collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is this pony legit  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Is this pony legit
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »
I think the small symbol versions of Nightlight and Raindrop also have something...maybe Pat Pend - smeared off the hoof. I guess it was no longer pending by that point? :)

I have always been fascinated by how some Spanish ponies are NC and some have Spain written on in that funky writing. I think the handful I have are all blank hooved, but the fact that a few sneak through into mainstream (Sundance, the loving family parents) make me wonder if anyone has ever found one of those with "Spain" on the hoof...?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 04:13:22 PM »
Slyon :) it is very tricky sometimes and it's best to ask if you feel unsure. I have no doubt there will be folks into dodgy dealings.

The way the hoof is scraped does look like a tamper rather than something "factory". The same goes for Greek hoof marks and some others too.

The German release Princess ponies have the PAT PEND mark removed in a similar scraped off type fashion. It was a surprise to me when I first saw it!

I sometimes take it for granted that over the last 13 years I've looked at an awful lot of hoof markings and so I've perhaps forgotten how it might appear to someone else.

Love pkw xxx

Oh pkw, this would be the FIRST place I would go to if I  was ever unsure about mlp ANYTHING!!!  ;)

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 12:21:10 PM »
Slyons :bigups: I have to look things up if I'm unsure still ;)

Taffeta yes they do indeed have blobs to cover up the PAT PEND stamp. I have a funny feeling that the NC and Spain market ponies were made in different factories. I'm thinking of MB and Breker....it's a whole other thread.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »

Taffeta yes they do indeed have blobs to cover up the PAT PEND stamp. I have a funny feeling that the NC and Spain market ponies were made in different factories. I'm thinking of MB and Breker....it's a whole other thread.

Love pkw xxx

No, I think they where all made in the same place, but used different methods depending on who did what.
The Brekar-MB theory is only valid for the Piggies. All the other ponies are made by MB. Brekar stopped making ponies after MB got the rights from Hasbro. And after, the MB log disappears and we get the Hasbro logo on the cards. Although I don't know from which year on that happens. I would have to go through all the MIB-MOC images I have and find the chronology.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »

Love pkw xxx

No, I think they where all made in the same place, but used different methods depending on who did what.
The Brekar-MB theory is only valid for the Piggies. All the other ponies are made by MB. Brekar stopped making ponies after MB got the rights from Hasbro. And after, the MB log disappears and we get the Hasbro logo on the cards. Although I don't know from which year on that happens. I would have to go through all the MIB-MOC images I have and find the chronology.

Thank you both, that's really interesting. I don't know enough about Spanish ponies, although they were around right back when I was still involved with Italian ponies...I don't think we knew 100% then that NC were Spanish, that came later, but I know that I have a couple of loose Rainbow Ponies from then that someone sent me (one is pretty wrecked) and they were both NC not Italians.

It made me wonder about how and why Sundance and the Loving Families slipped in but nothing else. Especially given the UK market, where there was a gaping hole in the early unicorns, pegasi and rainbow ponies = both of which were extensively covered by Italian and Spanish production, but, although the art styles are similar on the cards, they were NOT exported to the UK in any respect.

And MB (Milton Bradley) were annexed by Hasbro, I think, at some point in the middle...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 04:48:15 AM »
What I find particularly odd is that there are widely issued NC versions of the Loving Family adults but not of the babies, despite being the same set. and I have a Spanish carded Loving Family pony who is made in Hong Kong! (Or China, I forget which off the top of my head). Makes me wonder if there was a shortage somewhere along the line and they had to find some way of filling that.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 12:15:09 PM »
Thanks LadyPinwheel for posting! Thank you for that information, I got mixed up with the piggys :P You are right, all the regular adult ponies do appear on an MB card (or at least all the ones I've looked at)

LadyG :faint: ok, that IS confusing!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 12:29:26 PM »
Well, there's always the mysterious Baby Buggy with Baby Cuddles Made in Spain on the box, but a HK baby inside...

I have wondered for a while whether there are some HK stamped ponies floating around that actually came out of a Spanish factory which forgot to remove the location marks on the hooves...

Although I think loving family parents were made in HK in some of the US issues? I don't remember them being here - I thought we just had China and NC, but some of those NC have very poorly removed HK stamps that are still partly visible. You can tell they're NC, not HK, but...

I also wonder whether those NC ponies are genuinely Spanish in the way we know the others are. I would love to know if the Spanish language release of carded Loving Family NC adults say hecho en Espana on them or not...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 02:58:46 PM »
Well, there's always the mysterious Baby Buggy with Baby Cuddles Made in Spain on the box, but a HK baby inside...

I have wondered for a while whether there are some HK stamped ponies floating around that actually came out of a Spanish factory which forgot to remove the location marks on the hooves...

Although I think loving family parents were made in HK in some of the US issues? I don't remember them being here - I thought we just had China and NC, but some of those NC have very poorly removed HK stamps that are still partly visible. You can tell they're NC, not HK, but...

I also wonder whether those NC ponies are genuinely Spanish in the way we know the others are. I would love to know if the Spanish language release of carded Loving Family NC adults say hecho en Espana on them or not...

I have the baby Buggy with Cuddles from my childhood and it's HK. I think it was the last set that was released with a pony in it? At least here. I think that by that point ponies might have come from outside and the boxes printed here. (?)
At least, my baby cuddles looks nothing like the spanish babies. BTW, do you have a photo of the spanish box? Because I only remember the one I had as a child. But since I collect as an adult, I have never seen one in Spanish. Except from the one from Argentina  :P

I have the backcard from Daddy Flower Bouquet, and it says Made in Valencia, Spain.

ETA: Just noticed that in the card, Baby sister Apple Delight has inverted colors :p
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:07:24 PM by LadyPinwheel »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 04:14:28 PM »
Ah, then that does clear that up. Clearly even mainstreamed NC ponies were Spanish. :)

The box for Cuddles - I don't. I can't find mine, although I know I did once have it - but I know LadyG has it. I don't know if she has pictures of it though it sometimes comes up on ebay U.K. I think it was the final release of the buggy here in the UK. I seem to remember the rainbow is slightly different, and closer to the rainbow on Kiss Curl's box (Kiss Curl being dated 1987 but for real purposes, early 1988. She didn't have a sticker so I tend to think of her as moving towards 1988).

It's not a Spanish box so much as a UK box that says baby Cuddles Made in Spain on it. In English. It;s very confusing...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 09:28:58 AM »
The only line in English on that back card is where it says 'Made in Valencia, Spain'? That makes me think it may have been a last minute addition...
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal