great!

Here is the Nirvana Gallery to give you an idea...
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378632.0/topicseen.html

There is a recent thread about it
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »
:)

This thread will be helpful for you as it explains everything you need to know about nirvana ponies ^.^

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,283451.0.html

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 01:12:46 PM »
I would also consider prototypes and unofficial releases to be Nirvana ponies. and they are in the nirvana gallery as well. ;)
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline Tracks

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 01:39:33 PM »
Thank you all - you learn something new every day!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »
Yup, looks as though none of mine are because they were made in the same factories as the standard releases.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 02:02:22 PM »
Yup, looks as though none of mine are because they were made in the same factories as the standard releases.

They are regional specific releases like the Mountain Boys :)

They were put under the nirvana umbrella when the term was first coined since no one understood about the releases.

This goes for the German Rainbows and Princesses too.

Love pkw xxx

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 02:06:15 PM »
I genuinely don't think that the peach Sweet Clover can count as a Nirvana when she's more common than the pink version sold in the UK and Greece...I think they're just variations from one another and that's all. Sweet Clover seems to have been more popular over on the continent - she got next to no publicity here and that's probably why she's rarer; our adverts even have the German one in, so I'd say she was mainstream.

I don't really like the Nirvana term, though. I think it's too vague with too many definitions. Didn't like it when it was created xD don't like it now. Sorry, Arena xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 05:17:51 AM »
No need to be sorry Taffeta :hug:

A lot has changed and our knowledge has vastly increased since the term "nirvana" was coined :)

Love pkw xxx

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »
I tend to think of it as meaning 'non-US ponies that are not made in the same places as US ones, and/or variants of a known pony' so if a pony is made in Hong Kong or China, they don't count *unless* they are also in some way a variant(like the Dutch ponies, the Thailand made boys, etc.)
Though any more, I usually just say non-US or variant, cause I'm not sure it's polite to use a term only people on here will 'get'. :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:03:48 PM by lunar_scythe »
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 07:08:16 PM »
I am a tiny bit confused about Nirvanas I have to admit!

I think technically, they are alternate versions of original characters.  So UK ponies like Jewellery Babies or Tales Ponies are not nirvana because they have unique symbols.  Non-so-soft ponies and the Starlight baby ponies tend to be referred to as UK versions rather than nirvana, although technically I guess they are nirvana, if you're counting the US releases as the primary characters.

I think all of the Dutch ponies are nirvana because they feature the symbols of existing UK ponies.  Original German ponies like the Nesthaeckchen babies by that definition would not be Nirvana as they have original symbols.

However rare ponies from countries other than the US are often seen as Nirvanas in practice.  I would consider the Nestie ponies nirvana; if I was looking to buy or sell them I'd go to the Nirvana sales page.  Basically any pony which is rare and from another country, regardless of being a variant or an original character comes under the Nirvana umbrella.  While say Mountain Boys and Jewellery Babies aren't *technically* nirvana, they would tend to be discussed on the Nirvana forum and sales board rather than with general ponies.

Any thoughts?

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 12:42:17 PM »
Standard release UK and European issue ponies have never been part of the Nirvana umbrella though, even when a variation on a US character. Partly this is because they were fairly widely released, even if that release did not release the US/Canada.

Rare is a very subjective term and can come and go. Not all Nirvana are rare. The vast majority are made in countries other than HK/China, but there are still humongous differences in rarity :)

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Pierlala

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 08:36:48 AM »
I was wondering the very same thing. I'm quite new on the forums but I always wondered what Nirvanas were. So, Dutch ponies are Nirvana as well? In that case I have one!
My wish list: Click here!.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal