collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did anyone NOT have childhood ponies?  (Read 1183 times)

Emerald

• Trade Count: (0)
Did anyone NOT have childhood ponies?
« on: December 31, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »
I have a FB friend who never had ponies growing up but is showing interest in them now because I talk about them so much (I REGRET NOTHING!) It made me wonder how many collectors we have here on the arena that didn't grow up collecting and playing with MLP.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Did anyone NOT have childhood ponies?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 01:15:10 PM »
I meaaannn... basically I didn't. I has exactly 2 ponies as a child - 1 baby and 1 petite. They both came from car boot sales, very well loved already when I got them. So I didn't really grow up playing with/collecting ponies.

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »
I didn't. I grew up during the G3 era and honestly I'm surprised I didn't even have one. After I learned about G4, that's when I started collecting.  :)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
I didn't have ponies, I was a tomboy and loathed anything girly as a child. I wouldn't even go near the pink aisle in toy stores so I was only vaguely aware of G3 ponies anyway. I did find a Lanard pony at a white elephant stall when I was in primary school and thought it was cute, but it wasn't until I was in University and G4 came out that I decided I was allowed to like girly things if I wanted to. Since then I've discovered a love for ponies that spans all generations.

My GF had a couple 2nd hand ponies as a child, she had what she thinks was a Medley and a Posey, which coincidentally became my favourite pony at first sight. ^.^
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 01:46:37 PM »
The only ponies I remember having are the McDonalds ones and these mystery tiny ponies that had these little houses you could carry them in, like Polly pocket. I was more of a doll girl, which is interesting since most of them terrify me now XD If I had any other ponies, they were always off-brand. I remember on-brand being too expensive.

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 02:00:10 PM »
I didn't exactly have childhood ponies.  I was the oldest kid in my family and was born in 1990.  So no hand-me-down G1s and My Little Pony wasn't consistently in stores(g2 didn't last long in USA) until they came back in 2003.  I immediately started a collection, but at that point I would have been 13.  So not really a child?  More like my teenagehood ponies.  I still have them all!  They're on two special shelves.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »
*raises hand*

I grew up in the 90s and knew of MLP, but I was more into Barbie and Polly Pocket. I also guess that, being born in 1990, MLP wasn't really a big thing by the time I was able to notice. Didn't care for ponies until I started watching Friendship is Magic in 2010.

Also, despite liking Barbie, I was the biggest tomboy. I saw ponies as being too "girly" because I didn't see a point in them aside from brushing their hair. Ah...kid me was a weird one.

I do collect G1 ponies now, but being on this site always made me feel like I was the only one who didn't grow up with MLP being a part of my life. :lol:
Instagram / Want List

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 02:49:13 PM »

Also, despite liking Barbie, I was the biggest tomboy. I saw ponies as being too "girly" because I didn't see a point in them aside from brushing their hair. Ah...kid me was a weird one.

lol! My ponies all had adventures, similar to the kinds of things they did on the show. My ninja turtles used to ride them into battle sometimes, and my Star Trek action figures had adventures with them occasionally, too.  :P

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 03:53:48 PM »
Me.  Daughter got me into it when she was 3-4ish.   Getting multiples got me into customizing. 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 04:06:20 PM »
I didn't have MLP's growing up, I had Sindy dolls and a small selection of baby dollys. My friend had some ponies and the Lullabye nursery which I remember playing with.  I actually "inherited" her collection when her parents were clearing out the attic and she said I could have them as I was collecting now!

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 07:19:47 PM »
I don't think I had any MLP's growing up, but I did have a couple Breyer horses!

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 08:04:37 PM »
I, too, grew up ponyless. I honestly didn't even know the brand existed until G3 came out (and, not only had I outgrown toys that weren't stuffed animals then, my only opinion on them was I hated the MLP jingle). I guess I can blame that on growing up in the G2 era when ponies weren't easily found in the toy aisle.

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »
Me. It never really came up.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 01:04:46 AM »
Me too. I was another huge tomboy growing up. Couldn't PAY me to have something so "girly". I started with G4 when I was in my late teens(I say that as if that wasn't only 2 years ago...)

Hilariously, I always had a distant aunt who REALLY liked horses/ponies and wanted me to be into them when I was 4 or 5. And me, being the brat that I was, the response I always gave was "I hate ponies!" and she'd tell me "You'll like them someday!" Man...if she knew about me and my G4 collection now. :lol: I don't think she'd ever let me live it down.

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 05:40:26 AM »
Interesting stories everyone. :) Can't say I relate since I've always had ponies, from a toddler up.  :P

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal