collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What makes a pony a Nirvana Pony?  (Read 441 times)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
What makes a pony a Nirvana Pony?
« on: January 06, 2016, 05:17:37 PM »
So according to the website MyLittleWiki, "Nirvana ponies are pony variants with very limited distribution. (Variants on the ponies sold in North America)."

I have the book, The World of My Little Pony Nirvana Guide and in it includes ponies distributed to Germany only.  So looking at the definition put out by MyLittleWiki, I don't see how ponies such as Nightlight and Raindrop fit in.  As far as I know, the US does not have a version of either one of these ponies, similar perhaps.  And if these two do somehow fit into the definition of a Nirvana Pony, wouldn't many of the UK released ponies too?  That brings up another question, what exactly is a European released pony?  Does it apply to any pony sold within the borders of Europe?  Please , someone educate me!
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a pony a Nirvana Pony?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 05:27:24 PM »
So much just depends on who you talk to. :). Usually, I think Raindrop and Nightlight are included as Nirvanas because they were part of the set with alt pose Skydancer and Starshine, and weren't released with any other sets(I think!), if that makes sense? It's easier to include a whole set as 'Nirvana' then just part of a set, so all the German rainbows are included.
I also think it has to do with if the pony was limited numbers or not; for example, there's a lot of baby Bowtie, but not a lot of the Nestie babies.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline jrr74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 05:40:56 PM »
That helps, thank you lunar_scythe.  There is no clear cut line of who belongs to the Nirvana group.  it is all a matter of perspective.  Of course, your response raises another question.  What exactly are Nestie babies?  I have seen this  word before, but have no idea who it refers to.  My pony ignorance is really beginning to shine now  :blush:

:sunny:

Never mind, just found the answer myself.  I happen to own one of these baby ponies :blush:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:50:27 PM by jrr74 »
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
I was very confused by this when I first got into the online collector community, too! And I agree, a lot of it can depend on who you're talking to - some people consider certain of the German/Dutch ponies to be Nirvana, but others might consider only the internationally released variant ponies.

For myself, I consider the German Dutch ponies to be grouped with UK/European exclusives, rather than actual Nirvana. The ones I consider Nirvana are the others - the ones where the countries altered the look of the ponies' designs all over the place, lol! It makes sense to me to group them this way, because if I remember correctly, the German and Dutch ponies and the alternate birthflower ponies were all produced by Hasbro, whereas the other ponies (Italians, Argies, etc.) were licensed by Hasbro, but produced by other companies. Someone please correct me if I'm remembering this incorrectly, but I did just glance at a few backcard photos as well to try and confirm for myself, lol

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 06:55:44 PM »
I thought Nirvanas were ponies with alternate poses/colors, like Argie Milky Way and Brazil Bowtie and ponies like Nightlight and Raindrop were country exclusives?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 03:44:20 AM »
I think you should red the stickie in the Nirvana forum. :)
What I can tell you is that the term Nirvana pony was developed on the Arena back in 2003.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline jrr74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 04:19:31 AM »
I think you should red the stickie in the Nirvana forum. :)
What I can tell you is that the term Nirvana pony was developed on the Arena back in 2003.

Thank you. After I posted this, I realized I probably should have placed it in the Nirvana forum.  And while I was digging around there, I may have stumbled across the definition :blush:

I have been doing a lot of blushing lately.  Live and learn
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 11:49:29 AM »
drugs, mostly

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:00:08 PM »

I've always found it a dubious term too, because even though it's the Arena's term, and therefore the Arena definition is the official one, there are so many different interpretations of it. The term never existed when all the variant info stuff began to happen online, so it's a term that I learned to use because other people use it, but I don't really use it within the context of my collection. I still use variant for other country made ponies, and I don't consider the German Rainbow Ponies within that context.

It's a term that is useful but only if it's used in a clearcut way.

@Violet CM...lol :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »
We left this question in the Corral rather than Nirvana because its one of those really weird and grey areas - as you are asking about ponies which different people will have different opinions on. As others have said it depends who you ask and everyone has slightly different opinions. Its also not helped by sets which have some ponies which may fall under one part of the description and other ponies which fall under others.

For me personally I go by ponies which were not made in Hong Kong/China. I like the definition nice and clear cut - for me other else is properly "nirvana". But many others will consider some ponies which are made there under the Nirvana umbrella - from Germans to Princesses oddities.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline MANIMAL!

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 04:03:24 PM »
Nirvana ponies are ponies that have realized that the self is an illusion and attained a state of enlightenment, escaping samsara and the cycle of death and rebirth. Also, they smell like teen spirit.

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 08:19:10 PM »
I was just thinking of asking myself! Thank you.  :)

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 09:36:15 PM »
Nirvana ponies are ponies that have realized that the self is an illusion and attained a state of enlightenment, escaping samsara and the cycle of death and rebirth. Also, they smell like teen spirit.

*crying with laughter right now*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal