collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lipstick on G3's?!  (Read 630 times)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
Lipstick on G3's?!
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:26:51 PM »
I've been restoring ponies for my own collection and resale for a while now, and have come across Lippy on many occasions. I've found that it can usually be taken care of with repeated applications of acetone, and sunfading around symbols. However this morning,  I pulled out some ponies I was cleaning, with various marks, including lippy, and when I got to the acetone round, I cleaned paint smudges and lippy off of them. However when I got to G3 Minty (who came up beautifully except for the horrid red lipstick on her front legs) it wouldn't budge. It seems to have absorbed it completely, like dye! I know it's lippy, because I got it off of several G1's with no dramas, in exactly the same shade, and it came off in two applications at the most.

It hasn't even faded, like staining, it's full-colour and inside the plastic! Obviously I'll try sunfading, but has anyone come across this before in G3's? If she wasn't so lovely otherwise I'd probably make some kind of horror custom with her, but she's sooo freaking nice otherwise, with such pink hair! I just wanted to fix that one thing!

:yikes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline starryeyed

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • seapony in the clouds
    • View Profile
Re: Lipstick on G3's?!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:01:36 AM »
have you tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? it's really amazing at removing stains! but other than that i think sunfading might be your best bet :Y

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:54:17 PM »
If the dye has set into the plastic, Magic Erasers aren't going to budge it.  They're just really fine sandpaper, sunfading is probably the only hope.  At least red is the color that fades the easiest.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 04:41:58 PM »
Okay, she's out and sunfading, but I thought I'd post a photo just so everyone can see the horror. It's not even slightly faded. Here she is next to Twinkle Dancer's leg where it came off in 2 applications of acetone. Nothing left on her! But on Minty, it hasn't even budged the tiniest bit.

Excuse TD's regrind, that's not going anywhere!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 06:04:31 PM »
have you tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? it's really amazing at removing stains! but other than that i think sunfading might be your best bet :Y

I'm sorry but suggesting that is not going to help- the dye of the lipstick has seeped into the plastic and a magic eraser only works on the surface of a pony.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 06:38:25 PM »
and I just found it on Mistletoe... But I'm not nearly as disappointed, her red hair covers it nicely, though I might sunfade if it works well on Minty. I'm just praying her pink hair survives the heat of sunfading, I know G3 pink can fade from the most ridiculous things. My G3 Cotton Candy was in a drawer that wasn't opened (in storage) for 5 years and still faded a bit. A DRAWER!

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 08:48:28 PM »
Okay, she's out and sunfading, but I thought I'd post a photo just so everyone can see the horror. It's not even slightly faded. Here she is next to Twinkle Dancer's leg where it came off in 2 applications of acetone. Nothing left on her! But on Minty, it hasn't even budged the tiniest bit.

How weird is that?!  I don't own any G3s but I know the ballerinas have unusually hard plastic, maybe it didn't absorb the same way.  I hope sunfading works!!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 12:54:52 AM »

How weird is that?!  I don't own any G3s but I know the ballerinas have unusually hard plastic, maybe it didn't absorb the same way.  I hope sunfading works!!

Funnily enough, she took two applications, another g1 (Locket) took just one to get it off, so she was harder, which is why I posted her (and Locket has original curl and was drying precariously posed as not to ruin her hair) in the first place. Odd, odd, odd. I just figured that Twinkle had plasticizer leak and was harder because of that - the regrind made me think that way I guess, but it's good to know that they are meant to be that way. She's my first of the set!

Offline starryeyed

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • seapony in the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »
don't forget to cover up Minty's hair and symbols when you sunfade her! you wouldn't want them to also fade :0

Since Minty is a dark color, this tutorial might help: http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=288994.0

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 03:14:25 PM »
Thanks! I've got her wrapped up in black fabric, inside a mailer (the kind with the black lining so you can't see through) with her front legs exposed. I'll move her wrappings around every week or so to prevent lines, and keep an eye on her, as the last pony I sunfaded went mysteriously missing (well her body did, anyway.. I'm guessing she was stolen for some bizarre reason) mid morning one day while I was inside the house. So she's taped down to the window she's resting on!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »
Unfortunatey I agree the only option you really have left is sun fading.

Lipsticks do have dyes in them of course so all it takes is a particularly porous plastic, some heat and they can stain right into the plastic :( Lipstick is normally worse than even nail varish due to the pigments used.

I hope that sunlight works out for you :) I am sure she will look lovely soon.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal