collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sunny's mom found G1s @ GW!!! I'm training her well! :D  (Read 1276 times)

Offline SunnyDazeAhead

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Sunny's mom found G1s @ GW!!! I'm training her well! :D
« on: March 15, 2016, 07:14:53 AM »
So my mom has accompanied me to three Pony Fairs so far and has been well versed on what a G1 looks like and what a fakie looks like etc. She's become very proud of herself for recognizing G1s in the 'wild' and always is super excited to show me what she's found for me. :lol:  I started re-collecting in 2006 so it's taken nearly 10 years or so to get her to the point where I've convinced her that it's perfectly normal for a woman in her 30s to be collecting vintage toys although she still has issue with my clawing obsession (but that's another story entirely!)

A few months ago she was hunting around the GW in my hometown (i've since moved an hour away so I don't get to look in that location much anymore) and she called me up on the phone all excited that she found FOUR G1s and two with 'hairy feet' as she described them. I got very hyped up because I knew 'hairy feet' meant BOY ponies and it's so rare to me to find boy ponies in the 'wild.' :whoa:  Sure enough, when she came down for a visit and brought over the goodies, I discovered that I had a Big Brother pony and a  Loving Family Daddy pony. :lovey:   She also found a mini Lyra Heartstrings plushie which I didn't have yet either!  :heart:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Then last night we went to the Northside GW Outlet and I gotta say it really helps to bring a second pair of eyes along with you because we arrived with less than a half hour till closing so I was speeding through all the bins looking for treasures and I totally missed what she found right by the door! :drunk:   She wanted to surprise me with them later but I spied pink furry feet on the scale when she was weighing her items and I gasped and was WHERE DID YOU FIND THOSE?! :silly:

BRIGHT BOUQUET Loving Family Daddy!!!

Now I need to complete the fams and get Mommy and baby. :lovey:

AND...  this lil cutie!!

I've never had any of the Friends/Pals before but i know this is Nectar the Panda.  I'm not sure which pony came with this set. Seems to be in pretty good condition though! Only a few stray marks which I'm sure will be easily removed with a few swipes of Magic Eraser. :happy:

Here they are chilling out with two other vintage toys I found at the other GW Outlet a few weeks ago. Lionel (?) Thunder Cats figure and a Mattel Lil Pretty.

And last but not least!! More bin ponies and toys from a month or so ago that I hadn't a chance to brag about yet. :silly:

I finally got a MEGAN doll which I never had as a kid! I found this strange because I thought Sundance came with Megan? But I'm pretty sure that I never had her as a kid because I don't remember playing with her. I clearly remember playing with Sundance a lot though especially with her pretty pink flower bridle.  This was a good variety of the different ponies since I found So Softs, Twiinkle Eyes, Glow N' Show, Happy Tails and Drink n' Wet varieties. :happy:

I hadn't found any G1s in a really long time so mom finding those G1s for me was a wonderful surprise. It really does pay off to teach your family how to spot things that you collect. I'm very grateful that she understands and appreciates my love of MLP more now than when I first started collecting. It's not just 'baby stuff' at all but it's a joy that can be spread through all generations of age. I'll never outgrow my love for vintage toy goodness or MLP! :lovey:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:28:14 AM by SunnyDazeAhead »
:heart: \"Your heart knows your song, but you have to be willing to listen to the words.\" :heart:

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Sunny's mom found G1s @ GW!!! I'm training her well! :D
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:44:10 AM »
My goodness what a haul!!!! So many boys and Nectar. Wow! Congratulations on versing your momma so well!  :lol:
(I tried to do that with my dad, but after him bringing me home too many fakies I knew it was a lost cause lol)
Enjoy your new ponies!

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 08:05:20 AM »
Very awesome haul Sunny.  I think I will forever be on my own when it comes to looking for ponies in the wild.  Have yet to find a g1  :(
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline SunnyDazeAhead

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:11:44 AM »
:lmao:  Ohhh my mom brought home MANY fakies (and still does) so it's mostly trial and error. I was astounded that she found Nectar and the Daddy pony last night on her own. Especially since I totally missed them and no doubt, would've gone home without them if I'd been flying solo on that visit. I was VERY glad to have an extra pair of hands and eyes looking for me that night. It really paid off!  :happy:   The only pals/friends set I had was Baby Lucky Leaf and Leafy and I sold them few years ago on ebay for $40. I don't know if that was too high or too low but I always regretted it so I re purchased Baby Lucky Leaf at the last Pony Fair I attended and she hasn't left my collection since. :lovey:  I love the sets they are so cuuute and I love Baby Lucky Leaf's symbol since I'm part Irish I like the cute lil clover. :lol:

jrr-- I was much in the same boat as you until I moved to a bigger city that had Goodwill Outlets. I never found G1s hardly ever!! It was so discouraging. I'd only find older G3s or McPonies or G4s. Finding G1s is always an exciting surprise since they are the toys from my childhood and it gives you that magical feeling that you had as a child when you got your first pony. To be able to recapture that joy every time you find a toy you're after in the wild is one of the best reasons imho to go thrift hunting. There was this show (I'm not sure if it's still on) called The Toy Hunter and he specifically would go hunting for vintage toys from the 60s, 70s 80s and 90s. I found this vastly interesting haha but he mostly looked for boys toys. I never saw him come across many girls vintage toys. I would've leapt at the screen if he did. LOL :lmao:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:13:52 AM by SunnyDazeAhead »
:heart: \"Your heart knows your song, but you have to be willing to listen to the words.\" :heart:

mskittylovesrobin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 08:11:56 AM »
Very awesome haul Sunny.  I think I will forever be on my own when it comes to looking for ponies in the wild.  Have yet to find a g1  :(

Same lol I don't think I will ever find any. Maybe one sweet day when we least expect it lol x

Offline SunnyDazeAhead

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:25:54 AM »
I love your user pic, MKLR! :heart:  Agreed, it's always when you least expect it that you find the things you want most. Almost ten years ago or so, when I first discovered Yum Yums (see my new user pic :P )  I went bonkers trying to find ANY at the thrifts around me at the time. I'd dive into HUGE bins of plush toys flinging stuff here and there and everywhere and never found a single one at all. :(

Then when I STOPPED LOOKING FOR THEM they started popping up in the most unlikely places. I remember I found TWO in one plastic bag at a DAV thrift in Kanas City when I lived there. Then I found TWO more and extremely rare ones, too, at an antique mall and Goodwill in my hometown. :whoa: I swore to myself based on the scarcity of the Party Yum Yums (again see user pic!) that I'd NEVER EVER EVER sell them and keep them in my collection forever and ever. Especially considering I found these highly sought after and valuable plush for only .99 cents and $2 respectively but sadly, this past holiday season due to financial reasons I had to part with the pair and sold them on eBay. :cloud:  I really regret this decision and know that I won't ever be able to afford to buy them back ever again. Plus, they won't be the ones that I found second hand which means so much more to me. :yikes:  Sometimes, I know we all have to part with our collections but I have to think that sometimes the actual item is worth more than the money you could get for it. Money is here one day and gone the next. But an item that you cherish and treasure will be there for you forever. :(   I know that we all have to pay bills and need a roof over our heads and food to survive etc so we do have to part with things we love to raise funds but ugh I wish there was a way to cover all those expenses without having to sell things we really love that are super important to us. Hmm... maybe that's called having a job. I should look into getting one of those. :lol:  I mainly sell on ebay and work elsewhere online but I have a few interviews lined up so hopefully, I'll be able to supplement my income soon so I won't have to sell off anymore cherished keepsakes. :drunk:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 08:26:38 AM »
Congrats. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 06:07:08 PM »
WOW! Congrats on all of your new ponies!

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 08:19:07 AM »
What great finds, and a great pony-spotting buddy! The description of the boy ponies having "hairy feet" made me chuckle! Like hobbits!

I love the so-softs they look lovely and the Lyra plushie :)

And can I just say... Thundercats!!!!

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 08:35:06 AM »
Wow, those are some great finds! You've taught your mum well! My mum has suprised me with some G1's before, it's always pretty exciting ^^

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Littlesparklepony

• Trade Count: (+69)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 09:16:18 AM »
Wonderful! Big Congrats to them all! :)

Offline SunnyDazeAhead

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »
What great finds, and a great pony-spotting buddy! The description of the boy ponies having "hairy feet" made me chuckle! Like hobbits!

Haha, yes! I cracked up when I heard hairy feet, too. :P

Also...

THUNDER CATS ARE ON THE LOOSE! THUNDER CATS ARE HEEERREEE!!! :lol:

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 01:34:07 PM »

THUNDER CATS ARE ON THE LOOSE! THUNDER CATS ARE HEEERREEE!!! :lol:

lol  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Ahhhh, memories!

Niwalime

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 01:58:15 PM »
What a great brag! Two Daddy ponies and a Big brother! And Nectar! And all those other ponies! That's just amazing :heart:

I need to train my mom to spot ponies in the wild as well! :D

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 09:27:14 PM »
Back when I was collecting full-on I had everyone I knew looking for ponies for me, lol.  It's amazing what other people can pick up  It's great your mum has such an eye for G1s!  What a lovely bunch she picked up for you. Congrats :cheer:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal