collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shadowhunters Discussion *Warning Spoilers*  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Shadowhunters Discussion *Warning Spoilers*
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:32:21 PM »
So, I'm not sure if anyone is watching this series.  It's on Freeform, which used to be Abc Family on Tuesday nights at 9pm eastern time.

I read The Mortal Instruments series, I read The Bane Chronicles and I'm working on The Shadowhunter Academy series of books on my kindle.  I haven't read any of the Clockwork books yet, but I also have a copy of The Shadowhunters Codex.  I know there are going to be or already have been a new series of books related to this.  I can't remember what it's called but it's on Cassandra's website I think.

Anyway, I have seen the first movie several times and I was a little bummed out when they decided not to make the second movie, but was sort of excited about the thought of a TV series.  I've watched them all so far and I would like to comment and granted it has been a while since I read the first book so I can't remember exactly if it's just like the book series or it's own thing.

Jace's actor is great, similar to the actor from the first movie, except that actor had a British accent which made him more sexy in my opinion.

I feel like Clary in the series wears too much make-up and is too girly than her character in the books.  I liked her better in the movie, but I actually prefer how I imagined her in the book.

Isabelle in the movie was sexy and alluring but I feel like the Isabelle in the series is sort of slutty and flaunts it way to much.  I prefer the book and movie version to be honest.

I don't mind the actor for Luke but I prefer the movie version, because he looked like a werewolf with his messy beard and sort of shoulder length hair.  The actor in the TV series is neatly trimmed and I think they went for sexy man instead of werewolf man or something.

Raphael is a big problem for me.  In the books I pictured him with a spanish accent and he says "Dios" instead of God, because it's the Spanish word for God, because he can't actually say God so he gets away with it.  The actor is American and he doesn't look like he's Spanish or maybe he's part Spanish not sure.  I can't understand why they couldn't at least find someone to match the character in the books better.

Camille I did picture different, I thought that she would be somewhat older given the fact that later in the book series she
Spoiler
takes on a sort of Mother role for the real Christopher who is actually Clary's real brother.

Everyone else doesn't bother me as much.  I am enjoying the series, it's just a few things I wanted to vent about.

So, if anyone is also watching this and wants to discuss it feel free.  :ohyeah:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:34:19 PM by Majesty »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Shadowhunters Discussion *Warning Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 05:19:07 AM »
I've been watching, but to be honest, everything about it is infuriating. They've changed EVERYTHING. None of the characters are right and neither is the story. But Raphael could say God. He practiced over and over with Magnus, when he was first turned, until he could. Dios is still God. He just practiced. I agree though. He isn't right either.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Ponytails

• Shenanigans Pony
  • Trade Count: (+134)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I love Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 01:40:15 PM »
I too am watching the tv series.  I've read all the books and short stories, and saw the movie. 

IMHO The movie was horrid.  Casting was really bad, especially for Jase (sorry!).  Some parts were ok, but overall I'm actually excited to see this re-made as a tv series instead of movies.  It seems like they will be ale to do more with a tv show then a movie.

I do like the series so far.  Yes, they changed some stuff, but that was going to happen regardless.  Very few novels-to-movie/tv stay completely true to the book.  LOTR and HP were the closest BUT even then there were wholesale cut and edits.  Thus far it seems the TV series is closer to the books then the movie was.  I lie the casting choices much better then in the movie.  My one tiny problem is how Clarys red hair in the TV series is totally super-saturated.  Even in  the total darkness of the City of Bones it literally GLOWS red. 
My G3 grail is LS Pinkie Pie MIB.  If you have her for sale or trade, I WILL pay.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 04:04:58 PM »
I too am watching the tv series.  I've read all the books and short stories, and saw the movie. 

IMHO The movie was horrid.  Casting was really bad, especially for Jase (sorry!).  Some parts were ok, but overall I'm actually excited to see this re-made as a tv series instead of movies.  It seems like they will be ale to do more with a tv show then a movie.

I do like the series so far.  Yes, they changed some stuff, but that was going to happen regardless.  Very few novels-to-movie/tv stay completely true to the book.  LOTR and HP were the closest BUT even then there were wholesale cut and edits.  Thus far it seems the TV series is closer to the books then the movie was.  I lie the casting choices much better then in the movie.  My one tiny problem is how Clarys red hair in the TV series is totally super-saturated.  Even in  the total darkness of the City of Bones it literally GLOWS red. 

Yep I agree about Clary's hair, they could have made it subtle and not like her hair is on fire or something.

Post Merge: January 29, 2016, 04:07:24 PM

I've been watching, but to be honest, everything about it is infuriating. They've changed EVERYTHING. None of the characters are right and neither is the story. But Raphael could say God. He practiced over and over with Magnus, when he was first turned, until he could. Dios is still God. He just practiced. I agree though. He isn't right either.

Yep I remember now about the God thing.  Like I said it's been a while since I read the books. ;)  I have so many complaints about the movie and yet I still watch it, because I want to see the story play out I guess. (lol)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:08:04 PM by Majesty »

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 06:29:44 PM »
Im watching as well, more out of morbid curiosity than the expectation of a good series XD I didnt even bother seeing the movie because I felt like it would just be terrible.

I agree with the above comments, my main complaints are Clary's hair and valley girl manner, Izzy's sluttiness and the fact that her actress is Spanish and cannot keep an American accent to save her life, and I also really hate the portrayal of the institute. The institute to me always felt kind of like Hogwarts, old stone and passageways etc, this feels more like a futuristic depiction of the FBI or something. Plus its so crowded! The institute was always quiet in the books. And then Hodge...ohhhhh Hodge lol  :nope:

I do like the portrayel of Simon so far, even though he has random six pack abs  :drunk:

It was okaaay but then I saw the previw for next week
Spoiler
where Magnus says he fed Clary's memories to a memory demon  :facepalm:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 05:59:42 AM »
I have only read the first book which was not good but not entirely bad either. It didn't leave any yearning to read the rest tho so I just read a recap online. I saw the movie which was horrid and have now watched two episodes of the series and the number of times I hid my face in the pillow is uncountable. The casting was really bad and the actors cannot act! Especially the girl who plays Clary. When she came home and found her mom missing was painful to watch and Isabelle is just plain wrong. The only thing they seem to have gotten right is Simon. I feel horrible for the author. However I have a feeling I will keep watching this anyway. I have a soft spot for the dreadful. Netflix is doing a really stupid thing at the moment with only releasing one episode a week for several shows so I let them pile up and watch in bulk.

Offline Ponytails

• Shenanigans Pony
  • Trade Count: (+134)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I love Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 06:28:48 PM »
.......and I also really hate the portrayal of the institute. The institute to me always felt kind of like Hogwarts, old stone and passageways etc, this feels more like a futuristic depiction of the FBI or something. Plus its so crowded! The institute was always quiet in the books.

Totally agree with you on that, though I do sort of like the high-tech feel of it, its not quite what I pictured in my mind...

It was okaaay but then I saw the preview for next week
Spoiler
where Magnus says he fed Clary's memories to a memory demon  :facepalm:

Yep.  Just watched last weeks episode, and that preview, and made my husband laugh as I was yelling things like "REALLY?!?!  LIKE REALLY?!?! c'mon man!"
My G3 grail is LS Pinkie Pie MIB.  If you have her for sale or trade, I WILL pay.

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 09:06:01 PM »
I've been watching it and it's just okay. I thought the movie was terrible. I hated the casting for Jace. The TV Jace is sooooooo much better. I don't mind TV Clary, but I agree about the hair. I do like Simons casting too. And I love  TV Magnus (but mostly I love the actor because he used to be on glee lol).

I don't think the TV series is going to stick super close to the books and I'm okay with that. I'm interested to see what they do with it.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 01:41:19 PM »
I could be wrong too but wasn't the hotel originally called Hotel Dumont and someone used grafitti or something to call it the Hotel Dumort?  Also, wasn't the hotel in ruin or abandoned?  In the TV series it's brand new.  I am comparing the movie to the series again and like I said it's been a while since I read the books.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal