collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Taming hair on Brazilians?  (Read 653 times)

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
Taming hair on Brazilians?
« on: January 19, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
I recently started collecting Cotton Candy and all her varieties, now I finally received my Brazil variant but sadly her hair is a mess! It's almost a 'fro and I've spent all day trying to tame it using my common methods (fabric softener & low heat hair straightener, hot water & paper wraps, using a fine toothed comb) and it's still very frizzy. Currently I've managed to get it to wrap around her neck a bit instead of standing on end like a frightened cat, but I am at a loss of dealing with her due to how very demanding the hair is!
Any tips or suggestions? Have anyone here actually tamed the hair of a Brazil pony?
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
Re: Taming hair on Brazilians?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:57:57 AM »
Oh! I was going to mention the hot water tip, but I see you have already used it. I really can't help you much. I use the common methods too. Maybe letting if sit for 24h with conditioner and then iron it? Dunno... Some ponies are tricky.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »
They can take a bit more heat than you think, and often it's beneficial to go back over the hair again after washing off the conditioner/softener and letting it dry.  I've gone back over several of mine and improved their hair significantly.  I will see if I can dig up some before and after shots, but all I ever use is good conditioner and a straightening iron. 

Offline Emfen

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 01:05:39 PM »
They can take a bit more heat than you think, and often it's beneficial to go back over the hair again after washing off the conditioner/softener and letting it dry.
I guess this is where I must be failing then? I recently defrizzed a Tornado, but I never run my irons hot as I have melted hair on ponies in the past (g2 and G3 mainly but still). I combine dampened hair w softener/conditioner in and use the iron (which I count seconds on to get the optimal heat before turning off), comb out the ends if needed and take only small segments at a time. I noticed the Brazils hair is much more, thick and sturdy as compared to my US cotton, feels more like the hair on my LLL fakie cat in how coarse it is.
So perhaps more time when wrapped and heat?

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »
I don't time anything, but I have a straightener with a temperature dial.  Brazilians (and tinsel, all colors) get up to a 5, and non-nirvanas get up to 8, depending.  It doesn't go over 10.  I have never melted hair and sometimes I wonder why because I am not the most attentive when doing this kind of thing!  (I spent more time/money on my ponies' hair than I do on my own.)

I do basically what you do though - small sections, focusing mainly on the ends, brushing or using a child's toothbrush to straighten any hairs that are snarled up.  I just run the iron through at a slow, even pace.  I'll go over the same piece a few times if needed, then I wash the conditioner off in cold water and let the hair dry, then if it needs it do it all again.  Brazil hair is, as you've described, much MUCH different than any other hair, lol! 

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 07:14:15 AM »
I am a wimp! I have only ever used a low heat on my Brazil pony's hair. My friend savetheponies is a hair wizard though, she has got Brazil hair to be like new.

I am pretty sure she uses the same method as Skeen, tiny sections at a time and wet hair!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline SaveThePonies

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Moonstone Crazy mum to a Minty Crazy daughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 03:42:21 AM »
The main thing to remember when using a high temperature is to keep the hair wet. Very small sections at a time exactly as Skeen described ;) I often go over the hair several times, letting it dry and doing it all over again. Sometimes if the hair is particularly frizzy I'll leave it to soak overnight in a hot solution of wig conditioner.

Time and patience ;)
Looking for Moonstones, Minty's and Nirvana Babies  :shocked:

Fairytails Birds face book page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/FairyTails.Birds/

Offline Emfen

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 06:52:34 AM »
Interesting. I recently went to only using fabric softener, I've managed tornados messy hair bot not yet my brazil cotton. I let her hair relax for a few days, I'll try again once I have time free for her. :)

Offline Harabel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 07:24:15 AM »
Brazilian's nylon looks very poor and with low quality in comparison with the other countries. At least, in my opinion, since than all my brazilians childhood were in a very, very poor state.. :huh: And all that I've seen everywhere, looks with a lot, lot of frizz. I hope you have good luck with yours!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »
It is possible to find Brazil ponies with nice hair :) but the type of hair used goes frizzy so easily.

I remember another Brazilian member saying she remembers combing her ponies hair when she got them and they went frizzy right away :(

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal