collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you catalog your ponies?  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
How do you catalog your ponies?
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:12:23 PM »
My insurance agent wanted an itemized list. I wrote a list of all the ponies known to exist (that I could find) and left some room to add to the g4s and nirvanas. Then I wrote (in pencil) the prices that they all seem to be trending at in good to great condition. Finally I checked off each one that I have. I marked how many of each for my armies. Now I have an excellent reference for which ponies I'll need to complete the collection someday. (That's the dream, right?) Since I went alphabetically it's not a good reference for my set completers. Those are usually what I look for before I zero in on another set. Should I make an additional list by sets? Is there anywhere to find a list like that for nirvana ponies? How do you keep track of your collection. I'm especially interested in those who have collections in the thousands. I can remember g1 and g4 names without trying since I watched the shows. I cannot remember all the g2 and g3 names. Some, but nowhere near all. Do you label your shelves? Does anyone else need name help? Some of mine have developed unique names since their real ones wouldn't stick. Am I the only one strange enough to bestow alternative names? Just curious.  >_<

Offline marblecheshire

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do you catalog your ponies?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 03:49:51 AM »
You could make a spreadsheet with columns that help to group your collection better. Makes searching easier as well.

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 04:22:53 AM »
I have mine on a spreadsheet, with separate tabs for each generation, and an additional tab for "non North American" G1s (so nirvanas and euro exclusives). In each tab I have the ponies listed by the year they came out. I also have my wanted ponies included in each tab, but written in another colour to differentiate them from who I have. Each tab has a column for pony name, set, accessories, condition, and year.

It took me about three false starts to get the sheet to a point where it worked for me.

Elf

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 07:35:40 AM »
I have started a database but then my Phd got in the way. Our insurance company said to have photos of the rare items and comparisons to the normal versions, which I have, but I'd like a more coherent record than my brain.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 08:56:20 AM »
Definitely good suggestions. I have comparison pictures. None of mine are really rare. All I have as a computer is my tablet. I hate to sound dumb, but I've never made a spreadsheet.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »
Don't feel bad. many people have never made a spreadsheet. I have a binder with details on each hand written (origins or the story behind, any cleaning or restore work done etc) and a spreadsheet on my comp I inputted a formula in so if I change a price- it updates in the grand total. I also highlight any in there I am missing, or in poor condition to flag them for upgrades. I also made a basic checklist of ponies and accessories I can have with me and check off things as I go.

Besides cataloging for insurance, keeping track of restoration (either you did, or former owner) is really really important to maintain value. In other hobbies undisclosed restores being sold can put a persons entire collection into question. :(

Other gens... haha, fat chance. haven't done anything. my level of interest just isn't the same as G1

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 07:54:54 PM »
I made this spreadsheet for the US G1 releases with the occasional Euro pony thrown in (and denoted as "EU") if they were ones I wanted to collect. Sorted by year and type of pony. The highlighted green ones are the ones I have, so I can easily see what I need to complete sets or years. I'm not 100% sure it's a complete list of all US releases - if anyone notices any missing, please let me know!

If anyone wants to download the spreadsheet and use for your own collection, feel free!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1f3Yhg0KqL7c2h4ZWNPZ1Zlc0E

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 09:57:59 PM »
I have been soo confused with insurance people it was re-donk-ulous lol  :nerdy: I finally sat down and asked them "what do you want me to do?" State farm actually told me to do this...
use an excel spread sheet (If there is any variation of the same pony have no fear...) 

generation year Name Condition Price Picture 
G1 1986  Cloud Puff Poor $1.00 Pic
G1 1986  Cloud Puff (V2)  Good $3.00 Pic   
This is basically how it should look like...

Start off with the USA ponies first it may be easier... it was for me...
each is a section by year
USA G1s first in order
USA G1s Petite ponies
USA G1s Mail Order
USA G1s Playsets
Alphabetical order for Nirvana or international ponies
Britain G1s Ponies by year
Britain G1s Playsets by year
UK G1s Ponies by year
UK G1s playsets by year

and so on so forth with each generation...
with army ponies you should go by year on the spread sheet that way they can say "hey its a different pony" other than fluttershy after fluttershy 
GB Grab Bags and EG Equestria Girls go at the very bottom of the spread sheet

the best thing about a spread sheet is you can add columns or rows for when you by a new pony...
to reference ponies in order by year I suggest using these sites....

http://mlpland.com/?l=2&p=pony  all gens
http://www.strawberryreef.com/   all gens mostly new
http://data.mlpmerch.com/          new gens + EG and Grab Bags
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Nirvana_Ponies   Nirvana and gens
To make a grand total at the end of the spread sheet...
=sum(highlight cells you Need in parentheses)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:33:43 PM by Starflashbaby »

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline cassstorm

• Cheeky Monkey Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+442)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 07:02:23 AM »
I made a spreadsheet  for mine as well, although I haven't added pictures yet  :)

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 08:32:43 AM »
I just have a word file. I should probably be better about documenting condition, etc., for insurance purposes.
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 01:03:43 PM »
I have mine on a spreadsheet, with separate tabs for each generation, and an additional tab for "non North American" G1s (so nirvanas and euro exclusives). In each tab I have the ponies listed by the year they came out.
This is basically how I do it, as well. I have a column with the pony's name, a column with the year, a column to describe condition, and a column for additional comments. If I have more than one of a pony, I just put it on the spreadsheet more than once. This way I can re-order the list as needed, either by name or by year, etc. I ALSO have the check books in which the ponies are organized by set, so I can check off which ones I have there (and check off the accessories). Unfortunately these books don't include Nirvanas or even UK ponies, though there is a Nirvana book out there that I don't have yet...

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 03:33:28 PM »
I have mine on a spreadsheet, with separate tabs for each generation, and an additional tab for "non North American" G1s (so nirvanas and euro exclusives). In each tab I have the ponies listed by the year they came out.
This is basically how I do it, as well. I have a column with the pony's name, a column with the year, a column to describe condition, and a column for additional comments. If I have more than one of a pony, I just put it on the spreadsheet more than once. This way I can re-order the list as needed, either by name or by year, etc. I ALSO have the check books in which the ponies are organized by set, so I can check off which ones I have there (and check off the accessories). Unfortunately these books don't include Nirvanas or even UK ponies, though there is a Nirvana book out there that I don't have yet...

I had no idea that checkbook existed. Guess I know what my next Amazon order will be!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 05:45:23 PM »
I have a spreadsheet which is a massive checklist of all gens in alphabetical order, divided by gen and type, and then photos saved as gen_name_condition_value. To say I'm a bit behind is the understatement of the century, though. I lost the photos on a hard drive that died on me after I took them off the camera, before backing them up. Won't happen again though, everything is mirrored to another drive now! So once I retake all the pics (after I sort all the stuff from my mum's house that now is on top of all my pony rubbermaids), and update the G4 tab, (urgh, so many blind bags!) then I'll be all set...

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 09:12:05 PM »
It looks like I need to upgrade my computer to catalog them properly.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »
Not necessarily, Tak. I'm considering doing up some detailed binders, too - I like having things in hard copy, and spreadsheets are way too hard to do that with! I'm thinking a binder per gen, with an index in front, and then going by year and set:

Index
   - Year 1 (list sets)
        - Set - Flat Foot Ponies (List Ponies, like a checklist)
                     -Blossom (Photo, condition details, valuation, date added, cost price and any other details you want recorded.)
                     -Blue Belle (etc, etc.)

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal