collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cute or Silly Idea?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Cute or Silly Idea?
« on: April 01, 2016, 11:32:34 AM »
So I have started to consider making a custom, and while I know this is not the customs forum, this is the forum for anything pony related, and I am looking for expert opinions on if this idea is a good one, or if it is lame~

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Anyways,

My boyfriend and I have been dating (nearly)3 years. He's been my best friend for 4, and he helped me out of a very dark time back when we had been just friends. He means the world to me, and so I want to do something cool and crafty as a thank you for all the fun times we have had together. Because of this, I have decided I want to make something blending things we both like, and so I have decided to make him a custom MLP as a part of his anniversary gift (Red Sox tickets being the other half)

He has never been big on ponies, and when he first found out I liked them I thought his eyes would roll out of his head and into oblivion. However, he is a MAJOR sports nut, loving baseball, football, you name it. But there is nothing on this Earth he covets more than the New England Patriots. Specifically their quarterback, Tom Brady.
As of late he has become a lot more accepting of my love of ponies, as I have shown interest in the Pats (even though I never know what's going on). As a result he has done the same for my love of MLP! He's even learned some names of the characters!

He bought me a SS Buttons recently, and its the first time he has ever bought me a pony. I was genuinely shocked. A year ago I can actually recall him saying the two things he'd never buy me would be coffee (too late I'm already addicted) and any pony. As of this week, both vows have been broken ~

Our dati-versary is April 4th, and so I have decided to make a "Pats" pony out of a Big Brother bait (should I find one). I've never done a custom before, although I have rehaired several MLPS, as well as cleaned many up from terrible condition. I think the biggest thing would be the symbols, as the Flying Elvis might be hard to paint...

What do you guys think? Cute idea? Weird idea? Other ideas? I need opinions!

My original plan was to buy a MOC (or close to it) BB Quarterback and sew it a little Pats jersey, but this seems more fun!

I think he will love it even if it's a pony, I've painted and drawn for him before and he loves everything I make so this will be the one pony he will ever truly label as his own ^^

My Tumblr

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cute or Silly Idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 12:39:35 PM »
I think it's a cute idea! I'm sure he'll love it! Especially since you're making it yourself and not commissioning someone to make it. Don't forget to share pics when you're done!

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:52:24 PM »
I think it's a really cute idea! Combining both of your interests into a gift. I'd love to see pictures when you finish!

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 05:38:24 AM »
Thank you for the responses!
I will definitely post pics once I have finished it~
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:24:46 AM by Chelsea7 »
My Tumblr

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »
That's a super cute idea for a gift!  As a suggestion to help you with your painting- the patriot symbol is a slightly curved triangle.  Use blue frog tape to outline your work space on the pony when you get him.  Once you have your triangle, you can use a tiny couple of corners of tape to shape the outline of the nose and another to make a tiny "M" to protect the mouth.  Once the tape is down, paint a solid white base.  After that, it will be easier to paint your colored areas on top of the white.  You might try asking in the customizers forum about the best sealing material to protect it.  :-)  You might even try picking up white Sculpy and shaping a helmet and football- use tinfoil to support the shell when you bake it, then paint it (just on the outside) too.

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 11:28:42 AM »
Why would that be a silly idea? I think it's super adorable.

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 07:24:29 AM »
That's a super cute idea for a gift!  As a suggestion to help you with your painting- the patriot symbol is a slightly curved triangle.  Use blue frog tape to outline your work space on the pony when you get him.  Once you have your triangle, you can use a tiny couple of corners of tape to shape the outline of the nose and another to make a tiny "M" to protect the mouth.  Once the tape is down, paint a solid white base.  After that, it will be easier to paint your colored areas on top of the white.  You might try asking in the customizers forum about the best sealing material to protect it.  :-)  You might even try picking up white Sculpy and shaping a helmet and football- use tinfoil to support the shell when you bake it, then paint it (just on the outside) too.

This is a great idea, and I am certainly going to try it! Frog tape is the best, I never really thought of using it for small scale painting!

Why would that be a silly idea? I think it's super adorable.

Thank you ^^
I guess cheese is the word I am going for more than silly~
My Tumblr

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal