collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies you didn't like then saw in person and loved?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Ponies you didn't like then saw in person and loved?
« on: March 11, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »
Do you guys ever see a pony online and think "meh, I don't want her," and maybe even get her in a lot of ponies intending to sell her along, but then you start to really like her? That's happened with me many, many times. :lol: Examples (pictures from My Little Wiki):

Cutesaurus! I got her in a lot with other ponies and wasn't going to keep her. But then she just kept looking up at me with those adorable blue eyes . . . and chunky little feet . . . and I remembered how much I loved dinosaurs as a kid . . . and I was a goner.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DJ. I got one in a group of TLC ponies; she'd lost the knob on her chest so she has a gaping hole (I need to make some sort of Iron Man-like fix). I don't like gimmicky ponies in general and was going to sell her. But then I just mysteriously fell for her. Probably because she's blue and a unicorn; it also helps that the knob is gone, since I feel it gets in the way, ha ha.

Braided Beauty. In pictures she just never looks that great. But when you find a good one in person, she just looks really nice. Her color scheme works together really well, for one. 

Baby Sweet Steps. As I said before, I don't really like gimmicky ponies (I usually like the classic poses more). I had Sweet Steps and planned to sell her. But I kept putting it off and putting it off . . . she was so cute, looking up at me. Her colors are pretty and remind me of Heart Throb. So this ballerina baby joined my collection. ^.^

What about you guys? Are there ponies you didn't think you wanted but that worked their way into your collection?

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ponies you didn't like then saw in person and loved?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 10:10:34 PM »
I think there are some that have grown on me, either that I've seen in person but never paid much attention to or that I don't own but have softened up about.  I was never much a fan of the SHS ponies (as kids we used to call them teenage or diet ponies, haha) but over the years I've started to quite like them.

I once had a TAF Buttons (when I wasn't actively collecting but selling a bunch of old flea market finds) and I sold her because I didn't like her green colour.  I wasn't a fan of Sugar Apple for a long time either, but now I just love them both, especially Buttons :)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 11:12:43 PM »
Lovely photos!  :)

Princess Tiffany comes to mind for me.  In photos, she didn't strike me as particularly interesting but she's beautiful in person.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 04:14:16 AM »
Braided Beauty was one of my childhood ponies xD. I wanted her and Curly Locks a lot from the comics, and so I have a special fondness for her.

I collect all G1 ponies, but there are some that are nicer when you get them than from pictures. Most of the So Soft Ponies, if I'm honest. The only picture I saw before that were DV's very bad group photo of the Twist set. Maybe also the watercolor baby sea ponies. I became super fond of baby sea ponies because of having the two I did as a kid, but the watercolor ones seemed a bit creepy, till I actually had some and realised I liked that slightly creepy seaweed-hair thing they had going on.

I remember thinking the Pocket Friends ponies were odd even as a kid. I recall staring at them blankly aged about nine and thinking Hasbro had lost their minds. Still bought one, though...

As a child I hated Cherries Jubilee and wasn't so keen on Snowflake because I loathed that pose - but as an adult I have come to love it. It still looks awkward, but it's become a nice kind of awkward. As a child my favourite pony was Magic Star, so I had to get over  the pose thing when I realised Magic Star was in that pose too. And, tho at first I was happy the SS one was in a different pose, now I realise that I don't consider her Magic Star, but a copy. The one in the pose I hated is the one that now looks right to me and therefore is the only proper Magic Star in my mind's eye.

My sister has a few ponies I came to really like as time went on. I got her a TE Bright Eyes in a trade, but ultimately I had to get one too xD.

I also had the opposite, though. Songster and Player were always pegasus ponies in the comics and in the promo material they appear like that too at least once (like the TV commercial). But they are, of course, earth ponies. This is one of my childhood disappointments. I do love my Songster very much, but I wish she had had wings.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 04:20:44 AM »
I think there are a few of these for me, but the most notable was Tootsie. I just love her colors and it seems that no picture I saw of her until I had her in my hands did her justice.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 04:48:29 AM »
This happens to me all the time. Banana Surprise most notably. Every picture I see of her she looks odd, but when I saw her in person I thought (mine) was adorable.

Same with the see-through G1s - Skyrocket, Napper, etc. I used to think they were more like the She-Ra horses, where you could really see the hair inside and how the body was connected together. Once I realized they were more translucent than actually see through, I wanted all of them.

Elf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 05:52:47 AM »
Pretty much all Perfume Puffs and also the ballerinas and baby ballerinas. I never liked their looks, but in real life they look amazing!

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 07:47:11 AM »
I didn't really like the look of Majesty, at first. Perhaps it was her tendency to go a cream colour instead of white, or maybe it was the pose. I'm not sure. I won her in a lot, and fell in love. Her hair colour is so bright, I love the colours they used with her, and, much to my surprise, I also really like her pose. She's one of my favourites, now.

There's also Butterscotch. I didn't dislike her, but there was nothing there for me. I wasn't too interested by her, to say the least. My sister found some G1 ponies in the wild, of which Butterscotch was among them. She's absolutely gorgeous in real life! Her hair is a really nice caramel colour. I was once again surprised by how much I liked this pony!

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 08:10:52 AM »
G3 Hidden Treasure is like that for me, she's TOO pink was my initial thought when I saw pictures of her online, but actually owning her, she looks really nice.  The G1 Happy Tails ponies just seemed weird to me when I heard about them, but after I got Tossles and Woosie I realized they had really great color combinations, and the slightly shorter tails were very cute.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »
Hula Hula and Flutter Pony Yum Yum I saw a picture of them and was like, I don't like their colors and the eye shadow made the Tropical ponies look tacky!

Then I saw pictures on ebay and did a complete 180! They're so amazing in person. Both became instant favorites of mine as soon as I opened them up.

I love Yum Yum's sizzling neon hair and I've even become a fan of Hula Hula's eye shadow and her awesome fuschia coloring. Now I'm looking for her set mate Sea Breeze. Wouldn't mind having Pina Colada either.

TE Bright Eyes I don't own her and never wanted her, but my daughter bought one and I was floored, floored I tell you at seeing how beautiful she really is! Now I do want one.

Curly Locks-Shes not the type of pony I would like in person, her color scheme seems the bland at first. I was more interested in Braided Beauty, Pretty Vision and Ringlets, but my boyfriend kind of talked me into buying her and I just love how soft, pretty and pastel she is. Her hair is glorious! But it's also a pain to keep up, so no more BnGs for me. Plus the noise she makes when I pull her tail kinda scares me. Don't want her to break. XD

Chief-Again, this is my daughter's pony. I thought he was so bland and his color scheme and name suits a Police Pony better then a fire fighter.

My boyfriend bought her Chief for Christmas and I wasnt impressed with him at all. Reeked of cigarettes, big brown blotchy stain that my boyfriend said was from nicotine, messy, tangled hair.

Then I gave him a bath and thought huh, he's a nice, bright white. Brushed his hair and said Hey, I forgot how long a Big Bro's hair really is, realized how nice his symbol and eyes were. His hair dried out so shiny, silky and bouncy. He's a really handsome guy. :cool:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:06:04 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Oh this always happens to to me!

Most recently is bluebelle from the euro flower pony set. I'm obsessed with her pale orange color!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 01:36:22 PM »
Princess ponies! :) Totally did not want...met Princess Serena...now adore them all :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 04:08:30 PM »
Rosedust and Lavender Lace.

I'm not big on either the Flutters or the Perfume Puffs, and Rosedust seemed boring while Lavender Lace seemed like a weird color combination, but now that I have them in person, I think they're both gorgeous!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 06:04:28 PM »
Munchy I did make fun of her name I think that was why I had a hard time finding her. When I saw her in person I was very happy to have her.
There probably more that I can't think about it at the moment. I go by the rule until I have the pony in person I wont make up my mind until then.

Offline PinkieShyPony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 06:37:59 PM »
Twinkle eyed ponies. When I saw pictures of them I thought they looked really creepy, but then I found locket and fell in love. They are so pretty!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal