collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ikea cabinets for ponies  (Read 1680 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Ikea cabinets for ponies
« on: January 01, 2016, 11:14:18 PM »
I was debating buying a few of these to display my ponies (am I allowed to link?)
http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/60300656/

Has anyone used this one? Do you have a picture of how's unit can hold? I was planning on making risers. Has anyone painted it because I thought about doing that as well.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ikea cabinets for ponies
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 05:47:43 AM »
Haven't used those ones, but lots of collectors use the Billy line from ikea for their pony shelves. I expect you could paint them, although I'd be worried about the paint transferring to the ponies.

Elf

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 05:50:56 AM »
That's a cool cabinet! I've been using the IKEA Detolf but the one you showed is certainly more attractive...

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 05:54:21 AM »
Hmm I looked at the Billy ones but don't like them. :lol: I'm not worried about paint transfer what happens happens. I'll have to order it online though because the nearest store it looks like so in another state, so I'm unable to judge size at a regular store. >_<

Formerly Maddie

Offline buttonso

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 05:56:36 AM »
Hmm I looked at the Billy ones but don't like them. :lol: I'm not worried about paint transfer what happens happens. I'll have to order it online though because the nearest store it looks like so in another state, so I'm unable to judge size at a regular store. >_<

If I recall correctly their shipping is monstrous- you may be better off planning a road trip!  :lol:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 06:09:56 AM »

If I recall correctly their shipping is monstrous- you may be better off planning a road trip!  :lol:
I drive an SUV and I would have to stay in a hotel with the distance. That's about a $200 + trip. Shipping is only $44. That's not bad for the size of those items.

Formerly Maddie

Offline buttonso

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 06:13:20 AM »
Ahh- when I was shopping the Detolf they wanted like $100+ for shipping- but it's all glass so that might have upped the cost. I apologize.  :blush:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 06:46:58 AM »
That's a nice cabinet. Buy whatever reflects your tastes.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 07:30:51 AM »
Definitely read up on how to prep the surface for painting seeing how it has a veneer or laminate finish.  I was going to paint my fake wood looking cabinets but 1) too much effort for me and  :blush: 2) would have a hard time selling them down the road.  If I had white ones, I would definitely go for painting them. Of course, paint before putting them together.  I ended up purchasing some decals for my curios to help girly them up/lighten the mood  :satisfied:
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline CarolSpain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
Hi!
I have Billy cabinet and I'm glad with it (but I understand someone doesn't like it, obviously  :biggrin:)
There's space for a lot of ponies and it's not too big.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Now I have it with an addiotional shelf than on the second picture and I'm thinking to add the height extension unit.
If you have pics of MIB with text in Spanish, please, share with me!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 02:49:39 PM »
I was debating buying a few of these to display my ponies (am I allowed to link?)
http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/60300656/

Has anyone used this one? Do you have a picture of how's unit can hold? I was planning on making risers. Has anyone painted it because I thought about doing that as well.

I've been hoping they either still have Billy cases when I have a pony room - mainly, I like that they have that nice corner unit for a clean and continuous look, no wasted space!

The one you've linked looks really nice, too! I like the white for ponies, but I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea. If you wanted to paint it, I'd get the white one and just find paint and sealer that would work well over the materials. The product description on the website says that case is made from:

Main parts: Particleboard, Foil
Side panel/ Frame: Particleboard, Foil, ABS plastic
Back: Fiberboard, Acrylic paint
Shelf/ Glass panel: Tempered glass
Rail: Fiberboard, Foil

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 04:53:59 PM »
Do you have a thrift or second hand shop in your area?  We have seen many a wonderful cabinet at our local ones, that are much easier on your budget. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 11:44:25 AM »
Its a bit of a subjective question as its very much going to depend on taste.

Have you tried measuring out the size of the shelves? That will give you a good idea of how many ponies you will manage to get in. They only thing I would say is that the glass panels are quite small and the wood sections quite wide - you may not be able to see as many ponies on display as other styles may permit.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 12:21:27 PM »
Just going by the listed dimensions, I would estimate that cabinet could hold about 150 regular G1 ponies if you really packed them in. It's quite a bit smaller than a standard Billy bookcase, but if you like the aesthetics better, then that's what counts. :)

Painting laminate is pretty tricky. You have to specially prime it first or the paint will just chip right off. You might have an easier time using contact/shelf paper to achieve the look you want. It'll probably be more expensive than paint to cover the whole thing, but it requires less labor and you can get all kinds of fancy patterns and colors.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »
Do you have a thrift or second hand shop in your area?  We have seen many a wonderful cabinet at our local ones, that are much easier on your budget.
I've been scouting tbem and sometimes I can find a good deal. My model horse china cabinet I got was around $150 but lately the ones I seem to like are out of my price range. Like this lovely $500 dollar one I found recently. I don't know I've been looking a year and thought I might break down and try the IKEA ones. I would prefer to get one locally. We actually don't have a ton of flea markets or thrift shops here with very high turn over. The same stuff sits there for ages. There is a consignment furniture store I check where after so many days the price drops. I've had problems with people snagging before me and they don't do holds over the phone so either I'm there to get t or not. I thought it might be nice to have matching cabinets anyway since I'm redoing the guest room. I do think I'll try my luck at the shops again before ordering thee though. ^.^

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I'm still reading through them and lol Carol I actually like it in your pictures. I might change my mind. :lol:

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal