collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you like your name?  (Read 6789 times)

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your name?
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2016, 04:45:18 AM »
I like how unique my first name (Tessa) is, but I've only ever seen one piece of merchandise with it on it - a numberplate :P
My middle name, Ann, is handed down through the eldest female child of each generation, so my mum and Nana (mum's mum) have it as their middle name too.
Surname-wise, I really like mine given that it's a corruption of 'Fable', and I even use that as a basis for my pen-name type thing that I use when I have to give my real name, Tess Fabled, as technically it isn't lying.... :P
Mum's maiden name is a corruption of the word 'acorn' and I find that pretty cool too!
I finally found my grail! :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
I like my name, although like Jessica and Jenny and Katie (and all derivatives) it was quite common growing up in the 80s: Sarah. With an "h", thank you.

I am thoroughly bemused and bewildered however, at the misspellings I've seen... Sahara, Sarha, and once my husband's grandmother even wrote Sharaha on my birthday card. What!? C'mon, Grandma! My name's in the Bible, for Heaven's sake! lol.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2016, 05:06:42 PM »
I like my name, although like Jessica and Jenny and Katie (and all derivatives) it was quite common growing up in the 80s: Sarah. With an "h", thank you.

I am thoroughly bemused and bewildered however, at the misspellings I've seen... Sahara, Sarha, and once my husband's grandmother even wrote Sharaha on my birthday card. What!? C'mon, Grandma! My name's in the Bible, for Heaven's sake! lol.

And I thought I had it bad with misspellings.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2016, 05:34:42 PM »
I'm not going to type my name here, although I know several people actually do know it, but it's a variant spelling of a more common girl's name which my Dad thought would be fun. He found it in an old will during his research. Yes, I am named after a dead woman he came across coincidentally when researching something historic. Says everything, doesn't it.

So technically my name isn't pronounced quite like the normal version, but after years of trying to correct people, and living through the most bizarre pronunciations, I've given up. I answer to the regular pronunciation now.

My family always use a short version, but I tend to use my full name more now, esp at university. I still encounter spelling issues, albeit my university has a lot of international students with unique spellings in their names and so more effort is made to ensure that people's names get spelt right, even if they seem unusual. So I do better in some ways here than I have done in the past.

I find people misspelling my name to the traditional spelling rude and offensive if I have signed an email or something with the correct spelling, otherwise I accept it as an obvious mistake. I really resent people calling me short versions of the name based on the traditional spelling, as that not only assumes familiarity, it's not even right. I now auto-check everything which has my name on it for an error when it's a form or a letter or anything, because of the high number of mistakes over the years.

My Japanese sensei even tries to correct my katakana to the more traditional pronunciation -.-. Now that is annoying...

I have a slight identity disassociation with the name as a result of all this. I tend to never use it much online, and I still introduce myself as Taffeta at ponycon and such. It's not that I'm trying to be a pony - I just find it easier that way, to associate this name with my pony self, and my real name I leave as a battle for the real world of academics and employers. I have to use my real name in those places - but here I don't, so I won't :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline windsong

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »
I actually do like my name! It's plain (Jessica) and it was in the top ten names the year I was born, but I was named after my mom's dad. He died when she was 7 so I love having that legacy. :) I don't like my middle name because it's even plainer than Jessica, lol. My last name is a nice long Polish name, which is cool and frustrating. Hahaha! :P

~ My Etsy Shop ~ Arena Sales ~ Wants ~ My Book Blog ~ TY Badjuju86 4 avatar  :heart:

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2016, 04:06:17 PM »
nope.
Growing up I never knew what my name meant. I was told it meant nothing in Spanish because my name was made up - in contrast to my sister whose first and middle name means Princess Beautiful, and my mom's name in Spanish was Beautiful. then there's me; meaningless.

same with my middle name. No one could tell me where it came from or what it meant. I didn't have it as a family tradition like my brother, my name wasn't in the bible like my sister...I was just ...whatever they happened to think of when they were put on the spot???

years later my dad told me the story about how the name came from something about how the 80's were a new generation, a pioneering era - so they chose a name from back in the pioneering days...like Gone With The Wind.
Couple things wrong with that...

GWTW didn't take place during the "pioneering era" and the only person with my name is one of the wussiest male characters in the history of literature. (i might be exaggerating)
so, you named me after some weak man from the wrong era and have no idea what it means? At least I have a traditional spelling...?

it wasn't until a couple years ago when I bought my house and found that there were groves of Ash Trees that I started to really like my name. *I* was in *my* yard.
and my middle name means FREE. another thing I had to look up on my own since both my names were seemingly plucked from nowhere. My middle name is my maternal grandmother's name, so that's lovely, but I never knew what it meant...

So now, I am a Grove of Trees, but I am Free. I'm a free tree. I put down roots but I go where I want. It suits me, all told, but ugh! I think if I could change it, I would.
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »
I am pretty neutral about my name, I guess.  I like it, but don't love it.  I don't feel super attached to it and I don't have any nicknames derived from it either.

I do feel weird introducing myself by my real name at pony cons.  I've just used online pseudonyms for so long that they feel "natural" in a pony context.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal