collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What I was told are age spots is blatant nicotine staining. What do I do now?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
I bought this pony off eBay and she arrived yesterday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331784871856?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When I asked for details, the seller said:
"Hi !
As to the Discoloring, I think the top of her hind end is a bit more dirty looking.
It maybe something that can be cleaned I'm not sure.
Otherwise she has no age spots of any kind."

However, when I opened the package, the pony was more discolored than she appears in pictures. It soon became clear to me that the staining is actually nicotine, because the areas that were not exposed, such as under the feet, and the seam where her peek-a-boo head moves are the correct color. If it were age related, I suspect the plastic would have degraded throughout as has been the case in my experience. She also reeks of smoke. I am an ex-smoker so I picked up on it right away. Like, the smell is on my fingers after handling her.

A quick wash with dish soap and water did nothing. Before I break out the big guns like Oxyclean, what are my options. Was this adequately described by the seller in the message above? Is it too late to do anything since I tried to wash her? I'm out a good bit of money here.  :yikes:

I will try to take some pictures in better lighting later, but I have to work another 12hr shift tonight so I should already be getting ready for bed.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 05:22:20 AM by Leopard_Print_Unicorn »
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
I don't think it was adequately described to you, especially if she smells badly of smoke and is stained more badly than mentioned or pictured. Since it was an eBay auction and if you haven't already left feedback, you might want to contact the seller again and tell them what you've told us and see what they are willing to do and if any of their solutions work for you. If they don't, then your best option would be to open a not-as-described case and return the pony so that you can buy a new one that is up to collection standards.

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
Thakns bluerose9778. I see that she doesn't accept returns, so I guess I'll go by eBay policy if she is unwilling to budge.

Here are some pictures. I'm awake because I'm mad.

I tried to take pictures in regular lighting. All I have is my iPhone camera. Her photos appear to be using some sort of flash:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The unexposed areas are almost pristine, leading me to believe that this was prolonged exposure to cigarette smoke:

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Yikes, she's really yellowed. According to eBay, even if a seller doesn't accept returns, they are required to accept a return if the item is not as described. So if your seller won't work with you, eBay has your back.

mskittylovesrobin

• Trade Count: (0)
Thakns bluerose9778. I see that she doesn't accept returns, so I guess I'll go by eBay policy if she is unwilling to budge.

Here are some pictures. I'm awake because I'm mad.

I tried to take pictures in regular lighting. All I have is my iPhone camera. Her photos appear to be using some sort of flash:

The unexposed areas are almost pristine, leading me to believe that this was prolonged exposure to cigarette smoke:

I would definitely ask the seller. I bought a pony recently and had the same issue where the lighting didn't show any obvious markings and the seller stated "good condition" that's it. And when she arrived there were markings all over. But it didn't cost me too much so I kept her but looking at how much you paid for this, I wouldn't blame you. Xxx

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
I would definitely ask the seller. I bought a pony recently and had the same issue where the lighting didn't show any obvious markings and the seller stated "good condition" that's it. And when she arrived there were markings all over. But it didn't cost me too much so I kept her but looking at how much you paid for this, I wouldn't blame you. Xxx

Yeah, I've had several experiences like that with relatively inexpensive, common ponies. My attitude in those cases has always been "You pay your money, you take your chances" when it comes to eBay. But I can't help to think that when you are dealing in high-dollar, rare ponies, the seller should know better.

mskittylovesrobin

• Trade Count: (0)

Yeah, I've had several experiences like that with relatively inexpensive, common ponies. My attitude in those cases has always been "You pay your money, you take your chances" when it comes to eBay. But I can't help to think that when you are dealing in high-dollar, rare ponies, the seller should know better.

Totally. I feel that sellers should try their best to describe everything. The picture in the listing is definitely a lot different than what you received. I really hope they will help you with a refund or work something out. X

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Wow, she's really yellowed.  The seller should definitely have mentioned that, and also the cigarette smell.  It doesn't matter if you can't see it, the odor is a flaw.

You can file a SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) and the seller will be forced to accept a return.  Just be aware that the seller can require you to send the pony back as part of the process.  In other words, a partial refund + keeping the pony is not guaranteed.  You can point out the flaws to the seller and hope she opts for a partial refund, if that's what you're interested in.

Personally I would send it back and save my money for a better condition pony, but that's just me.  I hate cigarette stink and it can be such a pain to get out.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
Wow, she's really yellowed.  The seller should definitely have mentioned that, and also the cigarette smell.  It doesn't matter if you can't see it, the odor is a flaw.

You can file a SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) and the seller will be forced to accept a return.  Just be aware that the seller can require you to send the pony back as part of the process.  In other words, a partial refund + keeping the pony is not guaranteed.  You can point out the flaws to the seller and hope she opts for a partial refund, if that's what you're interested in.

Personally I would send it back and save my money for a better condition pony, but that's just me.  I hate cigarette stink and it can be such a pain to get out.

I would rather do a return and refund than a partial refund anyway. I am pretty picky and I really don't see this pony in my collection. Should I contact the seller about a return first even though her policy states that she does not, or go ahead and open the Significantly Not As Described case? I've never had to do this on eBay before so I want to make sure I don't do anything to make myself look sketchy or unreasonable.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
I would contact the seller first as a courtesy.  Basically saying "This is not as described and I would like to return it for a full refund."  If she refuses, then you can file a SNAD anyway and eBay will make her refund and accept the return.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
I would contact the seller first as a courtesy.  Basically saying "This is not as described and I would like to return it for a full refund."  If she refuses, then you can file a SNAD anyway and eBay will make her refund and accept the return.

I would do this as well. EBay encourages you to try to work it out with the seller first and to open a case as a last resort.

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
I agree that the discolouration wasn't described properly enough, and you should contact the seller. However, I want to play devil's advocate here regarding the smell. Maybe the seller did not notice the smell. I've stopped smoking years ago, but I was a very heavy smoker - we are talking three packs a day. I honestly thought no one would smell it, because I didn't smell it on me or my stuff myself. Today I know how horrible I must have smelled, and when I dig up old stuff, I sometimes catch a whiff of old smoke which I wouldn't do, was I still smoking.
I do not want to downplay the damage on the pony, it clearly is damaged; I just wanted to say that the seller legitly might not have been aware of it. You tend to turn a blind eye to the damage your smoking does as a smoker.
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
So the update is that she's going to accept the return. She told me that she has never done this before and is trying to figure out how to get the eBay return label, and she'll let me know. I assume it's a little more complicated because she is in Canada and I am in the US. I went ahead and opened the "return item" option in eBay, even though her store states that she does not accept returns, so that she can issue the label and we can both track the return. I want to play by the rules so that I am protected.

I agree that the discolouration wasn't described properly enough, and you should contact the seller. However, I want to play devil's advocate here regarding the smell. Maybe the seller did not notice the smell. I've stopped smoking years ago, but I was a very heavy smoker - we are talking three packs a day. I honestly thought no one would smell it, because I didn't smell it on me or my stuff myself. Today I know how horrible I must have smelled, and when I dig up old stuff, I sometimes catch a whiff of old smoke which I wouldn't do, was I still smoking.
I do not want to downplay the damage on the pony, it clearly is damaged; I just wanted to say that the seller legitly might not have been aware of it. You tend to turn a blind eye to the damage your smoking does as a smoker.

Shileah I know exactly what you mean. The seller told me that she was not a collector, but that she was selling her daughter's ponies from childhood. So that means someone in her household has done all that smoking. The nurse part of me hopes that maybe this incident will be a teeny, tiny wake-up call to whoever that is, about the damage that smoking can do. But I know from all the times it took me to finally quit that nicotine is a powerful addiction. In the meantime, I want to warn other pony collectors about this seller because if this was her daughter's collection, I assume many of the other ponies and toys she is selling are in a similar state.

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
Oh!  Keep us posted, I'd love to know how the return goes. I'm a seller in Canada, and I've never had to do a return through ebay, so I'd love to know how the printing of an international label works.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile

Shileah I know exactly what you mean. The seller told me that she was not a collector, but that she was selling her daughter's ponies from childhood. So that means someone in her household has done all that smoking. The nurse part of me hopes that maybe this incident will be a teeny, tiny wake-up call to whoever that is, about the damage that smoking can do. But I know from all the times it took me to finally quit that nicotine is a powerful addiction. In the meantime, I want to warn other pony collectors about this seller because if this was her daughter's collection, I assume many of the other ponies and toys she is selling are in a similar state.

At the very least I hope you advised her to mention that it's a smoking home in her listings. Some people might not mind the smoke but many do and buyers should be able to make informed decisions before purchase.

(I actually have my eyes on one of her items and it's a good price even if it is smokey so hearing that she is at least handling it well gives me hope.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:52:20 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal