collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Moving...What is the best way to pack away my collection?  (Read 914 times)

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Moving...What is the best way to pack away my collection?
« on: February 19, 2016, 04:47:30 AM »
Getting ready to move but I won't be able to actually move into the house for another 2 weeks for various reasons so in the mea. Time im just trying to get as much packed as possible. My Pony stuff shouldn't stay boxed for long but I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up while I have them packed for the time being. We might also have to put some stuff in storage for a time but I'm making it a point to bring my Pony stuff with me as soon as I can get in.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
Re: Moving...What is the best way to pack away my collection?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »
It would be easy to help with more detail. Rough size? Which gen? how far is the move?

I am very particular about my belongings. Ponies to the largest degree but also everything else in my home. so this is speaking as someone who is obsessive- but applying it to a collection it's a smart move. and most is geared to a BIG move where things might not get all unpacked right away.

Everything I own is packaged, each box has my name/address etc printed on it. Again my name/address is inside the box (if something is lost, I want it back! NOT insurance money). as well as a code. I keep a master list, which lists everything in each box beside the code I have assigned to each. as well as a checklist to I can cross off each and know exactly what arrived and if something does go missing i know right away. My collection is to a degree it has it's own list.

This served me well moving across the country, as well as moving 6 hour drive up island. I had to have it done all at once. I research how to package something if I am unsure. Movers are sometimes not gentle, and ideally a truck should be packed tight, but sometimes boxes can fall, bounce or tossle in the truck. Same thing with inside the boxes- there's a shipping phrase that says "if it moves, it breaks". So anything important, take your time.

If you are doing a very short move, obviously much easier to move important/fragile stuff in your car. and, most climates if a storage unit is needed it should be indoor climate controlled. camping sections even have kits to keep moisture out of campers and boats you can place with your boxes on the floor of your unit. But pony vinyl is sensitive to moister, temp swings, freezing and baking in the summer sun. I've seen some ponies bought from unit auctions, someones shed or attic that were in the most sorry of states (turned brown and splotchy). sometimes it takes years, sometimes damage can happen quickly. = indoor climate controlled storage unit!

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:50:03 PM »
Most people know not to pack their collections in newsprint (since the print rubs off on ponies and probably other stuff).  What I didn't realize was that while plastic shopping bags make great free packing material, the logos on some of them can rub off.  Not all of them, but I had it happen with one bag.  http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/mycollection7.html#LovingFamily

I'll still use them in the future, but I'll make sure that no logos are touching anything.

I've moved my collection from IN to MI, then to VA, then from an apartment to a house.  LOTS of padding and nothing got broken.  Don't get me started on the nightmares about my ponies falling out the back of my pickup truck and down the side of a mountain . . .
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 09:57:26 PM »
I packed mine in tightly with paper towels for the most part with no problems. For the ones I had with styled hair,  used a tupperware container and surrounded them with paper towels lightly balled up to protect their hair.

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 11:52:38 PM »
When I moved a few years ago, I packed my ponies in a large plastic tote, padding/separating them with tissue/paper towel/toilet paper. If you have any ponies with hair colours known to bleed like chartreuse, I'd recommend wrapping their hair specifically in extra tissue. I placed scented ponies in (not-quite-sealed to prevent trapping moisture) ziploc bags to prevent their perfumes from mixing. :)

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 07:52:49 AM »
When I moved in 2014, I packed my ponies each in its own plastic baggie, laying them out in plastic totes. I kept the lids loose until it was time to move so that moisture wouldn't build up. That's it! :) They stayed like this for a couple weeks and came out fine.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal