collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: soft sleepy newborn! Question about mark removal + accessories  (Read 580 times)

Offline Dainty

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
soft sleepy newborn! Question about mark removal + accessories
« on: February 19, 2016, 11:57:12 PM »
So i found a soft sleepy newborn on my birthday! Yay! But this isn't a brag post :P I need help! I have a few questions. First off, could I get a price check on a pony in her condition? Very nice hair and working mechanisms, marks on one side are the issue (see pics). And what would you price it if I AM able to remove her marks?

Aand also, I was wondering if anyone had a soft sleepy newborn panty or bonnet they would be willing to take some measurements of for me :blush: I think I found a good fabric that would work for a repro.

So, she has these.. marks all over one side of her body. it almost looks like she was laying on something?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I thought they were dirty so i tried to remove it with nail polish remover (i'm out of acetone atm, its late lol) but it didn't do anything :huh: Neither did hot water and scraping but I may not have gotten it hot enough. didn't want to submerge her.

Does anyone have any idea what these marks are? :huh: And any suggestions for things to try next?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 12:15:44 PM by Dainty »

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
Re: Weird marks on pony, removal help?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 05:41:15 AM »
I'm going to echo what I said on facebook and congratulate you on an amazing find! Because the discoloration pattern seems to be mainly on her feet, I wonder if she was sitting on a carpet or something for sometime and either there was dye transfer or it was moist and accelerated the plastic breakdown where she was in contact with it. It really looks to regular for mold and I'd think you'd be able to get rid of some of the staining with nail polish remover if it were mold. 

As to what to try next, has anyone used hydrogen peroxide with one of the soft and sleepy newborns?  It's difficult because they are so uncommon you definitely don't want to do something to make it worse.  My guess would be sunfading first and then maybe hydrogen peroxide if that doesn't work, but I've never tried either with a S&SN so those are just semi-educated guesses.  Hopefully someone who's had experience restoring one of these guys will chime in.

And again, OMG congrats!  Such pony luck you have :D 
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 06:58:30 AM »
Weird I got a seashell the other day with similar marks on her side which I too at first assumed was just dirt that would wash out I had a little luck with zit cream to fade it but they are still noticeable just not as dark

Offline buddyboymama

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 07:46:51 AM »
Just a quick note to say, please don't use acne products! They may continue to work, and then you'll have white spots instead of ... whatever those marks are.

Offline Dainty

• Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 09:38:33 AM »
I'm curious about sunfading (although I'm in oregon so it would take months lol!) but.. I know some pink ponies fade right? How does firefly sunfade, they are similar colors I think??

Um I mean I could try it only sunfading like.. The inside of the bottom of her foot?? :P but like I said it would take a while before I would even see results from the test... Blah!

Offline billietallent

• Secret Surprise Pony
  • Imma die surrounded by ponies, yarn, and buttons
    • View Profile
Re: soft sleepy newborn! Question about mark removal + accessories
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 03:36:26 PM »
Maybe see if a Magic Eraser does anything?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline DappledHazel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 04:52:26 PM »
What about rubbing alcohol, Dawn Power Dissolver, or maybe hand sanitizer? I've never tested it so I'd recommend keeping it off the symbol or eyes if you try them...

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 05:05:59 PM »

I :heart: magic eraser!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline billietallent

• Secret Surprise Pony
  • Imma die surrounded by ponies, yarn, and buttons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 05:39:36 PM »

I :heart: magic eraser!
I always have magic erasers in my house! I know how they work, but I've decided they're still made of magic.

Offline Dainty

• Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »
Hmmm I tried magic eraser.. took off a fine layer of grime and all the the OTHER marks but no dice on these ones.

i still havent tried 100% acetone.. i have hydrogen peroxide too but its making me nervous, i thought it was mostly for white ponies??

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 08:51:59 AM »
It's a little hard to tell from the blurry photos, but could it be pindot?  The pattern and location looks about right. If it is pindot, hot water and lots of elbow grease should be able to budge the ingrained dirt.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Dainty

• Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 04:19:32 PM »
No :( I tried scraping. Also it is on part of the symbol. Looks like sunfading is my next step.

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 04:50:18 PM »
Hmmm I tried magic eraser.. took off a fine layer of grime and all the the OTHER marks but no dice on these ones.

i still havent tried 100% acetone.. i have hydrogen peroxide too but its making me nervous, i thought it was mostly for white ponies??

Peroxide cream, acne creams or Remove-Zit can fade color out of ponies and are usually just used for white ponies.  That is different than the liquid hydrogen peroxide that you get from a drugstore in a brown bottle.  The liquid is only 3% (you can check the bottle for the concentration to make sure) and it is less concentrated than peroxide creams which are usually around 10%.  I don't know what concentration Remove-Zit cream is.  The manufacturer doesn't have to disclose the ingredient list because the cream isn't a cosmetic.  However, I would bet that it's much higher than 3% and probably higher than 10% acne cream as well.  Another confounding factor is that acne creams are made up of Benzyl Peroxide which is not the same thing as Hydrogen Peroxide, though both are oxidizers and bleaching agents. 

I've used liquid 3% hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) on colored ponies with no problem, but I've never used it on a Soft and Sleepy Newborn so I can't tell you with 100% confidence that it's safe to use.  What I've found mostly is that H2O2 soaking results in a brighter more vibrant color returning to the ponies and removes age discoloration.  I have never found it to remove marks from pen, saddle sores or dye transfer or pony cancer, regrind what have you.  So I'm not sure if it would really help you here.  It may be that I don't soak the ponies long enough to effect mark removal though.  I need to get some baits and through them in different concentrations of H2O2 and see what kind of effect it has.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Dainty

• Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 06:04:17 PM »
If I can rig it right I can try dipping the side of her foot in it and seeing if it affects it in any way. Otherwise, I have a friend in so cal who is willing to lend me her windowsill :p

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal