collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rehairing help!  (Read 399 times)

Elensule

• Trade Count: (0)
Rehairing help!
« on: March 17, 2016, 04:35:15 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm working on a custom for my little sister (only my second I've ever), and I've hit a snag. The holes on the scalp have closed up most of the way, and I can barely get anything in. It's a complete repaint, and I'm terrified to mess up the head. I don't have a rehair tool because the last pony I did I had no problems with the wire method, but this time I can't get the holes big enough to pass the wire through!

I was thinking maybe heating a safety pin up and trying to push it through? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
Re: Rehairing help!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »
A safety pin is good. If that doesn't make them big enough use a larger embroidery needle and keep pliers on hand to help with the grip. Hope that helps!
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Elensule

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 05:32:05 PM »
Awesome... Glad I'm on track. It's just such a solid plastic I'm nervous I'm going to crack it. Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 11:00:49 PM »
I use push pins, but a safety pin would probably work the same.  I don't heat them up.  I've found if you leave them in the hole for a bit (I generally wait between 10 and 30 seconds-but longer if I need to) the hole stays open longer before closing up again.  That might help.  And instead of wire, I've found that fishing line works really well.  Not sure which wire method you're using, but the way I do it is to open the hole with the push pin, thread a loop of fishing wire through the hole and then use that to pull the hair plug through the hole.  I like fishing line better because the wire seemed to break too often for my liking (plus you get a lot of fishing line on the spool for really cheap).  So you might try that if you can't get the holes big enough for your wire to fit through.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal