collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Avatar: The Last Airbender / Legend of Korra  (Read 886 times)

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
Avatar: The Last Airbender / Legend of Korra
« on: March 23, 2016, 11:01:59 AM »
Any other fans of this amazing animated series? There were so many times watching it I couldn't believe it was on Nickelodeon; it was so depthful, the character development was unmatched, the story and world so different and immersive, and dealt with such hard topics. For those of you who have not seen it, I highly, highly recommend it (start with Last Airbender).

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

So, who's your favorite character, and whats your favorite element and why?

And lets not even talk about the shyamalan movie  -_-

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender / Legend of Korra
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 11:06:48 AM »
I watched bits and pieces of it when it first aired :)  I haven't seen korra, though I know a bit of the history.

I don't remember much of wind or earth (an episode here or there)..just water and fire.  So I cant really expand on anything :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 11:09:45 AM »
I like to pretend that the movie didn't exist.

I LOVE THIS SERIES! We just bought the Avatar: The Last Airbender DVD box set. Just waiting on a Korra one, now. :biggrin:

I always have trouble with "what's your favorite" questions. I tend to have to think about them for a while before I can answer honestly. Though I will say that for a while earth was my favorite element.

It's funny that this topic came up, though. I was just looking at getting this figure whenever it comes out. I love Korra's expression and pose so much.

But yeah, there were times with Legend of Korra when I was like "This is on Nickelodeon?" It was an amazing series though, I'm so glad I watched it.

Oh! The graphic novels for The Last Airbender are really good, if you haven't read them yet.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:13:51 AM by Rainbowrific Renia »
Instagram / Want List

Kanchii

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 11:15:50 AM »
I loved the religious aspect of the Air nomads and their way of life, so they've always been a favorite. One of my favorite hard topics in the original show was Aang, who was in essence a monk, trying to figure out what to do about the Fire Lord. All signs pointed that he would have to be killed, but to Aang, all life was precious and he didn't believe in murder. Pretty heavy stuff for a "kids show".

I also LOVED Zuko's struggle. Exiled prince of the Fire Lord, shamed and furious at himself and his father. Then, trying to fit in and hide his identity in the Earth Kingdom. I seriously don't think any character on any "kids show" could have had more development than Zuko. Him coming to grips with his past and finding himself is one of the most interesting parts of the show.

Post Merge: March 23, 2016, 11:17:28 AM

Oh, and how about AZULA. She literally goes insane and has a hard core mental break down by the end - something else I thought was really heavy. The last episode, her actions and mind frame were seriously bone chilling. I looooved Azula. She creeped me out.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:17:28 AM by Kanchii »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 11:18:42 AM »
I really like it!  I've been watching it on Amazon Prime  :biggrin:

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 11:32:03 AM »
I watched both series but I'll admit I didn't finish Korra. One of these days I'll get around to it, but all I cared about was that ending  :lol: They're both really wonderful shows, Korra did a great job living up the original series. I think Bolin is my favorite character  :)
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Yukiru

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 12:45:36 PM »
Edit: For some reason I read "favorite elements" as "favorite moments" XD so below you get my favorite show moments, but as for my favorite element, I'd like to be a water or earth bender because of all the specialized bending techniques for both, but I'd probably be an air bender just because of my personality X3

Love, love, looooove Avatar and Korra! I could go on forever about both  :biggrin: Though I honestly preferred Avatar over Korra, not necessarily because Avatar came first but because I liked how Avatar is more story/character development based where as Korra is more about action and interpersonal relationships.

In Avatar, hands down my favorite character is Iroh. He's such a strong, complex character, timeless character. I would love to see more of his background outside of minisode in book 3 and the comics.
A two of my favorite moments from this series are (below the spoiler cause it's long and cause spoilers :3):
Spoiler
When Katara spares the soldier that killed her mother, and Azula's decent into madness in the final episodes.

With Katara, it was great to finally see her get closure and to witness her realize how far she was willing to go to obtain that closure. I also like the juxtapositions of Katara and Zuko's characters in this episode and how very alike they are, but also how very different.

With Azula's decent into madness, everything was just so perfect. The writing was great, the animation was great, Grey DeLisle was great. Everything just clicked. As the audience, you just knew this was end of Azula but she was just so crazy and determined in the first place that you couldn't be exactly 100% sure this would be the last of her, and if you read the comics, it really isn't  ;)

In Korra, I'd have to say my favorite character is Tenzin. He's such a dad and I love it, especially since he reminds me of my own dear sweet Pops (looks and everything!). I love his interactions with his siblings and his own family. I also loved that we got to see a bit of what happened to Aang through Tenzin and his siblings. Zhu Li and Varrick come in at a close second, but more about them below:

Spoiler
Ok, so a few of my favorite moments from Korra are finding out about Wan and the history of the Avatar, the very last episode of the first book, and pretty much everything Varrick and Zhu Li.

The rich, continuing lore of the avatar and elements is was drew me to Avatar and Korra in the first place, so I was elated that we got to see so much of it in Korra.

The last episode of book one left my jaw on the floor. Noatak and Tarrlok are great characters in and of themselves and the ending between them is a great example of the harsh, absolute atmosphere that the Korra gives off, which is a main factor that helped me to stick with Korra during the moments of petty character relationship problems. 

Ok, so Varrick and Zhu Li are a dynamic duo to be sure and are fun characters to boot! Though out the series it's always something great and spectacular, goofy but genius! In the beginning of the series, we're not sure if Varrick is completely competent and if there's any more to him than eccentric diva, but by the end, we're able to see what he is really made of. Zhu Li is such a subtle, unassuming character compared to Varrick, but that makes her so pliable and full of potential. Seeing her break out of her shell and seeing more of her character explored in the later half of the series was a special treat for me since in Korra I honestly cared more for the side character than the main ones.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:28:07 PM by Yukiru »

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »
I would definitely be an Earth bender. No question. I loved the original series, but I've been dragging my feet about finishing Korra -- I just don't enjoy it as much. :/ Not sure why, either. I guess there just aren't as many characters that I really like.

Kanchii

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 02:29:25 PM »
I'd be an air nomad if I could pick. They were just so righteous and mysterious, plus, FLYING! <3

I definitely liked The Last Airbender more than Korra; I wasn't too interested in many of the characters in Korra, where as Airbender had waaaaay more "oomf" to me. More substance and plot and character development.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 07:19:02 AM »
Was never really my thing but I know it was insanely popular.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 12:44:42 PM »
I loooove Avatar!  Zuko was my favorite character, and of course Uncle Iroh.

I've tried to get into Korra, but it just isn't as interesting as Avatar to me.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Princess Lala

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 04:20:51 PM »
Oh dear, my ENTIRE family on both sides love this series. Its a classic we watched when we all lived together! Goooood goooood times.

I loved Azula, she was queen B spoilt rotten princess. I wish I was her but of course I would be much kinder. I LOVED her blue fire! Avatar Kyoshi. She was just soooooo much awesome! I have oind of a crush on Korra, she is so strong mastering all elements as a toddler and also pretty hot. Hmm I seem to like powerful women! xD

I think as far as what I would be if I was born into their world...what kind of bender I could be. I wish flower bending was a thing. I would attack my enemies with a cherry blossom petal storm if I could! I guess that is more of an air or earth bending thing!? I would so do that.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 10:56:50 PM »
I love ATLA, it was a breath of fresh air. I was less impressed with TLoK.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 08:47:55 PM »
I love love loved The Last Airbender. I was not as impressed with Korra. The ending felt like it was fan forced and I just couldn't stand that.

Aang is my favorite character. I love his spunk and wonder that he has for things going on. Zuko and Toph also tol the list for favorites too.  Each in there own way.

As for which element I would be. More then likely I would have been water maybe air.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »
I haven't seen Korra- but I have been MEANING to get to watching it- if only for the end.  I can't think of a single other mainstream cartoon in the USA (or the west) with a LGBT main character.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal