collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Adults Buying Pokemon and Ponies  (Read 2780 times)

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Adults Buying Pokemon and Ponies
« on: February 15, 2016, 11:32:28 PM »
Here is the deal. I really love custom made plushies. I have even commissioned a couple of them for a decent price. My family looks down upon my love for pony and Pokemon (I am much more into ponies, I really only play the Pokemon games, but I still adore hand made Pokemon plushies, some of them are just brilliant!) However I've moved out so their opinion doesn't matter anymore, even though it would be really nice to have their support. What I'm after is a life size plush (probably of Princess Luna because she is my favourite) by a certain talented plush maker. I am basically wondering if you guys have commissioned such a plush before. Strange question but were you afraid/shy to commission at first (because it was such a big item)? What advice do you have for a fellow plush lover who wants to commission but is afraid to? Thank you

Princess Lala

Re: Adults Buying Pokemon and Ponies
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 04:36:52 AM »
I've had multiple adults (like in their 30's and 50's) ask my why the heck I am 24 and collect toys, why not buy a house with that money. All kinds of cliché stuff. Honestly I reeeeaaaaly don't care what other people think and neither should you! (∩_∩)

Here's the thing- Im an adult who buys toys, and I have every right to. I worked hard and graduated high school with CORe 40 Academic Honors at 17, then worked two jobs at 17, moved out all on my own to a State where no one in my family lives, work full time, pay for my own car payment- in fact I pay for everything on my own and I have never asked for financial help not even once. Im in a pinch? I work a day job part-time. I deserve every right to be called an adult, I'm just a FUN adult! I can put priorities before anything and after that comes the fun stuff! I buy Pokemon and other toys only with spare money after bills plus I throw some into savings!

Who doesn't love nostalgia anyways!? I'm a 90's kid after all and Pokemon was and IS still a huge part of who I am! Im really happy to just be me and I do not care what people tell me when I buy toys for myself. Don't be afraid to be who you are!  I say GO FOR IT and get that Luna plush! She will be a beautiful decoration in your new home!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:38:24 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 05:02:52 AM »
Tee hee, your parents would REALLY hate me because my room is the place where I keep my MLP collection and also many of my Pokemon merchandise.

I'm a collector of both. I'm in love with the Pokemon games, I grew up watching the VHS tapes, and I'm kinda known for calling my Pokemon my babies/children/etc. MLP collecting is my main thing right now though and honestly it's kind of obvious? At least if you look at my room or something. I'm not afraid to be vocal about these things either so yeah your parents would not like me.

My opinion: things do not objectively have an age range. They can have primary demographics, but that doesn't mean a thing about who can and cannot like them. I'm 19 years old and if I want to watch a movie about colorful talking horses getting ready for a friendship ball then I can legally do so and anyone that has a problem with that can kiss my....cutie mark.
Yeah let's say that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 06:36:49 AM »
I'm 36 and I dont really care what anybody thinks. Although right now I am teaching in China and all mail I get goes to the school. The Chinese teachers always flock around when I get packages and they don't seem to understand the whole "collecting" thing.

I have only ever comissioned small custom ponies and I think the most expensive was about $50

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 06:37:48 AM »
I'd just ask the artist, myself.  If you can afford it why not?  The worst she can say is no, and the worst your family can do is shake their heads.  Besides, you moved out so how would they know? 

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
I'm 25 and live on my own with my boyfriend.
I honestly didn't care what people say about my collection or hobbies. I collect both Pokémon and MLP.
Do what makes you happy, cause that's all that matters in life IMO. Life is too short to worry about such things :3

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:54:20 AM »
Who has to know? The artist won't care/doesn't need to know who the plush is for. You're paying for a service/item, they fulfill that request. If someone was commissioning me for anything, I wouldn't care or ask if it was for themselves, for someone else, or being launched in a rocket to the moon. So long as they pay for it, it doesn't matter who the end product is for.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »
If you are crafty you can try it yourself, too.

I ended up making one of Destiny..oh..9ish years ago?  before the G4s existed, using the biggest G3 plushies as a template :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 07:30:39 PM »
Don't worry about what other people think. You just do you.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 02:34:39 AM »
People have always been collecting toys from their childhood days. My gramps collected trains, my dad his Carrera cars. Now we collect ponies and Pokemon. I get occasional giggles and my parents seem to hope that it is "just a phase". But at the end of the day, I'm the one who gets joy and good vibes from following my hobby, so I just don't care anymore.

If you want to buy that giant plushie for yourself, you buy that giant plushie for yourself! It's your life, your money, your house - and your very own decision on what to do with it.

Why are you shying away from the artist who does the plushies? Why should they judge you for commissioning a plushie? They are the ones making huge, life size ponies, I bet they are over the moon for everyone ordering one, as it tells them that they are not alone with their love for plushies! :) They are probably the last person to wonder!
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 10:30:14 AM »
I'm going to be 32 next month and look probably about half that but I've long since stopped caring about my pony collecting habits.  I'm also into Monster High and Ever After High and I have a many other toys and stuff animals in my room.  I live at home still, but every now and then I still get grief (usually from my Mom) about me being and adult and buying "toys" in her words.  She says I've wasted so much money on them and she even said how much money I have in them.  I guess she thinks I should sell my collection.  :haha:

I actually commissioned someone for a 3ft Majesty plush.  She had a pattern ready and her Mom was going to help her.  She required a deposit up front and as part of the payment she let me trade her some ponies and the rest was cash.  I sent her the ponies, about two large envelopes full (probably about 10 - 20 ponies) and she told me to wait on the rest to make sure I was satisfied.  So, I guess she gets depressed on and off and she eventually fell out of love for ponies and never made the plush.  This happened over a period of time and I was so disappointed.  I wanted this plush so much and was so excited.  She never sent me my ponies back either.  I planned on paying for the plush to be shipped to me stuffed since I don't sew it would be a pain for me to restuff and resew it.

She was a member here by the name Pony Empress.  I guess she got teased a lot, even from members here about her being overweight and that didn't help with her depression.

Anyway, there are tons of people here who make great plushies and you could probably find someone to make you a life-sized custom Luna.  Luna is one of my favorites and I'd like to sees pics of the final product one day.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 10:40:25 AM »
I'm 34 next week, and I feel like, if the money is my money, then I can do what I want to do with it. I am a PhD student on a scholarship. That scholarship money is NEVER spent on ponies. It's spent on rent, transport, food, etc. Money for ponies comes from other things - proofreading, selling ponies, etc. Before, when I was working, money for ponies came from the money I earned at my job, after essentials.

If I don't want to spend that money on a drunken binge night out like some "adults" do, then I won't. I'm not married, I have no kids, so why not?

Obligations come first but pocket money is pocket money and it's your pocket money.

IMO maturity is partly about recognising the parts of you that are still a kid, and accepting them. There's nothing wrong with commissioning a plush pony and if there is an artist who is offering that service, the artist is fully behind the concept anyway!

So if you can afford it, and want it, then just do it. Your money. Your collection. Your life. Your happiness.

Just make sure you find someone you can trust to make the plush that you want, and to deliver on the commission!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Aliyahbetd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »
I'm going to be 32 next month and look probably about half that but I've long since stopped caring about my pony collecting habits.  I'm also into Monster High and Ever After High and I have a many other toys and stuff animals in my room.  I live at home still, but every now and then I still get grief (usually from my Mom) about me being and adult and buying "toys" in her words.  She says I've wasted so much money on them and she even said how much money I have in them.  I guess she thinks I should sell my collection.  :haha:

I actually commissioned someone for a 3ft Majesty plush.  She had a pattern ready and her Mom was going to help her.  She required a deposit up front and as part of the payment she let me trade her some ponies and the rest was cash.  I sent her the ponies, about two large envelopes full (probably about 10 - 20 ponies) and she told me to wait on the rest to make sure I was satisfied.  So, I guess she gets depressed on and off and she eventually fell out of love for ponies and never made the plush.  This happened over a period of time and I was so disappointed.  I wanted this plush so much and was so excited.  She never sent me my ponies back either.  I planned on paying for the plush to be shipped to me stuffed since I don't sew it would be a pain for me to restuff and resew it.

She was a member here by the name Pony Empress.  I guess she got teased a lot, even from members here about her being overweight and that didn't help with her depression.

Anyway, there are tons of people here who make great plushies and you could probably find someone to make you a life-sized custom Luna.  Luna is one of my favorites and I'd like to sees pics of the final product one day.

Not to hijack the thread, but even with depression, if Pony Empress doesn't intend to make your plush, she definitely should return the money and ponies! If you weren't so positive about her character/reasons, I'd say it sounded like a scam

On topic:
I'm sure most if not all of that plushie maker's customer's are adults/teens xD I doubt too many parents are buying expensive handmade collectibles for their kiddies. There is nothing wrong with collecting things that make you happy, even if you are out of the target audience for whatever reason. Adults have been collecting toys, dolls, plush animals, figurines, etc... for centuries

Wishlist:
My Kingdom for Cranberry Muffins! :lovey:...
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,379105.0.html

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 04:00:34 PM »

Not to hijack the thread, but even with depression, if Pony Empress doesn't intend to make your plush, she definitely should return the money and ponies! If you weren't so positive about her character/reasons, I'd say it sounded like a scam

On topic:
I'm sure most if not all of that plushie maker's customer's are adults/teens xD I doubt too many parents are buying expensive handmade collectibles for their kiddies. There is nothing wrong with collecting things that make you happy, even if you are out of the target audience for whatever reason. Adults have been collecting toys, dolls, plush animals, figurines, etc... for centuries

Luckily I didn't send any money but I tried to ask for my ponies back but I never heard back from her.  She did show me the pattern, she made it from her 3ft plush Frilly Frocks, I think she traced it from that and created a pattern from it.  She also showed me what she planned to use for the horn and the fabric she found for the pony's body.  She was truly excited about making it.  I agree, I should have gotten the ponies back but I think with her depression it got so bad that she was in a black hole or something.  She completely fell out of love for ponies and I guess I had to get dragged along for the ride.  >_<
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:04:10 PM by Majesty »

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 12:36:47 AM »
Thanks so much everyone for the support! <3

Majesty that sucks, I'm sorry :(

The maker I want to commission from is Agatrix. I've been wanting a plush from her for over three years now, in fact I was on her waiting list a couple of times in an attempt to get a plush but life had to get in the way and I had to put my dream plush aside again. :( I think life size plushies are fascinating because they are the next best thing to having the real character. What I'm afraid of is spending so much money on something the rest of the world views as impractical.

Also I am not sure how to tell her I am ready to get back on the waiting list for real this time.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:38:34 AM by BrinnyTheBrave »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal