collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: PC: Takara/Osharena pony sales advice needed  (Read 3764 times)

locopuff

• Trade Count: (0)
PC: Takara/Osharena pony sales advice needed
« on: January 13, 2016, 01:25:51 PM »
Hello!  I need help.

Five years ago, I was going through a tight financial spot and I had posted this original MLP arena thread asking for advice and price checking two original Takara ponies I've had since I was a child.  The old forum has links to my Flickr which has some fuzzy photos of them, though I plan to take much better ones.

Ultimately, I was kind of overwhelmed by their value and ended up not selling them because the process intimidated me (also I am mildly attached to one of them) and my financial issue blew over, so it was no longer urgent that I sell them.  However, I definitely plan to sell at least one of them in approximately 2 weeks because I have some upcoming expenses I want to try to get in front of. 

The ponies have just been stored in a box since I had originally asked about them, so a collector would clearly give them more love than I have in the last 5 years.

Before I post one or both of them for sale, I was hoping to get some advice from the collectors/potential buyers here about the sales process, what kind of sale price I should expect, and how best to demonstrate that these are legitimate ponies I got in either '86 or '87.  Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide :)

How I Have These
My family was stationed on an American air force base called Yokota near Tokyo in Japan from 1984 to 1988.  I was a huge MLP fan when I was 7 or so, and that just happened to be when my brother, sister and I were contracted by a modeling agency in Tokyo who were sourcing American children to model clothing for children's clothing magazines (mainly, a company called BeBe).  My contract didn't last long because I was too fat and old (lol), but with my paycheck, I went to a toy store in or near the LaForet mall in Harajuku and purchased a Japanese My Little Pony I had been coveting as well as the Takara Jenny doll.  For Christmas that year, I received two more adults and a set of the babies, which included a baby carriage and some other accessories.

When I got older and was getting ready to go to college, I gave most of my ponies to my cello instructor's young daughter.  I'm not sure if I included the Takara babies, but I think I did.  One of the Takara ponies was in a box of toys that I had left at my mother's house, and since she and I no longer speak, I don't have much hope of ever seeing it again.  However, I still have these two!

Verification/Authentication
I understand that Takara ponies are very rare, and I don't have any sort of established reputation in the MLP fandom or collector community, so what is the best way to show that these are authentic?  I do have a friend in the fandom who has seen these herself in person and can vouch for me and for them, but I'm also willing to take closer/better pictures and make a video and/or answer questions about where I got them and whatever else I have the means to do.

Price
Have there been any sales of Takara ponies recently?  Any idea of what they are currently going for?

I have one each of Ochame ponies "Sarasara-hair" and "Fuwafuwa-hair" (as my friend C-Puff has informed me).

Method of Sale
When I originally asked, several people recommended an auction with payments so collectors who aren't rich have the opportunity to purchase them, as well.  Since then, Ebay/Paypal appears to now offer credit or payment installation options for people buying items worth more than $100.  I admit I am not very experienced with selling/shipping items at all since I usually just buy used books on Half.com or Amazon.  Would Ebay/Paypal be the best way to sell them, or is there a better/more preferred option?  I want to provide anyone who would like to buy these the opportunity to do so while also protecting myself as a seller and also protecting the buyer.  I want this to be a safe, legitimate sale.

Shipping
How to package and ship them, and what cost?  I'm assuming there is a preferred way to ship expensive ponies but I have no idea what it would be.

Thanks again for any help you can provide!

(moving to Nirvana ~ hathorcat)

[topic split love pkw xxx]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:17:51 AM by pinkkittywinks »

Offline Nonnavlis

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
Re: PC: Takara pony sales advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 01:31:21 PM »
Wow, I remember that post!

I adore these ponies, but I'm afraid I don't know too much about their value or the best way to sell them. I can tell you, though, that they aren't called Takara ponies, but actually "Osharena Pony" which I think translates to "Pretty Fashion Pony" or something like that? I used to know, but I've forgotten. So if you do list them somewhere, you'll want to include that in the title as well for people who will be searching for them by that name. Takara is just the company.

locopuff

Re: PC: Takara/Osharena pony sales advice needed
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »
@Nonnavlis  Thanks for the recommendation!  I just edited the topic.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »
I would think around $1000 each, I would suggest taking offers on them. This way they will find their value. I would set a reserve, so they don't sell for less than you are willing to let them go for.

I would send them tracked and insured, I've no idea on the cost, you will have to ask at your local post office. I know tracking and insurance is expensive, but it's a $1000 worth of pony you are sending :)

There are some useful hints in the link

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,365632.0.html

A word of warning about payment plans: you need to make it clear whether or not the payments are refundable should your buyer back out part way through the sale.

I hope this helps.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline C-Puff

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:43:12 PM »
Hey! C-Puff here!
Since We're dealing with Takara ponies I'm just here to vouch for Locopuff that she does indeed own both of these girls :D (and, incidentally, they're in very good condition and she still has some of their accessories such as their clothing.

Since I know there are some bad sellers out there, I thought I'd just pipe in. Especially since Locopuff isn't a pony collector so it might seem strange that she'd just appear with a sale like this out of nowhere XD But she's legit. Promise.

Incidentally, I took some photos of these two girls when I was visiting her last which I'll just add here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

locopuff

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:19 PM »
Yay!  Thank you, C-Puff!

And thank you, pinkkittywinks!  I will be sure to read that closely.  I can use as much help as I can get :)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 02:31:36 PM »
You are welcome ^.^

Even though more of these girls have popped up, they are still very hard to find and sought after.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 11:00:40 PM »
cute!!!!  ^.^ ^.^
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 11:29:18 PM »
nirvana forum is a great place to ask for a pc as many of the big spender frequent the nirvana section more than the corral. I would also expect them to sell for $1000 maybe more each as pkw has said

Offline MLPforever

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Like Fluffy Bottom Plush on Facebook!
    • View Profile
    • Fluffy Bottom Plush
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »
Locopuff, I am an established takara collector, and I would agree with what is being said here. They are authentic takaras, the one with poofy pink hair is FuwaFuwa, the one with straight yellow hair is SaraSara. I have been searching for SaraSara for some time and will be PMing you.

Takaras in this line usually go between 1200-3000 and it depends completely on condition, demand, etc. The high end of that range is for ponies that come with their original outfits, brushes, and boxes. Prices rise and fall almost as much as they do with Greek ponies. But that is the general range :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 03:57:42 PM by MLPforever »
Check out my etsy shop for beautiful handmade plush animals! Commission me for your own tiny MLP plushie! And please like Fluffy Bottom Plush on Facebook for special discounts and progress photos!

https://www.facebook.com/fluffybottomplush

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 03:41:08 PM »
This is so exciting you've owned them since childhood! I'm so curious...what did the third adult Takara look like, do you remember?
She could be Blue with Darker Blue Hair, Green with Green Hair, Yellow with Pink Hair, or Pink with Purple hair.

Just super curious :)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 03:42:56 PM by shelvesofwhimsy »

Offline MLPforever

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Fluffy Bottom Plush
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 03:44:32 PM »
Also, paypal is the best way to send and receive money, in my opinion. Almost every collector online has a paypal account.

I would stay away from ebay, to be honest. They dont do the best job of protecting their sellers when things to awry. I would take offers here on the arena. Just let people comment or PM you with their offers. That is the way I bought all three of my adult takaras. :)

Check out my etsy shop for beautiful handmade plush animals! Commission me for your own tiny MLP plushie! And please like Fluffy Bottom Plush on Facebook for special discounts and progress photos!

locopuff

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 06:41:14 PM »
@MLPforever  Thank you!  Good to know.  I will be photographing and posting for private bids per the advice I've received this week :)

@shelvesofwhimsy  The third one I had was the one people are calling Pinky :)  I didn't like Milky because the pink Takara pony hair was horrible (texture and visually).  lol

Offline MLPforever

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Fluffy Bottom Plush
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 10:04:56 PM »
Thats awesome! I've already sent you a PM ;)

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 10:50:22 PM »
@MLPforever  Thank you!  Good to know.  I will be photographing and posting for private bids per the advice I've received this week :)

@shelvesofwhimsy  The third one I had was the one people are calling Pinky :)  I didn't like Milky because the pink Takara pony hair was horrible (texture and visually).  lol

Oh yes! I love Pinky too!
It's strange because Milky does have a very special texture to her hair lol, I can understanding not liking it as a kid XD
Do you happen to remember seeing the other two Ochame girls on the shelves, the Blue and Green ponies? I'm sure it's tough to remember so no pressure :)
They haven't been seen in the community :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal