collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Insured ponies  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Insured ponies
« on: January 06, 2016, 08:46:31 PM »
Does anyone insure their ponies? My agent likes me to make sure I have enough coverage to reasonably replace all our possessions in case of disaster. With my more recent influx of ponies, I realized I would in no way be able to replace them. I did just a partial price check on values and came up with well over $2000.00 and I'm just a beginner. Does anyone have a good price estimate by generation? Like $3 per g4 or something along those lines? I'm pretty sure I don't have anything rare. I just don't think my numbers are right.

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
Re: Insured ponies
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 09:10:23 AM »
omg...I have been worried about this for a while...I have insurance for so much of household items...but I need to get a collection insurance....I have a major collection of just g1s....just one of my spain ponies is worth $5,000....so yeah...problem is a lot of them are not replaceable...some are ooaks.....then I have 5 Colombian boys...they can be spendy....so yeah...I gotta insure them soon.....I would have to go through and individually price each...I have the full u.s. set, German, UK, Peru, mexico, Macau almost my french...plus spain and italy are not too far behind....massive massive collection =).....I worry everytime I leave my house....lol

Offline Vintageg2

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Love G2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 12:36:17 PM »
Giving you a bump, my collection is also starting to get quite valuable and I would love to know how other members handle this!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline h1m3.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 02:04:26 AM »
I have thought about this. I have over 200 G1s (not much in some scales) and if I lose them it really would be a big mess... I have scearched insurances but I have to say at least in Finland I haven't found a good deal... that why my ponies doesn't have insurance, yet. I will sreach and wait for the right one to come. Untill then I keep my fingers crossed that nothing happens to my precious.

You should list all the ponies you got, usually with photos too, and get some value on them. That is the start if you lost something you need to have pic etc to proof of you did have the pony. Insurance companies can be pretty precise so you should too.

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 06:57:53 PM »
Well I know what I will be doing during my time off next week.  I will take individual  pictures of my more valuable ponies and group pictures of ponies that all have the a similar price point.  What's going to suck is I will now have a good idea of just how much I have spent.  Some things are better left unknown  >_<

Post Merge: January 08, 2016, 07:00:30 PM

omg...I have been worried about this for a while...I have insurance for so much of household items...but I need to get a collection insurance....I have a major collection of just g1s....just one of my spain ponies is worth $5,000....so yeah...problem is a lot of them are not replaceable...some are ooaks.....then I have 5 Colombian boys...they can be spendy....so yeah...I gotta insure them soon.....I would have to go through and individually price each...I have the full u.s. set, German, UK, Peru, mexico, Macau almost my french...plus spain and italy are not too far behind....massive massive collection =).....I worry everytime I leave my house....lol

I think you need to put a tour of your pony room on youtube!! :worshippy:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:00:30 PM by jrr74 »
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline h1m3.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 01:13:53 AM »
What's going to suck is I will now have a good idea of just how much I have spent.  Some things are better left unknown  >_<

I have an excel sheet were I have listed my ponies and the prices I bought them. Some are definetly bought overpriced and some are great deals. Original thought was that  I know exactly which ponies I have and for future insurance stuff etc.
 I haven't counted their sum.. it would be so easy on excel but I just don't want to know how much I have spend on them LOL :D

Offline Portobella

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Is it about my cube?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 02:08:33 AM »
My ponies are insured under my Contents house insurance. I keep an updated spreadsheet of my collection that lists approximate value, along with a photo album (backed up online) as proof of the ponies I own. Because I am dealing with contents insurance, I value ponies based on their replacement value, or average worth, and I keep eBay records and receipts for most purchases as additional proof of their value.

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 04:57:28 AM »
I talked with my insurance agent about this semi-recently.  Most standard homeowners insurance policies will include at least a little coverage toward a small collection; however, with the extent that many of our collections are, it exceeds the coverage that a standard policy covers.

My agent said I would need an appraiser to come in - or if there was a book to show value, they would accept that, as well.  I love Summer's book, but since it was published years ago, some of the prices are a bit out of date.  As for a toy appraiser... I struggle to see who would actually be able to come in an appraise each pony value better than me or one of my other few pony friends nearby (in the region anyway :)

I may just go with book value on the mint side to at least get a ballpark - and it'd be better than nothing!

**I may explore other options since I think there are other ways to go about insuring them! - or other venues I can use.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:59:55 AM by STLGusty »

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 08:52:47 AM »
When I was updating our home insurance and mentioned I have a collection of ponies, I just got a funny look and nothing else...   -_- I'd also suggest cataloguing your ponies with photos and values (this is something I need to do too). And storing it somewhere online, just in case! *knock on wood*

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 12:48:06 PM »
 *searches* Yes, looks like someone asks at least once a year. 

Here you are, hopefully this information is current enough for your insurance agents:

2012:  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,309802.0.html

2013: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,337403.0.html

2014: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,353986.0.html

2015: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,367867.0.html

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 03:01:01 PM »
Thank you so much for all the information  :) My agent said to up my normal coverage for the more common ponies and take pictures of groups no bigger than ten each. For the rare ones I have to take individual pictures with price quotes and forecasted appreciation to be updated with every renewal. All your help is appreciated by both of us.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »
Sounds like you are doing the right thing :) - just make sure you tell your insurance company. Some of them are happy to include "collections" of under a certain value within your home contents while others have financial limits which means they will not cover collections over certain value. Some will not cover collections which have individual pieces over a certain value; some are only interested in the total value.

Sounds like you are getting things worked out!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 06:41:43 PM »
Good info!  ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal