collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why is ice crystal rare? I wanna see yours!  (Read 1339 times)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
Why is ice crystal rare? I wanna see yours!
« on: April 18, 2016, 09:15:31 AM »
I thought I'd ask what makes him rare?
Is it that he is popular?
Or not enugh supply to meet demand?

And how much dose he go for?

Also can i see yours?
:accomplished:

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why is ice crystal rare? I wanna see yours!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »
He's not particularly rare just his colours make him popular with collectors.visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The set is popular USA got releases we didn't too doesn't mean they are that rare... Over they years I found 4 ice crystals in the wild!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:41:07 PM by Nappercasper »

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 12:28:14 PM »
His set is rarer because it was not sold in the US and therefor not produced in the same quantities. Amongst his set he is not more rare than the others, his color just makes him more popular and his price tends to go higher.

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 12:31:07 PM »
http://littlekunai.deviantart.com/art/Pretty-Pretty-Presents-578766426

I don't own the real Ice Crystal, but I commissioned a bee-yoo-ti-ful custom from MarbleDragon. Didn't she do great ? Check out Baby Icey too.  I'd love to commission her for another Mountain Boy someday, perhaps Sunburst or Thundercloud.

Post Merge: April 18, 2016, 12:31:38 PM

He's not particularly rare just his colours make him popular with collectors.visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I love your set!!!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 01:40:01 PM »
He's so beautiful :heart: Here's mine (+ custom baby by PKW):

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »
He's so beautiful :heart: Here's mine (+ custom baby by PKW):

What a beautiful family Carrehz! :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 02:02:21 PM »

Mine :)

Mountain Boys were only produced for the UK and the scandinavian market. They were never sold even in Continental Europe. I am unsure of the dates of the release in Scandinavia, but I know that here in the UK they had an extremely brief innings before they were replaced by the Adventure Boy Ponies, what US collectors know as Big Brothers. We therefore had Mountain Boy Ponies from about the Autumn of 1987 (I know this, because my mother bought my Sunburst for me in October, to give me as a present when my sister was born in the November, as a gift from the baby) until probably the spring or maybe early summer of 1988. I had my last MB in probably February or March time, but I never saw them in stores after that.

So limited area of sale, limited time of sale in comparison to the globally available Adventure Boy/Big Brother Ponies is one factor.

Ice Crystal is not rarer than the other MB ponies, but green ponies attract attention, so he's become kinda more popular. So popularity helps as well. When G1 was numerous at carboot sales and second hand sales in the 1990s and early 2000s, Ice Crystal was for me one of the more common Mountain Boy Ponies to find. Tornado and Lightning were the hardest to find. Thundercloud was the most common where I lived, Ice Crystal was possibly the second, along with Fireball. This seemed to vary, though, across regions. In some areas Tornado was more common for people to find and Ice Crystal more rare. So I think distribution was uneven, which may have added to it. Back when I was carbooting I probably picked up 10 or 20 Ice Crystals over a span of a few years...and saw more before that other than mine which I didn't buy because then I wasn't trading. In comparion, I saw maybe 2 Tornados ever in the same time. One belongs to my sister, the other is mine, and that's it. Never had one to trade at all.

So to me the overall rarity of the set is the limited distribution, but Ice Crystal's popularity is the misnomer that green ponies are rarer plus the general obsession people have with green ponies.

It may also have something to do with the fact that, in the comics at least, he was practically the only one who was remotely sane...;)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

mskittylovesrobin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 02:09:57 PM »
Awww I sold him years back but I loved his colour scheme that's why I had him. I bought mine from Toys R Us in Malaysia back in the day :) X

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
Awww I sold him years back but I loved his colour scheme that's why I had him. I bought mine from Toys R Us in Malaysia back in the day :) X

Years back I had a friend in Singapore who would madly hunt around for Mountain Boys because they heard a rumour that they'd made it over to that part of the world. I guess, if you got one in Malaysia, that rumour was true xD. I should add that to the list of places they were sold then XD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

mskittylovesrobin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 02:41:19 PM »

Years back I had a friend in Singapore who would madly hunt around for Mountain Boys because they heard a rumour that they'd made it over to that part of the world. I guess, if you got one in Malaysia, that rumour was true xD. I should add that to the list of places they were sold then XD.

Hello Hun yes they definitely did. I grew up in Malaysia and Singapore while visiting the Uk once a year so can definitely confirm they had all the mountain boys. I had Tex, Slugger, Fireball (if I remember correctly lol) and ofcourse Ice Crystal :D glad I could help with that itty bitty info xx

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 02:43:23 PM »

Mine :)

Mountain Boys were only produced for the UK and the scandinavian market. They were never sold even in Continental Europe. I am unsure of the dates of the release in Scandinavia, but I know that here in the UK they had an extremely brief innings before they were replaced by the Adventure Boy Ponies, what US collectors know as Big Brothers. We therefore had Mountain Boy Ponies from about the Autumn of 1987 (I know this, because my mother bought my Sunburst for me in October, to give me as a present when my sister was born in the November, as a gift from the baby) until probably the spring or maybe early summer of 1988. I had my last MB in probably February or March time, but I never saw them in stores after that.

So limited area of sale, limited time of sale in comparison to the globally available Adventure Boy/Big Brother Ponies is one factor.

Ice Crystal is not rarer than the other MB ponies, but green ponies attract attention, so he's become kinda more popular. So popularity helps as well. When G1 was numerous at carboot sales and second hand sales in the 1990s and early 2000s, Ice Crystal was for me one of the more common Mountain Boy Ponies to find. Tornado and Lightning were the hardest to find. Thundercloud was the most common where I lived, Ice Crystal was possibly the second, along with Fireball. This seemed to vary, though, across regions. In some areas Tornado was more common for people to find and Ice Crystal more rare. So I think distribution was uneven, which may have added to it. Back when I was carbooting I probably picked up 10 or 20 Ice Crystals over a span of a few years...and saw more before that other than mine which I didn't buy because then I wasn't trading. In comparion, I saw maybe 2 Tornados ever in the same time. One belongs to my sister, the other is mine, and that's it. Never had one to trade at all.

So to me the overall rarity of the set is the limited distribution, but Ice Crystal's popularity is the misnomer that green ponies are rarer plus the general obsession people have with green ponies.

It may also have something to do with the fact that, in the comics at least, he was practically the only one who was remotely sane...;)

Thanks for that perspective. What a shame they were cut so short. Such an attractive set.

Sane you say? Do tell!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 02:52:04 PM »

Sane you say? Do tell!

I need to find the Flapdoodle link again, don't I...let me go hunt it up...

http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=372115.0

Here it is xD

There are quite a few stories with the MBs and over the course of them you realise that they are all a mite eccentric, except Ice Crystal, who seems the most down-to-earth of the bunch.
Lightning has an on off flirting thing going on with Confetti. He also winks in and out and makes random flashing lights.
Sunburst never stops smiling.
Tornado butts into everything and is basically a nusiance
Thundercloud would never go out if he didn't have to
Fireball is super impatient and calls things Flapdoodles

And Ice Crystal puts up with it all with a very good humour :)

Their introduction to the comic can be found in part 2 of a comic story, which also, to me, creates the  impression really well..:
Part 1
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/mlpmedia/magicinmistymountain1b.zip
Part 2
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/mlpmedia/magicinmistymountain2.zip
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:00:32 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »
Here's a few pics of mine. I won him in a  contest at the Trading Post.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 03:31:25 PM »
Ooh thank you for the links!

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »

Hello Hun yes they definitely did. I grew up in Malaysia and Singapore while visiting the Uk once a year so can definitely confirm they had all the mountain boys. I had Tex, Slugger, Fireball (if I remember correctly lol) and ofcourse Ice Crystal :D glad I could help with that itty bitty info xx

I grew up in M'sia too!  :) but sadly I never saw any mountain boys.  :( I did get a couple of big brothers from a trip to Thailand.  ;) I bet you were in KL though there was a massive TRU there I went to a couple of times and they had so many ponies. I wanted to buy everything!  :lol:

So when I did see the mountain boys they became instant grails, and like others Icey's unusual colour attracted me especially. I am lucky to have him now. :)

**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal