collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

When you were younger, what age did you 'outgrow' your ponies?

1-6
6-8
8-12
12-15
15-18
18-26
26-37
Never!!

Author Topic: When you were younger, what age did you 'outgrow' your ponies?  (Read 5308 times)

Offline DappledHazel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
When you were younger, what age did you 'outgrow' your ponies?
« on: February 24, 2016, 06:57:58 AM »
What I mean is, what age did you get rid/stop playing/collecting ponies? For example, could be at like age 7 your parents got rid of your ponies and you didn't start collecting again until 22..

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
Re: When you were younger, what age did you 'outgrow' your ponies?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:03:03 AM »
Never!  I did give my childhood collection to my niece though because she adored them and even though I still liked them I wanted them to be actively enjoyed, if that makes sense. 
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
Never... we rotated between what we were playing with. Sometimes Barbie, sometimes pony, sometimes Lego etc. 

We transitioned to getting the toys for birthday/Christmas to being able to buy our own (now G2) ponies with babysitting money. Then in high school I discovered ponies at fleamarkets, and that launched ponies back into the spotlight, and focused our passion for this particular toy. Collected G3 when they came out in college,(averted my eyes when 3.5 was on shelves) and now G4! I'll be right here when G5 comes out (so long as they are still ponies by then, and not EG).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 07:06:40 AM »
I never had any ponies in my childhood,so i can't say anything about this.

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 07:10:30 AM »
I chose "15 - 18", though it might have been a bit sooner. That's when I stopped displaying my collection, anyway. Thankfully, my mum kept my ponies, so when I got back into collecting when I was in my early twenties, they were all still there. :)

mskittylovesrobin

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 07:15:15 AM »
My parents kept moving a lot so ... when I was in my 20s and travelling a lot for work too I sold my collection  >_< believe it or not, I sold my pearlized set to someone for $80  :blink: Do I regret it? YES but it is done so I am now almost 40 lol and getting into buying my favourite ones back again along with others like Strawberry Shortcake, Barbie from the 80s but MLP is my favourite  :blush:

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 07:23:28 AM »
I think by the time I hit middle school, I was done playing with them.  Then I didn't get into collecting them again until 30 years later.   
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 07:57:03 AM »
I got my last pony in stores at the age of 11. Some more followed which were bought on fleamarkets and I think I must have been around 13 when I felt outgrown or to be honest I was made to feel outgrown...
My mom told me "its way too childish, lets put them away" and so on like most mothers did / do, so I gave in and put them away. It was a hard battle but I couldnt stand all that nagging anymore... she always told me off for the things I bought from my pocket money and such... Nothing was right, everything was too childish and I finally gave in.
Ponies were put away then. Not too far away though, I hid them in a bag deep down in my closet and some were even in a closed cabinet near my bedroom where she didnt see them.
I had no chance to pull them out until I left home to live with my (now) husband. Started collecting ponies (again) in 2004, soon after our daughter was born (nov. 2003).

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:03:43 AM by Einhornbaby »

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 08:09:07 AM »
I'd say around 8 or 9...
Ponies were the most girly thing I had going for me, and I only had three yarn hair plushies and they were given away during the great stuffed animal exodus (my mom had me get rid of about 3/4 of my stuffed animals because I had too much) before middle school started.
It wasn't a big loss I guess. I still liked ponies but I had moved to other things by then.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 08:22:37 AM »
I really never outgrew them. I just stopped getting them after the G1 ponies came to the end. I had a hard time liking the G2 ones when they came out in the stores. There was not to many places to find them second hand in my town either. Its was not till the G3 ponies started to show up in the stores! I was hooked again and I thought I would check out the internet. That was still a pretty new thing also. I came along ebay and that was the end of it all. :) Or should I say start of it all!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:24:34 AM by achab1984 »

Offline Skelletonimp

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.typicaltish.webs.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 08:35:41 AM »
I believe I was 13 when I stopped playing with them, but after that I always displayed them on a shelve, and so now and then I even bought some new (G2) ponies in store, and I was always looking for G1 ponies on yard-sales :)

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 08:38:56 AM »
I got bored with them very quickly as a young kid. I preferred action figures, so my G3's went in the loft probably when I was about 7 or so. I told my mum to throw them out or give them away when I was 10, but we never did thankfully. Then at 12 or 13 I started watching FIM, and then discovered G1's and started collecting around about then, taking my childhood G3's back to be displayed on my new collection shelf. It's been 4 or so years of collecting now, which isn't a lot compared to some others, but to me it is!

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 08:39:33 AM »
Ponies have always been my life. For a little while my childhood collection was in the attic, but that was also during the time that G3s had started to show up, so I was collecting those (meaning I still had ponies everywhere).

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 08:42:57 AM »
I remember the last childhood pony I ever bought. It was in 8th grade and I was sick, but had gone to the grocery store with my mom. I wasn't make-believe playing with them as much as I used to, but did sometimes. I think it was another year or so before I decided that as a high schooler, it was time to give it up.

Then I started collecting maybe two years after I graduated high school? I realized the pony love wasn't going away.

As I type this, I'm at work and wearing a sweater with G1 Glory on it. lol. I've been silently judged once and OMG I LOVE YOUR SWEATER'd twice so far today.

My mom let me sell / donate / get rid of pretty much any childhood toys I wanted to BUT NOT MY PONIES. She was adamant I'd regret if if I did. And you know what? She was right. I never did get rid of my childhood collection and I'm so glad.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 08:48:37 AM »
My mom let me sell / donate / get rid of pretty much any childhood toys I wanted to BUT NOT MY PONIES. She was adamant I'd regret if if I did. And you know what? She was right. I never did get rid of my childhood collection and I'm so glad.
Aww, your mom is awesome. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal