collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Simple international shipping questions - but want to make sure...  (Read 1433 times)

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Ok, I neeeeever ship internationally.  It's just a personal thing, and it makes me nervous completing customs forms and worrying about packages getting places, etc.   :yikes:

I am, however, trying to ship something to Canada.  It's about 6 oz.  When I use the USPS shipping calculator (shipping from 62234), I'm getting a shipping estimate of $9.50 for first class international.  I'm guessing that would be right...

I do not buy stamps online (I just pay for exact shipping costs at the post office); however, I noticed I could fill out a customs form online.  I had a few questions (they are pretty simple but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right):

I used Form 2976...
A)  Contents:  Would "merchandise" be the correct category since it's a pony someone bought?
B) Contents description:  Would "plastic toy pony" be a sufficient description?
C)  AES Exemption:  I tried to read the descriptions of the options, so I'm guessing it's "NOEEI 30.37(a)
Value of each class of goods is $2,500 or less, when an export license is not required." --- since it's only worth $15??

Would I just print the form that has a bar code on it once I finish completing the online customs form (even if I'm not paying for shipping online)?  Do I then just bring that paper to the Post Office with the package and then they will help me with the rest?

OR do you think it'd just be easier for me to go to the Post Office and say, "I am trying to mail this item to Canada," and then hopefully they'd just give me the forms to fill out by hand?  haha

Thank you so much!!

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Simple international shipping questions - but want to make sure...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 10:01:46 PM »
I think it might be easier to just go to the post office, tell them where you want to ship, and have them hand you everything you need. I shipped a 24" X 24" canvas print from Canada to the US and the post office knew exactly what forms I needed to fill out and how to fill them out. If your post office is close, I'd just go there and ask :)

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 12:02:13 AM »
Even if you fill it out at the post office, you'll have to answer the same questions and they usually just hand you the forms and move on to the next customer while you fill them out; so, I'd go ahead and do it online to save time.  I'm pretty sure you just print out the form once you're finished and either hand it to them when you buy the postage or just go ahead and attach it to your box yourself.  (I buy my postage online now; so, I'm not sure if they prefer to have it already attached or not when it's just the form.)

You are using the right form for First Class.

A) "Merchandise" should be fine although I usually choose "Other" for second-hand items.  As long as you don't choose "Gift" for something you received payment for, I don't think they care that much which option you mark.

B) That description is plenty.  My descriptions tend to be along the lines of "used toy." 

C) That's the correct exemption.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 08:16:15 AM »
To be honest, I would just fill the form out at the PO.  I tried filling out / printing the online customs form once and it wouldn't scan for the PO clerk and he had to manually type everything into his computer anyway.  Also the online form can be very picky and unnecessarily complicated.

Here's the info to fill out on the paper form:

Check the "Merchandise" box at the top.

"Detailed Description of Contents" - More like vague description of contents.  "Plastic toy pony" is fine. :)

"Qty" (next to Detailed Description) - Put in the quantity.  Like, if you're sending three ponies you'd put 3.  (But in this case it sounds like you're sending one pony so it would be 1.)

You don't have to fill out weight.

"Value" - Value of the item.  Whatever the sale price was (not including shipping).

"Sender's Signature" - sign and date.

"From" - your name and address

"To" - buyer's name and address.

And that's it, you can ignore everything else on the form. :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:52:44 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 01:56:25 PM »
Thank you guys for all the help!  Shipping out of the country makes me anxious and I want everything to go as smoothly as possible lol

APPRECIATE IT!! :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 02:05:43 PM »
I kinda blinked at the exemptions. I've never seen anyone tick that on a form when I've had ponies, and I don't think our forms even have them. But in my experience the PO people like you better if you're prepared when you go to the desk. They'll pick up on something if it doesn't look right, I imagine.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

giggles

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 10:26:12 AM »
I don't know if you have already shipped, but, on the AES exemption, for Canada, it's NO EEI 30.36(a) as Canada doesn't require EEI filings for shipments over $2500.  Any other countries would be 30.37(a)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal