collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Oxiclean safe on all Ponies? + A question on Pindot  (Read 988 times)

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Oxiclean safe on all Ponies? + A question on Pindot
« on: January 22, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »
Hi everyone,
I recently acquired a G1 Glory with all sorts of lovely pindot rashes and spots on her legs and partly on her body. I was aware of the pindot when I purchased her, so it wasn't a surprise to me that it was present, but it made me so uncomfortable to see when she arrived. Initially I ignored it and left her with my main collection, having read pindot doesn't typically spread in all environments and is actually a form of ingrained dirt. However, I started to worry and became convinced the stupid stuff would spread, and I decided I needed to find out more.

So I did what any normal person would do and go onto the internet......

.............. and what a mistake that was  :drunk:

50% of what I read said pindot is contagious no matter what and its only a matter of time until my ponies meet their moldy demise
50% also said pindot is fine and won't spread, and that it is actually a form of ingrained dirt that is generally harmless to ponies

So my first question is: Is Pindot the terrible spreadable plague that half the internet makes it out to be? Or is it a benign misunderstood dirt clot that chooses to cling to plastic in the desperate attempt to be part of a My Little Pony?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't tell if this stuff is a genuine threat or not, and so I ended up oxycleaning the lower half of Glory (where the pindot was strongest) as well as two other random spots on her, to kill it. To my relief the stuff came off relatively easily, and the areas with more noticeable pindot have a significant decrease in boldness.

My question here is, is Oxyclean safe for all ponies (colors; I don't want to bleach anyone), will it bleach hair, and will it take off paint? I want to use it on a TAF Sugarberry with some very dark spots, but I fear for her strawberries. I also fear Glory is going to mutate to some weird distorted color because of the OC. I really hope she doesn't, as she is my favorite unicorn!

Someone please let me know, and educate me on this topic..
My Tumblr

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Karebearcntdwn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Oxiclean safe on all Ponies? + A question on Pindot
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 05:26:19 PM »
Pindot, from my understanding of it, is usually just in ground dirt that's made its way into the pores of the plastic. From this I would assume it won't spread.

Now for the oxyclean, I have sat ponies in the stuff for 24 hours and have never had a problem with it bleaching a pony or removing symbols. (I haven't had to wash a magic message pony with this stuff so I can't vouch for them.) People even clean and deodorize ponies by boiling them in an oxyclean water solution. If anything it may just make some ponies brighter in color. You can also place white ponies in hydrogen peroxide, you just need to remove all of their hair first. This isn't practical unless your pony is in need of a re-hair aswell. Usually though, just placing a pony in steaming hot water than using a fingernail to scratch at the harder to remove Pindot does the trick.

Hope this helps in some way.  :biggrin:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 10:18:54 PM »
Pindot is small surface imperfections (tiny divots) in the vinyl, which have gotten filled in with dirt from handling and play.  It is NOT contagious, not a disease, and does not spread (outside of the obvious 'if you roll ponies in the mud they'll pick it up' sense). 

Oxyclean is NOT safe for all ponies.  It can cause certain colors to run and stain, notably chartreuse is notorious and the neons like TAF Sugarberry are also dubious.  Hydrogen peroxide is even worse for Sugarberry - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,288819.0.html it'll turn her hair yellow.  She's not a good Oxyclean candidate unless bald, IMO.  It also strips Twinkle Eyes and Princess Pony medallion gems, metallic tinsel, and is not something you want to use carte blanche for all your cleaning needs. Sunfading is safer and generally recommended over harsh chemicals.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:27:48 PM by Baby Sugarberry »
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 05:02:40 AM »
I've had this Cuddles in an oxy bath overnight because she was all moldy inside; didn't go well with her symbol. It came right off when I dried her -.-

Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Karebearcntdwn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 06:03:20 AM »
Yeah magic message ponies have a clear and extremely thin film over their symbol, I almost ruined a windy by washing her with soap and water. ( I didn't notice an air pocket under the film)

Is sugarberries hair not like paradise hair? I've soaked a paradise for a couple days in oxyclean and never had any problems with the color running.

As for putting sugarberry into hydrogen peroxide, I did say that it wasn't good to do unless your pony needs a re-hair. Also something I didn't mention with the hydrogen peroxide, you need to set it somewhere very sunny. But like I said it's not practical for what you are talking about. If you have the sunlight and or patience of a saint sunfading is your best bet. But depending on how bad the spots are you might just have that pony sat in the sunlight for months.

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 09:08:52 AM »
Pindot, from my understanding of it, is usually just in ground dirt that's made its way into the pores of the plastic. From this I would assume it won't spread.

Now for the oxyclean, I have sat ponies in the stuff for 24 hours and have never had a problem with it bleaching a pony or removing symbols. (I haven't had to wash a magic message pony with this stuff so I can't vouch for them.) People even clean and deodorize ponies by boiling them in an oxyclean water solution. If anything it may just make some ponies brighter in color. You can also place white ponies in hydrogen peroxide, you just need to remove all of their hair first. This isn't practical unless your pony is in need of a re-hair aswell. Usually though, just placing a pony in steaming hot water than using a fingernail to scratch at the harder to remove Pindot does the trick.

Hope this helps in some way.  :biggrin:

Thanks so much! This was very helpful! Glory came out A-ok, so I can totally vouch for white ponies being fine in the OC bath.

Pindot is small surface imperfections (tiny divots) in the vinyl, which have gotten filled in with dirt from handling and play.  It is NOT contagious, not a disease, and does not spread (outside of the obvious 'if you roll ponies in the mud they'll pick it up' sense). 

Oxyclean is NOT safe for all ponies.  It can cause certain colors to run and stain, notably chartreuse is notorious and the neons like TAF Sugarberry are also dubious.  Hydrogen peroxide is even worse for Sugarberry - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,288819.0.html it'll turn her hair yellow.  She's not a good Oxyclean candidate unless bald, IMO.  It also strips Twinkle Eyes and Princess Pony medallion gems, metallic tinsel, and is not something you want to use carte blanche for all your cleaning needs. Sunfading is safer and generally recommended over harsh chemicals.

Thank you for letting me know! I have had issues with a G1 SS Shady's chartreuse hair bleeding like crazy when I boiled her, so I can only imagine the horrors of putting yellow hair in OC.  I had no idea about Sugarberry, however. Might be a cool idea if I choose to customize one some day with yellow hair! Seriously, how does pink become yellow??
I am glad I caught this before dunking my TE's in for a good "brightening" up, I didn't realize the chemicals would destroy their eyes. That would have been awful!

Pindot is small surface imperfections (tiny divots) in the vinyl, which have gotten filled in with dirt from handling and play.  It is NOT contagious, not a disease, and does not spread (outside of the obvious 'if you roll ponies in the mud they'll pick it up' sense)

This put me at ease ^^

I've had this Cuddles in an oxy bath overnight because she was all moldy inside; didn't go well with her symbol. It came right off when I dried her -.-

Oh god, that is awful! I am so sorry! I guess this stuff must be good and bad depending on which pony is being treated?

Yeah magic message ponies have a clear and extremely thin film over their symbol, I almost ruined a windy by washing her with soap and water. ( I didn't notice an air pocket under the film)

Is sugarberries hair not like paradise hair? I've soaked a paradise for a couple days in oxyclean and never had any problems with the color running.

As for putting sugarberry into hydrogen peroxide, I did say that it wasn't good to do unless your pony needs a re-hair. Also something I didn't mention with the hydrogen peroxide, you need to set it somewhere very sunny. But like I said it's not practical for what you are talking about. If you have the sunlight and or patience of a saint sunfading is your best bet. But depending on how bad the spots are you might just have that pony sat in the sunlight for months.

I have rehaired a SS Paradise (link in sig) and I used peroxide on her before the rehair began. What was left of her hair to begin with became a fried and faded mess (although she became whiter!) and I am honestly not planning on using hydrogen peroxide for anything unless I plan on rehairing something like that again. Sugarberry will not be taking the dive ^^

^ I have heard a lot of good things about sunfading and I want to try it, but, I do fear that hair coloration will fade. As much as I like to rehair, I want to keep my ponies with their original hair as long as possible. Will the hair fade out as well?

Thank you to everyone who responded on this topic! It's been very helpful!
My Tumblr

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 11:18:30 AM »
Paradise and Sugarberry do not share a hair color - Paradise is more of a neon orange, while Sugarberry is bright red, no orange overtones.  Even hair colors that look visually similar can come from chemically very different formulae, and, to make matters worse, two batches of hair chemically identical can experience different environmental conditions over the years that makes them look quite different from each other, yellowing or fading.  That's why new nylon often doesn't match exactly to a vintage pony, particularly for whites, some greens and reds/pinks.

When sunfading, any parts of the pony which aren't to be treated (such as hair), are covered in something, usually aluminum foil.  Doing so prevents the UV from damaging the hair.  Temporary white paint is used by some to cover up eye and symbol paint.  It's still something you need to keep a close eye on, but in general tends to be safer than most cleaners.  That said, certain white/pale ponies are known to 'toast' or burn in sunlight, so if you're doing white ones, make sure to check that out first.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »
Is Pindot the terrible spreadable plague that half the internet makes it out to be? Or is it a benign misunderstood dirt clot that chooses to cling to plastic in the desperate attempt to be part of a My Little Pony?

It is absolutely nothing other than ingrained dirt that has built up over the years - dust which has got into the plastic pores and become lodged there. It is not going to spread to your other ponies and in fact it wont even spread on the pony you have if she has been cleaned.

Is Oxyclean safe for all ponies (colors; I don't want to bleach anyone), will it bleach hair, and will it take off paint?

While I am not a massive fan of oxi its only because I know it does occasionally cause issues - and anything which could potentially cause damage is not something I like to encourage use of. All that being said, lots and lots of members have incredible success with it. I just choose to avoid it most of the time. Honestly I find very few ponies have anything which cannot be dealt with by gentler options. So its very much a personal call. It shouldnt (although it can on rare occasions or if used with water that is too hot) bleach hair or remove paint. As Baby Sugarberry has said, try not to use it on colours known to bleed.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »
:shocked: Poor Cuddles!

Pindot won't spread, its like dirt or permanent blackheads on ponies that you can't pop.

I wouldn't use oxyclean on TEs, cuz it will take the pretty shine off their eyes, I've used oxyclean spray to clean and  brighten up SS ponies.

I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide on anything. It will ruin plastic.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:20:36 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal