collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I sold my ponies, and now I miss them  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Trinity

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Also known as Elfwink.
    • View Profile
    • Elfwink's Pixels
I sold my ponies, and now I miss them
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:41:50 PM »
*sigh* Yeah. I had a small, established herd of G1s - and about 6 months ago, I sold them due to not having a source of income.  :blush: Now I miss them.

However, at the moment I'm interested in the unique and uncommon (but not rare or expensive) ponies. I'm not interested in say, having the complete set of rainbow ponies, or complete set of big brothers, etc. - but picking designs that stand out and/or have some meaning to me. Does anyone else collect in this way?
:rainbow: also known as Elfwink | pixel art!

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I sold my ponies, and now I miss them
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
I do. I like to buy mystery lots and see what I find. I got a cp bowtie and a perfect nightglider. Otherwise I zero in on specific ponies. Usually for color.

Offline Featherwurm

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Featherwurm Graphics
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 07:40:37 PM »
I am super particular in my collecting.  Apart from the childhood bunch of G1s I have (which I prefer to keep for sentimental reasons at the moment, they are boxed up), I've bought eight G1s I felt I particularly liked to have as a collection, plus five G3s, a few G4 blind bags and one brush-able.  They all fit on one shelf with some other goodies (unicornos, some fakies, a few custom Monster High Dolls).

I like completion, and I admire people who go for it, or who have specialties or armies, but for me, I just want a few nice things on a shelf that make me happy to look at.  A pony has to be pleasing to me in all design aspects - colors, pose, symbols before I really want to add it to my shelf.  It's also just a budget and space thing, I don't have room or $$$ to really invest in this hobby more than observation, but I am quite content in it!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:51:21 PM »
:hug:  I'm sorry you miss your ponies.  I hope you get them back someday.

I used to need every pony in a set but lately I've been downsizing.  I still like at least one pony in most g1 sets, but sometimes that might be all I need from the set.  It just depends.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:55:34 PM »
Since I didnt have childhood ponies, other that a few certain sets I'd actively trade for, it's pretty much on a case by case basis. If I find the pony in the wild and I like it I keep it. If for some reason it doesn't click with me and it isn't absolutely baity (which then it goes in the bait bag) I'll trade it on. Or if it has a minor flaw I'm not willing to accept like a wingless flutter.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 01:01:03 AM »
Hopefully one day you'll be able to replace them.

I'm not interested in say, having the complete set of rainbow ponies, or complete set of big brothers, etc. - but picking designs that stand out and/or have some meaning to me. Does anyone else collect in this way?

Yes, I'm very similar. There are sets that I like, but I can't think of any set where I want every pony in it. I pick ones with colors/symbols that I like and that will add diversity to my collection. I also like to keep a relatively small herd. Currently I have 6 G1s. My G3 herd is somewhat bigger at ~50

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 08:54:30 AM »
Sorry to hear about that, I feel you on that one, it's really pants having to sell ponies when you're hard up but there'll always be others out there - fingers crossed you'll be reunited in the future!
I definitely consider ponies based on their designs now that most of my childhood favourites have been replaced; it's nice to have a small, manageable herd where each pony is special in their own way. :heart:

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 12:56:47 PM »
Yes, I collect like this too! I just want to spend my money on the ponies I really love the design of. I'm not about quantity! But I'm still interested to see everyone else's collections!!

My current favourites in my collection are SS Fifi & Scrumptious, Moon Jumper, Whirly, Strawberry Fair (Sugarberry), and Ringlets. Though my favourites change fairly often!!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »
I did that - sold off a few ponies I didn't have duplicates of, turns out it made me want them more :( I've replaced them all now, but I learned my lesson. Only sell duplicates unless you're 100% sure... and then don't think about them ever again, haha!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

mskittylovesrobin

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 02:03:10 PM »
I totally feel you. I recently started re-collecting all the ones l had and missed. Don't worry. One thing to remember is they can all be found and bought again one day when you have the funds *hugs*

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 02:19:10 PM »
:hug:

I'm sorry...it's tough letting go at times.. but yes you can always buy them again. :)

I first started out collecting just to replace my childhood ponies that I lost.. but then it grew to, Oh I like so and so because of this reason or that reason. I fell in love with the Sparkles, and then the TEs and TAFs. Aside from those sets, most of my collection consists of my childhood herd and ponies I like for whatever reason.
My space is somewhat limited, and I realized I was having a "problem," :P so I had to weed out those that I didn't care too much for and traded / sold a few here and there. I still feel like I need to "buy aalllll the baabiessss" but, monetary funds and space have kinda stifled that voice. :lol:

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 02:28:53 PM »
 :huh: I am really so sorry for you and I do hope you will one day have them all back.   :hug:
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 02:32:34 PM »
I'm both, in the sense that I was and am completionist when it comes to the mainstream...this largely because I began collecting properly as a teenager, had lots of ponies I wanted to get and they were fairly cheap and easy to obtain back then (carboot or trade). Now, with the Nirvana, I am more choosy. I am not interested in super pricy ponies, even if I like to drool at them in other people's collections. I like the OOAK ponies but I don't care about owning any other than the Susie I got completely by fluke. If I like a Nirvana and I can afford her, I buy her, but I'm not bothered about buying Nirvana in sets or trying to complete any specific type of Nirvana.

So now I'm picky, but I still have the mainstream completionist gene as well.

I'm sorry too that you miss the ponies you sold, but I suppose, with your current way of looking at things, maybe it's kinda fun to have a clean slate to begin your collection from? You might end up loving it more for that decision. I made a choice like this with my Jem dolls a while back. I used to have a nearly complete set of the 1980s dolls and fashions, but they were not quite right. I went through the process of getting rid of every character and outfit I didn't like, and reorganised my cabinet for display. Now I am happy with that collection. I don't need any more items and I don't miss the ones I lost. Ultimately I love my Jem dolls more for not being completionist. So yeah, it works both ways and it might work in your favour in the long run.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 07:57:50 AM »
Ahhhhh well it's a good thing that most of the ponies were manufactured in millions of units!  :) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

HopelessMagic

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 08:37:05 AM »
I had sold all my vintage toys and I really miss them all. Now I'm going to yard sales and hoping to find a few items. I was going to buy them outright from other collectors but the prices have skyrocketed since I last bought and sold ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal