collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any writers here on the Arena? For srs or just for fun? :)  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Any writers here on the Arena? For srs or just for fun? :)
« on: March 30, 2016, 07:44:15 AM »
 :blush: I'm a little shy about tooting my own horn, but a couple people here on the Arena have asked me about my writing, so I thought I would start a thread.  :satisfied:

Do we have any other passionate writers here on the Arena? Please feel free to talk about your writing in this thread! Whether you write professionally or you just love fanfics, I would love to meet fellow writers!

As for me, writing has been my passion since 3rd grade. I remember a very serious discussion with the teacher where I got in trouble because I was 'reading too much' (instead of doing my school work lol) and I was so offended that I got in trouble for reading! I told myself right there and then that someday I was going to be a writer, and I would write stories for little girls who get in trouble for 'reading too much.'

Now I look back and laugh at the righteous indignation of an eight year old girl.   :lol:

As of right now I have a handful of short stories published in a local anthology series called Scribings.

Vol. 3:
http://www.amazon.com/Scribings-Metamorphosis-Jamie-Alan-Belanger-ebook/dp/B00DGS8M1W/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1459347730&sr=1-11

Vol. 4:
http://www.amazon.com/Scribings-Vol-Miscreations-Timothy-Lynch-ebook/dp/B00LNLGTSM/ref=la_B005SQ7DCY_1_6_twi_kin_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1459348574&sr=1-6

Vol. 5:
http://www.amazon.com/Scribings-Vol-Inversions-D-L-Harvey-ebook/dp/B012E0BU1Q/ref=la_B005SQ7DCY_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1459348574&sr=1-5

And here's a free ebook promoting the anthology series with one short story from each contributing author. Please download the free ebook if you're curious! It helps the sales of the other titles of the company if we get a lot of downloads :)
http://www.lostluggagestudios.com/books/EssentialGPS.php

Short stories are fun, but my real passion is writing for children. I'm working on several children's novels right now and my hope is to start shopping them around to publishing houses this year. :)

(I also worked in a publishing house for 3 years after I graduated college, so if anyone has any questions about how publishing works, I'd be happy to answer :) )

So what about you guys? I'm eager to meet new writers and start a discussion!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Firecracker

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Any writers here on the Arena? For srs or just for fun? :)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 08:06:54 AM »
I myself have been attempting to write recently because I'm trying to make comics, so more out of necessity than anything else.  I can't stand it when comics/ graphic novels are poorly written, especially when the artwork is beautiful!
My writing skills, however, are pretty terrible  :blush:  That said, my girlfriend is a fantastic editor and writer, so even my writing can shine once she has gotten her hands on it  :biggrin:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 08:48:12 AM »
No, but I should really find the time.  I wanted to write down things about my OC world.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 08:58:51 AM »
Does it count if I haven't written any of my story yet?  :lol:

I was also an avid reader growing up but now I mainly read comics and graphic novels (it's difficult for just white and black to keep my attention these days). I used to roleplay a lot online and that led me to actually try and write a book when I was around 12. Well two books but one got much further than the other. They were kept in binders and the pages were printed and my friends at school would read them. I think my big one hit about 21 chapters before I stopped and it wasn't even half done.
Anyway, they were of course awful because I was 12 and the ideas were really silly so it was never going to make it. I burned them last year with a bunch of other stuff. I may revisit and revise the ideas again one day.

English is one of my best subjects now, I plan to major in it eventually. That'll help me out with a lot of the technical things.

I do plan on writing a trilogy of books hopefully before I'm thirty  :lol: It'll be a main book, a sequel that concludes it, and a prequel that goes more in depth to what happened before the main book. They focus on my namesake, a girl named Bekuno (no she's not actually a pony or anything  :P) and how shes forced to save the world from destruction by this massive creature that she tried to kill in her past life and the story takes place half in Texas and half in Germany in the year 2026. They'll be young adult novels.
It's still all being planned out and a lot has to be done. A big part of the story is Bekuno's past life in the other dimension that is being built from the ground up and I am still working on how to explain things in a realistic way and piece things together and fill in plot holes and such concerning it. Another issue is that half the story takes place in Germany and all but two characters (Bekuno and a mysterious creature) are German. But I've never lived in Germany and have no idea how to write those parts of the book appropriately so no one is offended or confused and that I'm able to represent the country accurately. I'd love to go to Germany myself to do this but I don't know if I'll ever be able to so I'd have to make some German friends to help me out  :lol:

So yeah.. one day. It's a huge goal in my life to write those books.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 09:54:21 AM »
I used to write all the time in high school and college - I even focused on creative writing for my English Lit degree.  I managed to get a couple short novel-length fanfics under my belt, haha, as well as dozens of original short stories for classes.  However, after I left college I just sort of...stopped.  I have been struggling to get back to it ever since.

I have been doing more again in the last year, again fanfiction, but hey, as long as I'm writing, yeah?  Someday I would love to actually write an original novel, but I seem to really enjoy things like characters and dialogue and be really bad at things like...plot.  Which you kind of need for a book, haha. 

:D

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
I write.  It's mostly Fanfics at the moment but I've converted one into a novel that I need to do a little more revising on because there are a few bits about it that just aren't quite there yet.  But I use the same username on Fanfiction.net and Fictionpress.com as here (FictionPress has the current novel version of my story, while the original fanfic can be found on FanFiction) 

I do have a couple of other novels in the works, 2 Young Adult and 2 Children's at last check plus a couple of other drabbles that might evolve eventually.

I didn't really start writing things down until a couple of years ago but I always knew I wanted to write.  I read voraciously as a child.  When I took a children's lit class in college my professor said that no child ever reads the unabridged Alice in Wonderland and she was quite surprised to find that I'd read it for the first time in third grade.  I also read the Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia before the "appropriate" age.

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 11:59:42 AM »
Something I would love to do and get detailed ideas from time to time.

But I have no time to dedicate to anything like that so it never goes any were.

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 12:14:56 PM »
I'm loving this thread!!

I've been roleplaying (one of those nerdy, "Advanced" rpers that I took so seriously in the past), a lot of horses (duh), vampires, werewolves, wolves, mundane humans, etc. Currently, I rp lightly in the Elder Scrolls Online world, mainly my sly courtesan khajiit (cat person), La'Atrena.
 Here's her picture:
Spoiler

I've really wanted to start working on a couple ideas I've had, and actually try to get them published. One of them is a book of short stories, all featuring strong female leads, in different fantasy situations. Probably young adult.

I also wanted to work on a childrens book, because I have a friend who is a brilliant artist and he'd be happy to illustrate it for me.

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 12:30:11 PM »
Fanfic writer here, at least for now.

So far I've written a handful of MLP stories, one I put out of its misery because it was just too bad, a couple smaller ones, and 'Bejeweled', my only complete story so far. Other than that, I have 'Equilibrium' and 'A town for two' in the chamber, both of them on hiatus until I'm finishing the multiverse of Friendship Fables.. which is already done, so I'm goingto get back to those soon enough.

Other, non-pony works of mine are 'The Sector' and 'Dragophobia', none of them really made it into production so far. 'The Sector' was scrapped entirely and remade after I realized that violence, war, and dark, depressing themes are just not my strong suit. As for 'Dragophobia', well, it  turns out it's quite tricky writing street racing in paper form and make it effective (and I'm afraid of using real car names, for obvious reasons).

Offline Starfrey

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »
Yes, although I wrote more when I was younger. These days it's super dependent on my depression and energy levels, unfortunately.
:cold:

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 02:57:02 PM »
I write! I have many, many drafts I've started, but very few stories that are finished. I think currently I'm writing one that will someday see the light of day, as a friend asked me to. It's not exactly a story, more a script, but I find those just as enjoyable, and more challenging, so a lot of fun!

I'd love to get a book published someday, probably youth LGBT+ stories, because there don't seem to be many teen books with non-straight leads. Good ones, at least.

I used to write fanfic, but it was pretty bad { I was 12} so I stopped pretty quickly. I still have quite a few old drafts I can't quite bear to delete, and some fanfics still floating about online. I guess with fanfiction I find it hard to find room to move, because the characters aren't mine. I can't change things about them without it not fitting their personality!

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 04:09:51 PM »
I started a story game on here where each person posting wrote part of the story and I liked the story so much that I keep working on it just for fun even though the thread is no longer active.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
*waves*. Lovely to see so many writers here!  :)

I write and have been practically forever.  The first story I remember attempting was in first grade; it was something about Barbie's wedding.  :P. The first story I recall completing was in third grade.

I mainly write fanfic across fandoms.  I am working on an MLP g1/G4 story at the moment, among many other things (Once Upon a Time and GH, currently.). I also dabble in romantic fiction and poetry.  I'd like to be published but I need to finish something that isn't fanfic (I'm pretty prolific in fanfic.). :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 05:19:04 PM »
I write but rarely finish anything. I teach English, so reading others writing seems to take up most of my time.  -_-
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline QueenNatalie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • /insert edgy song lyric here/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »
Meeee!!! :D I'm currently in college majoring in creative writing. :) It's my dream to be able to do something I love for a living, and I can't wait until my finals are over so I can actually work on my stories!!! Haha.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal