collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

When you were younger, what age did you 'outgrow' your ponies?

1-6
6-8
8-12
12-15
15-18
18-26
26-37
Never!!

Author Topic: When you were younger, what age did you 'outgrow' your ponies?  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: When you were younger, what age did you 'outgrow' your ponies?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 03:26:26 PM »
Maybe around 10 or 11? The last pony I bought was Pony Bride and I bought her with my own money. I started collecting 80's toys when I was 18.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 04:51:07 PM »
I said 8-12, but I'm not positive on that. The last ponies I bought were in Year 9, which would have made me around 10. My mom got rid of my ponies at some point, without even asking me. I assume I must have stopped playing with them before she got rid of them.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 04:57:43 PM »
I think maybe 11-13.  I remember just before I moved from Rhode Island to Kentucky I gave away my 6 or 7 G1's I had to a kid who was a few years younger than I and we used to play together.  I think it was around that time that I stopped playing with them.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 06:08:59 PM »
I really don't remember an age, but it had to have been around kindergarten because that's when my ~gender identity and roles~ confusion began. I sure wish somebody would've taught me that liking colorful toy horses doesn't mean I have to be a girl earlier, it'd have saved me a heck of a lot of confusion in life. (And childhood ponies, I'm thinking...oh the horror of garage sales.)
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 07:17:38 PM »
I think it was around 12+ I thought I was too cool for ponies so I gave them to some kids I knew. I never thought I would regret that years later I still kick myself what the heck I was thinking???! >_<

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 07:26:31 PM »
I'm gonna say probably about 8-ish. I was definitely onto Grand Champions horses by 3rd or 4th grade, and more into other toys after that. I had maybe 10 or less G1s as a kid. I know I liked them and played with them, and I remember picking a couple of them out from the toy store myself so I must have had a phase where I was into them for awhile but I don't think it lasted very long. Tootie Tails was the newest released one I remember from my herd and I would have been like 5 or 6 when she was released, so yea pretty young. I know I never knowingly got rid of any but probably just kinda left them to my younger sister at one point. I didn't start collecting ponies until g4 in 2011 and still only collect g4.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:05:02 PM by Flitter »

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 07:29:10 PM »
I actually do remember almost the exact day.
It was in 1995, I was 14, and I had a serious crush on someone from a boyband (caught in the act, you Germans may remember), and another friend had a crush on someone from die Ärzte. We were together one afternoon, piles of ponies in front of us, planning how to run away from home to find them...
It was the last time I took my ponies out for play.

However, I never got rid of them, I put them in a box in my bedroom and didn't think of them much, until eBay came along and I started having dreams about them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 07:31:08 PM by Honeycomb »

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 07:56:56 PM »
All I remember is as a teenager I quit actively collecting and just focused on school, friends, and relationships. My parents were always supportive of it and were never the types to tell me I was too old for it, and I kept it a secret from everyone but my closest friends/boyfriends (boyfriends thought it was cute and would buy me things anyway), so I never really felt too old for them I just lost interest for a while while I focused on other things.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2016, 12:54:49 AM »
As a boy, my parents encouraged me to ditch my herd early on at like 8 years old. I scaled back dramatically, keeping only 4 out of ~20 ponies (Sweet Stuff, Moonstone, Morning Glory, & Water Lily). But then a year or 2 later I saw Wave Runner at a yard sale and had to have her, and then the same with Sprinkles. I think by the time I was 11 or 12 I'd gotten rid of all my ponies.

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2016, 01:08:55 AM »
Never :9 my "playing ponies" transitioned into collecting so smoothly over the last couple years of g3 that I honestly just can't remember a clear line between the two reasons for buying them. And I still play with them sometimes still at 20 years old. :lol:

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2016, 06:40:04 AM »
I think I was 11 when they were forgotten in the garage.  Then I got them back out at 16 and never looked back.  I'm 33 and still play with them.   :inlove:

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Karebearcntdwn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2016, 10:03:32 AM »
I was a major horse nut and still am, so all of my horses from barbie or felted to MLP and Remco fakies were displayed. I used to draw MLP on school homework and class work, that always got me in trouble. Than when airbrushing was introduced to me through art class, horses (in particular MLP), were my choice to have on T-shirts. Unfortunately when I moved in with my husband to a small condo I had no room for them so they were left with my parents. Soon after I moved my mother and father soon followed and now I'm not sure where my small collection of MLP are. I have started collecting again and have over 100 now which far exceeds the 15 I grew up with. If it were up to me I would have a whole room dedicated to MLP as other members have, but living with someone who doesn't see MLP as I do it won't happen any time soon.  :P

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »
I've always kept my childhood ponies but I stopped playing with them and all the rest of my toys by the time I was sometime in my teens. I specifically remember groaning whenever my sister wanted to play Barbies with me because she was seven years younger than me so still definitely young enough to but I was 16 then and didn't want to. After said groaning I gave in anyway though. =p

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2016, 11:02:35 AM »
I got my last pony in stores at the age of 11. Some more followed which were bought on fleamarkets and I think I must have been around 13 when I felt outgrown or to be honest I was made to feel outgrown...
My mom told me "its way too childish, lets put them away" and so on like most mothers did / do, so I gave in and put them away. It was a hard battle but I couldnt stand all that nagging anymore... she always told me off for the things I bought from my pocket money and such... Nothing was right, everything was too childish and I finally gave in.
Ponies were put away then. Not too far away though, I hid them in a bag deep down in my closet and some were even in a closed cabinet near my bedroom where she didnt see them.
I had no chance to pull them out until I left home to live with my (now) husband. Started collecting ponies (again) in 2004, soon after our daughter was born (nov. 2003).

Similarly I got my last pony at about 11 and was made to feel it was too childish to continue playing with them. I wish I hadn't listened!

Maybe that's why I came back to them at the age of 35- I knew I hadn't finished with them yet!!  :lol:

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2016, 01:10:28 PM »
I stopped playing with them as kid toys in middle school.. The last pony I bought at a store (it was a discount / outlet store) was in 1990. Soon after that I kinda stopped playing with them.. but I never outgrew them! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal