collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ok whats the feelings on White Windy?  (Read 3898 times)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Ok whats the feelings on White Windy?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2016, 02:28:29 PM »
I'm in the UK and my childhood Starshine has the more muted mane colours (the darker red/pink).

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

However I have a MOC UK Starshine who has the brighter pink hair.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 02:31:35 PM »
I had never seen a purple Windy until someone on the Arena showed me theirs. Boy was I stunned by the difference. I dont recall my childhood Windy being purple ever (it was a long time ago and I don't remember everything) and most Windys I see on eBay are some shade of white. So faded I guess? Or maybe they both exist.

Post Merge: February 17, 2016, 02:32:18 PM

I'm in the UK and my childhood Starshine has the more muted mane colours (the darker red/pink).

However I have a MOC UK Starshine who has the brighter pink hair.

Love pkw xxx

They're beautiful. :lovey:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »
Awwww nostalgia alert!! I had Starshine as a kid! Seeing them MOC somehow brings back a little extra magic!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 04:21:32 PM »
I had never seen a purple Windy until someone on the Arena showed me theirs. Boy was I stunned by the difference. I dont recall my childhood Windy being purple ever (it was a long time ago and I don't remember everything) and most Windys I see on eBay are some shade of white. So faded I guess? Or maybe they both exist.

I really think it's unstable pigments. Sometimes the toy never was the "right" colour. and, some tints it does seem to happen with far more regularity. I can't say 100% but I really would bet if this were the case. (In the case of white windy, I do agree with Kasin, being an error, but not one with much value. get the right issue windy and you can replicate a white windy. We cannot replicate a white bluebell at home.)

the couple times I was able to pick something at the store, or be at the store choosing something for my brothers I would always ask to look over the girls/pony section and remember some details vividly, like some ponies already being discolored, or having faded hair brand new in the 80's, or having a white ribbon instead of a blue one like in the picture *when it really should be blue. other things supporting my guess, were some of the other childhood owners who were kind enough to chit chat a bit about what they noticed when I purchased their collections. One had a special attachment to her posey because of her beautiful pink hair. she wanted posey but at the store she was brought to they all had white hair while the back-card had pink. (not near a window) and this girl fussed until her mother tried another shop. :) another ordered scribbles and dabbles directly from hasbro and she kept them immaculate. she was a bit older and was surprised/upset to learn dabble should have had green in her hair, hers had always been faded (not the only person who remembers getting her without the proper colour). I assume some things fade over time, and sometimes with some of those items the dye process had never been done correctly in the first place (like early ponies who should have had a green ribbon, and show up MOC with a yellow one, with almost imperceptible blue pigment). It seems to keep happening when red and blue pigments are involved. So, I am betting those are the problematic base colours. I could also recreate this fading myself on the right piece. :)

While I have been collecting seriously since the late 90's *as soon as I was able. I could be wrong though. I have been incorrect on details in the past. I didn't get many ponies new and I am going off second hand information as well.
Spoiler
I feel I have a decent enough understanding of a few whys. I am far too obsessive compulsive to have everything organized correctly, various items categorized. and get things perfect with accessories. The fact I only received ***9 ponies new as a child getting this information was even more of an uphill battle:  originally trusting inaccurate ID sources, not having a huge budget as an adult. It's slowly pieced together for me. I do know more about the generic US line then anything else, because well, it was my first goal and budget wise buying from the US is easiest and we got almost everything the US did with the odd minor changes. I buy repeats all the time to verify a new detail.  I adore early ponies and I do notice the all US, they can vary to a large degree! and most of the fading/missdye issues I see in the early stuff. (FF cotton candy, seashell, windy, yellowey green, soft blue or some of the deeper blue tail ribbons, TE bright eyes, adult seawinkle off the top of my head (later lots of purple ponies seem to fade to a greyish))

***funny part, (TLDR: rant) it's not that I didn't LIKE ponies as much then. I begged for them on every special occasion the ONLY toy I ever wanted. After a set age I was completely discouraged from it. and my parents still poke fun at how I would get  frantic as if a house were on fire as I smacked the windows BEGGING them to stop as they drove past a yard sale with a large childhood collection that looked intact with all the bits and pieces out on the lawn, and they'd touch the gas a touch harder.  :blush: They never tried to be mean back then, they just didn't want me wasting money and space on something I "wouldn't like later" and they never saw the value in them. The early (when things still were cheap and ponies were "lame") yard-sale finds I did get were mostly with my friends mother who collects dolls- so it wasn't all bad.

Thank you for that info PKW. :) I haven't bought a large amounts of original collections from the UK yet, the brighter pink just happened to be the ones I keep getting. and windy out of those are the same as my 84' US reissue. I guessed you did perhaps get both types. :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:17:31 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 04:57:04 AM »
I'll check my childhood Skydancer when I get home, but I don't remember her having the brighter hair, and she was definitely on the vertical card (still have it :) )

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 08:20:27 AM »
Sorry this is swaying off topic Lady G. :) But thank you as well. I have images of some of the UK Hasbro checklists and online info to create my UK list- nice to switch those out from gray to black font with the info you and PKW kindly provided. but the stuff I found, you did get the same 6 characters two years.

I have an old UK shop photo where the ponies appear to have the same muted shade we got with our original 6. sold alongside earlier ponies. (again, and old yellowed photo can lie, but that was my assumption)
so I will guess your slightly brighter rainbows came the year after. (like ours, the ones who ended up re-issued anyway) and appeared again in the leaflet.

Original Windy can fade too, but not to the degree the reissue can. The reissue- and there I'm thinking it not every single one, some are more faulty then others pops up with this problem. a sunny window however anyone can have their very own 2nd edition white windy. :( I accidentally sold my nice unfaded 2nd, oops. I will find her again, have to make a note with a friend to keep her eye out- she ignores those six at toy shows.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2016, 09:22:25 PM »
I think my childhood Skydancer and Parasol had the rose (muted) pink stripe.

However, all six of the original Rainbow ponies seem to turn up in those two variations (bright pink stripe vs rose stripe), though only Starshine, Windy, Moonstone, and Parasol were rereleased in Year 3.

Perhaps Hasbro actually had different factories in Hong Kong, and some ponies came from one while others came from the other. That would also explain the weirdness of the big-head / small-head Flutter ponies two years later.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:26:45 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 10:37:24 PM »
Again, going off topic. but LadyMoondancer if you see a MOC image of the original 83' US issue on the original card with brighter pink I am very interested in seeing it. :) I've found the odd rare brighter *not reissued* loose, but do find UK/Euro stuff off and on (and I am not close to a hasbro dumping ground) I know we didn't get here, so thus-far I have been blaming those on globetrotting ponies.  ;)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2016, 10:33:51 AM »
Sometimes it's hard to wrap one's head around the sheer scope production must have encompassed to generate the massive number of ponies that existed - there were probably dozens, if not hundreds of individual factories churning them out.

If we go under the assumption that 'white' Windys are caused by UV breakdown, it also explains the often blue symbols - the red pigment in the purple degrades at the same time it does in the vinyl plastic, ergo you're left with a white-ish body and blue symbols.  The blue dye in the paint/glitter seems to be hardier than the one used in the vinyl mix.

Some batches had more color fast pigments for either body, symbol or both, thus leading  to all these variations in deterioration over the years.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2016, 02:29:36 PM »
Nothing wrong  with a good slightly OT conversation! And it is still partly relevant ;)

Checked and my childhood Skydancer is the muted one like I thought, but I do think you're right that we had the same ones in two years (and typically I think they stuck around longer than that a lot of the time). The backcard for mine is dated 1984, but she wouldn't have been bought then ('85 at the earliest) and I suspect they were the same anyway. She is one of the few remaining ones with a price sticker (suggesting I picked her myself) and it says £3.75, which makes me think she was one of my earlier ones anyway. Although it says 'Our Price' (I presume not like the music store), so she could have been discounted.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2016, 06:11:56 AM »
I think White Windy is faded but if we're going with faded White Blue Belle as a genuine variant then I believe White Windy should also be considered the same :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal