collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Buyer's package stolen and case opened against me?  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Buyer's package stolen and case opened against me?
« on: March 02, 2016, 06:03:16 AM »
I was just wondering how you guys think I should deal with this. A buyer opened a case yesterday; they had purchased a pony from me on Ebay on Feb. 14 and it was shipped on the 16th. I shipped through USPS and bought the postage through Ebay and so, of course, both Ebay and I have the tracking number. In the tracking the item is showing as delivered. The story gets a little unusual because the buyer opened the case not to blame me, necessarily, but to get a refund through Ebay. They sent a polite message:

"This and another package were stolen off my porch on feb 19! Ebay has to do an investigation. I am sorry for the inconvenience, I know it had nothing to do with you! Thanks!"

So I know they don't mean to be any trouble. It's just a little tricky; I have to figure out how to respond. As I see it, there's nothing I can do, right? It really stinks that it was stolen. But I don't think there's any action I can take . . . ? How would you respond?

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
Re: Buyer's package stolen and case opened against me?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 06:16:29 AM »
What kind of case did they open? Item not received? If so, eBay will most likely refund them from their own pocket as long as you have tracking and it shows that the item arrived. There should be no way that eBay will fault you in any way.

However, if they opened any other kind of case, I would respond if your response is needed since this in no way was your fault.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »
I do not think eBay will hold you liable if you have proof of delivery.  It's unfortunate the package was stolen off their porch, but you fulfilled your end of the bargain when the package was delivered.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 12:18:37 PM »
It won't count against you.  I would just post the tracking showing that you mailed it and it was delivered.

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
It won't count against you.  I would just post the tracking showing that you mailed it and it was delivered.

Aw, that sucks!  >_<

Agreed...yeah it's not your fault.
Not sure how Ebay will handle it because I stay away from there!..but I know PayPal took forever to get through a case when a weird thing happened to me.. Someone used a family member's (aunt or something..) credit card without permission - that person opened a case saying the payment was unauthorized.. I called PayPal and explained to them what was going on.. PayPal explained to me what occurred and they asked for proof, I sent them the tracking number and submitted a statement.. They went in favor of the credit card holder. I had to track down the girl and threaten her on Facebook and complain on the FB B/S/T site where the deal was made in order to get my money back... Fortunately, she did give me the $25 eventually.. Then she blocks me, huh. It could've ended way worse!
The block on my account was eventually removed.. but I had to call PP again. PayPal claims they look after their sellers (according to a customer rep I talked with on the phone), but I've heard and experienced otherwise. I'm sorry you're having to go through this! :hug:   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:07:54 PM by Sweet_Stuff »

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 04:35:10 PM »
ok so i know this   is proably   gonna  sound  rude or mean. but   do you  have proof it got stolen?   do you know the girl?  how doy ou know shes not just saying   it  got stolen  to  get a refund and keep the item for free? not saying it  is  but..   you never know there are a  lot of  people out there who pull scams and tricks.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 04:54:19 PM »
So...
I don't understand what they expect Ebay to do. Ebay can't do anything for them because an item was "stolen from their porch". They need to contact their local police about a crime. That is, IF it was stolen. It could of been misdelivered. How would they know the difference? Or worse, if they are straight up lying about it....

As long as you sent to a confirmed address you have nothing to worry about.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 05:47:24 PM »
So...
I don't understand what they expect Ebay to do. Ebay can't do anything for them because an item was "stolen from their porch". They need to contact their local police about a crime. That is, IF it was stolen. It could of been misdelivered. How would they know the difference? Or worse, if they are straight up lying about it....

Yeah I definitely hope this person is telling the truth! You would think they would go to police first instead of contacting you.. hmm..

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 03:58:42 AM »
I had a buyer who opened a case on me which was similar  ..although in my case it was almost certain it was a scammer trying to keep the item and get a refund too for supposingly not receiving the item.  I had proof of postage, tracking ( and the person had even signed for the item 2 weeks before opening the case :rolleyes: ).
Ebay sided with me. They will side with you too- you have proof of postage and tracking. The person is even admitting its not your fault. Dont worry :hug: 
The person should be going to the police and reporting though (if it really did get stolen) , not opening a case on you :(

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 01:00:22 PM »
So...

Yeah I definitely hope this person is telling the truth! You would think they would go to police first instead of contacting you.. hmm..

Well, not necessarily.  There isn't much point in contacting the police unless you have something to report to them (like a description or a product that actually has manufacture numbers that can be tracked, or if you were going to file a homeowner's or renters insurance claim, or electronics for which you have a receipt- just in case they ever make a big bust).  But ponies?  I don't think they'd even call you if they made a bust, found a bunch of stolen goods- and just so happened to also find ponies there.

I recall when I was still fairly new to my current house, I bought three pairs of work shoes from Nordstroms- and had them delivered to my house.  I got an email message at work showing the package was delivered- but by the time I got home, the box (which was probably huge), was gone.    I did contact Nordstrom to let them know-  and they did send me the shoes again (at least the ones still in stock).  It was a lesson learned for me. Now all of my packages that don't fit in the mail are delivered to my office.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:02:05 PM by Galactica »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »
So...

Well, not necessarily.  There isn't much point in contacting the police unless you have something to report to them (like a description or a product that actually has manufacture numbers that can be tracked, or if you were going to file a homeowner's or renters insurance claim, or electronics for which you have a receipt- just in case they ever make a big bust).  But ponies?  I don't think they'd even call you if they made a bust, found a bunch of stolen goods- and just so happened to also find ponies there.

I recall when I was still fairly new to my current house, I bought three pairs of work shoes from Nordstroms- and had them delivered to my house.  I got an email message at work showing the package was delivered- but by the time I got home, the box (which was probably huge), was gone.    I did contact Nordstrom to let them know-  and they did send me the shoes again (at least the ones still in stock).  It was a lesson learned for me. Now all of my packages that don't fit in the mail are delivered to my office.

There is a point. They need to know of crime activity in the area. How else are they to know? Maybe it's  something happening all over the buyers neighborhood and they need to step up patrol. That is, if it really *was* stolen.

I didn't mention that the buyer would be able to get money back, or her item through the police... But they should still be contacted.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 01:51:18 PM »
So...

There is a point. They need to know of crime activity in the area. How else are they to know? Maybe it's  something happening all over the buyers neighborhood and they need to step up patrol. That is, if it really *was* stolen.

I didn't mention that the buyer would be able to get money back, or her item through the police... But they should still be contacted.

Hmm, I think that depends on where you live.  There is already lots of crime in my area.  We don't get extra patrols though because it is not a wealthy neighborhood, or something.

The cops are no doubt more concerned with the shootings than someone having a piece of mail get stolen from the porch in a predominantly non-white neighborhood.  I recall during some home renovation our neighbor found a gun that had been sealed into a wall.  The cops didn't even want to take it because it would mean having to do some paperwork.  They told him to try and sell it at a pawn shop. No joke.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »
Honestly, the only thing the police can do is file a report. I really doubt they will up their patrols in the area because they are out there busy with DVs and shootings and drug arrests. As the wife of a patrol officer I hear a lot of what my husband deals with. And they are so understaffed. And if that is any indication of what other cities deal with, I'm sorry but you just can't expect much going that route. If you didn't see anyone take anything then they can't do much for you.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:53:53 AM by hathorcat »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 08:13:06 PM »
It's true that mail theft can be hard to stop.  If someone is regularly having packages stolen, the best thing to do is to open a PO box at the post office.

The police should be informed anyway, so they can get a sense of whether it's a pattern in the area.  Also the USPS.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 11:09:02 PM »
Here in the US, mail theft is considered a federal crime, too, not a local one...most people don't know that, and don't bother reporting it, but if the thief is caught, they can face SERIOUS charges.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal