collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 2016 Disney Swap: All shipped! Waiting on boxes!  (Read 39855 times)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Disney Swap: Sign-Ups: Start shopping!
« Reply #330 on: February 03, 2016, 06:35:57 AM »
How many people are in denial about going way over the spending limit xD I keep finding little things here and there and Ill say "well it's only $3 or $5" ... only that's happened quite a few times now and well.. I suppose a couple dollars here and there add up.. but hey math was never my strongest subject so I'm going to assume that I'm TOOOTALY on track, budget wise. ;)  :angel:

What budget?  I didn't know there was a budget.  I just got what I wanted.  Where in the world did you hear that?  I can't manage budgets.  That is why I have over 400 ponies.   :drunk:

I am going to deny everything.  Its safer that way. :hifive:

Math, oh I don't do math well.  Lets not discuss math.    :P
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:39:34 AM by tulagirl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #331 on: February 03, 2016, 06:38:10 AM »
Question: Would you mind if I wrap one of your gifts in a box from a jewelry store?

Go for it. :) I always open boxes to find out what's inside during a swap. It's always best not to assume they are what the box says unless it's obviously swap related. (And even then I'd open since I'm generally not an MIB collector.) I've sent stuff in Mystery Mini boxes, snack boxes and who knows whatelse in the last year. Some stuff needs a box or it's impossible to wrap. :lol:

So, do you think you went over budget?

There's absolutely no doubt I went over. I always go over. But I never assume my partner is going to, nor do I expect it. The way I see it, retailers don't know I'm working with an insert-budget-here allowance, and I tend to have to tailor my spending based on what I want to buy. I also agree with you about little things adding up, True. The important thing, I think, is that I never spend to a point where I would ever hurt my own finances. I do know when to stop if I need to.

When I buy for a box, my process tends to work like this: Core Theme (in this case Disney) > Extras (physical) > Treats. I plan my boxes around these three separate components and I budget for each individually, based on my partner's likes, the swap theme, etc. I tend to plan my core purchases carefully and think about them for a few days (when possible) before I start purchasing. Sometimes extras are planned in that more meticulous way and get bought along with the core stuff, sometimes they get purchased with the treats. It's when I go to get stuff locally that I tend to get into trouble. Anyone who's seen one of my boxes knows I love to send treats. :lol: And I have no hesitation in sending other little odds and ends, which is where random costs sometimes come in. If something isn't very pricey and I think "Oh! (Name) would love that!" odds are good it's going in the box if it's little and not going to alter the size of box I plan to use.

Box size tends to be how I keep myself under some semblance of control. I tend to like the boxes that my Arcade Block come in as a first resort (I think they're 8 x 11 x 5?) I will go up a size if I absolutely have to, but I'm really, really fussy about choosing a box. When my partner gets it, I want it to be full. :lol:

That may have been more info than you were looking for, but I don't get a lot of opportunity to talk about how I put my boxes together and I put a lot of time into them. So I find it fun being able to give a bit of insight into how my process works. I get a lot of enjoyment out of all the aspects of swapping--visiting with everyone and getting to know them, researching new things if I'm not familiar with someone's interests, shopping, choosing a beautiful design to tie the box together, receiving my box, finding out what everyone else got and what my partner thought of what I chose... I don't worry that much about extra costs involved, because since I love pretty much everything about swapping those additional costs practically pay for themselves.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #332 on: February 03, 2016, 06:51:13 AM »
I love hearing the thought process behind how people put their boxes together! I.. I kinda dont have one specifically, xD especially for this sort of swap. I don't have access to a disney store, and I don't have a LOOT of resources for online shopping at the moment, though I did get one or two things online for this swap.

SO I make a list of my partners things, with key points, things I know I can find, and things I'm not sure about. Then I just hit up the stores and shop. xD There were a few movies that I wasn't sure that I would find anything for, but then I did and was SUPER excited about it. lol

I was out with my mom yesterday and had another one of those moments where.. "OMG that would be perfect! and its ONLY $5!" xD I still MIGHT go back for it? just because I had tried to find something for this specific character and so far had been unlucky, at least with anything that would fit inside the box haha.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 03, 2016, 07:12:36 AM »
The first thing I usually do in a swap is save the wanted list on my computer so I can refer to it a lot.  I make a little note for myself on what the main gifts are going to be, extras and candy.  I  never consider candy an extra. I am strange I know.  Anyway, I decide after looking over the wanted list what the favorite items might be if its mentioned. I try to go for those. If its a theme box, I really try to get something from each theme favorite if I can.  Sometimes I might not find enough good things in a certain category.  I try to get a picture of what my partner really loves and read between the lines on things they really would want from their list.  I will usually purchase several things in case something arrives broken, damaged or who knows what.  I make lists on everything that is coming and check them off as they go into the box.  Then its about this time that I start looking for extras and I always go over with extras because they are fun to me.  Once I have everything I try to wrap it in a paper I think my partner would like based on interests.  I almost always have to have a larger box.  For me its all about packing so nothing breaks or gets damaged.  So, I go with a larger box so I can use packing peanuts or air pillows.  I always go over on my boxes because, I love to give.  Sometimes I have been known to add something silly and off the wall in a box just for humor.  I do plan my international boxes a bit differently as I tend to stick with box size on those and plan accordingly so I don't have to send it priority mail.  As I can never afford it and boy the prices for that have gone so high. I usually send registered mail for swaps that are international.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:16:53 AM by tulagirl »

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 03, 2016, 07:39:42 AM »
Did I overspend? Oh absolutely. I try to forget how much I spent hahah. I was probably close to double the budget when everything is said and done. I have a problem haha.

As for how I put a box together. I save my partners Wishlist to my phone so I have access at all times. Then I start thinking about the big gifts and look for those. As I'm out at the grocery store, target, etc I am always looking for extras. And usually end up getting -something- every time I'm out. As for when I'm done? It's more of a feeling. I look at all the things I have and if I feel the box is good at that point, I'll quit "looking" but if I "find" something while out, I'll still get it haha.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 03, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »
Would you mind if I wrap one of your gifts in a box from a jewelry store?
Not at all! :)

As for going over the budget... Oh yes, definitely! XD I keep finding things my partner would like, and then I end up adding them. I tend to take my partner's list with me whenever I go out and, if I see something I think they'd like, I wind up buying it usually!

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Mori_LeStrange

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 03, 2016, 06:23:23 PM »
Patner do you mind if I use an old box from a jewelry store to wrap one of your items in? I don't want you to be disappointed that it's not jewelry when you open it.

Go right ahead!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #337 on: February 03, 2016, 07:30:57 PM »
Teaser pic! I'll be shipping out either tomorrow or Friday. :D

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #338 on: February 03, 2016, 10:24:21 PM »
Love the paper, Ringwraith. Very pretty teaser. :)

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 04, 2016, 06:08:29 AM »
Yay beautiful teaser!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 04, 2016, 08:55:50 AM »
Wow! Great teaser. :) I still need to wrap my items. I'm hoping to get that done soon.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 04, 2016, 10:09:17 AM »

Here is my teaser.  I had an item go missing in the mail, so if it shows up there could be something extra in your box partner.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 04, 2016, 11:41:51 AM »

Wow, very pretty! I see a wrapping paper theme emerging here...

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 04, 2016, 01:51:26 PM »
Where did everyone find the little mermaid wrapping paper? I love it!

ETA: my partners box shows delivered!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 04, 2016, 02:05:47 PM »
Where did everyone find the little mermaid wrapping paper? I love it!

I think I got mine at Walgreens, but it was a few years ago...

I got a slip from UPS today saying they had a package for me (but they didn't leave it at my door) -- this was probably a book I ordered, but I have no idea what package it actually was...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal